I need to get into keg for xmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerome Sidley

Reaction score
I have four batches of ale that I brewed for Christmas they are all sitting about 1.02 so not quite finished, however, I was to have them conditioned in time for Christmas. Can I keg them now with slightly less priming sugar? Wait until they hit 1.0 and then prime? or wait till finished and force carb?

do you normally force carb or prime in the keg? If it were me I would let it finish out and then keg/force carb given the amount of time left until Christmas so I could get the carbonation levels where I wanted them

Do what you think is best based on how long it normally takes to get to your carb levels. I would think 2 weeks would be the minimum- although I'm basing that on my experience with bottling I've never primed in the keg.

Even if you set your pressure at 12-15 PSI you'd get your carb levels in 10-14 days depending on temp

Even if you set your pressure at 12-15 PSI you'd get your carb levels in 10-14 days depending on temp

It's what I do. I set mine at 10# @ 40 degrees and it takes about 7-10 days. It takes patients to wait, but an over carbonated keg is hard to fix if you can.

It's what I do. I set mine at 10# @ 40 degrees and it takes about 7-10 days. It takes patients to wait, but an over carbonated keg is hard to fix if you can.

Yup I'm high 40's at 12PSI and takes about 10 days. Its worth it in my opinion to do it this way. I will occasionally get impatient and force carb 30PSI for 3 days then set to serving pressure and that works well too.

Back