I need help buying my first keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy my first keg system, but honestly, this is new territory for me and I could really use some piece of mind with the decision I'm making...

#1 I'm not converting my fridg YET, but I might have a 1 keg kegerator in the future (2 years from now?) so this is not a big concern but I'd like to be able to reuse as much of the equipment as possible when this time comes.

#2 I'll only have 1 keg running at a time, but in the future I'd like to be able to have a second keg stored and ready to go from a 10 gallon batch. Therefore the system need only focus on one keg at a time.

#3 I know nothing about regulators... help me here

#4 ball or pin locks? I have no opinion

#5 New or Used? Used is just fine. I'm all about reusing, especially if it saves on money

#6 Need the o2 tank too

#7 No mounting the spout please. I'll have to open the fridg door, grab the trigger, and pour my glass.

#8 Please try and keep the tab under $200, shipping included.

This option seems good, help me configure or share your site!
http://www.kegconnection.com/1-faucet-basic-homebrew-kegerator-kit/

Thanks!:mug:

# 1
Watch Craig's list for used kegerators they are always showing up. I got a 3 tap unit with the c02 tank regulator and 3 kegs for around 300 bucks. I'm sure you can get a single tap much cheaper if you are not in a hurry.

You "think" you will only have one keg running at a time but you will soon find out life would be better if you could server 2 beers. I'm just saying don't box yourself in, plan for growth. ;-)

you use the regulator to carbonate your beer and to server the beer. There's a lot of info out there on how to force carbonate beer so I won't go into that here. If you have to buy one just watch http://www.homebrewfinds.com/ till one comes on sale. I have bought a used one before and I'm sure you can get a good used one but sooner or later people don't pay attention to what they are doing and shoot beer into it which can lead to sticking parts. If I have to buy one now it will be new.

I tried to stick to pinlock as my standard. Didn't work, you will end up with both so don't spend a lot of time worrying about which one you need to buy. Find something you can afford and buy it. If you have a specific size fridge or kegerator you are working with you might want to measure as the Ball lock are a little taller and skinnier and the pin lock are shorter and fatter (or is it the other way around).

Used, there's no benefit to buying new IMO. The price for a new one usually makes the choice easy. Several sites/LHBS sell repair kits and you can always find specials on reconditioned kegs. That said it's not a bad idea to try your local home brew store first. That way you can make sure it doesn't leak. Most of the time they will put a few pounds of pressure in them before they put them out on the floor. Careful you don't get Coke spray on you when you test the pressure, they rarely clean them. You can clean them by filling with water and tossing some unscented oxyclean or PBW in there and let it soak a few days. I normally take it apart and soak the posts in a small bowl.

Do not spend a lot of money on a C02 tank because the 1st thing you will do is go exchange it at Home Depot for a full one and it will not be a pretty one. It's like propane tank exchanges. The good news is it will last a long time like 2+ years on a single tap before you have to exchange it again.

You can use an Faucet Assembly or the picnic assembly.

Just keep an eye on Craig's list, homebrew finds and local club forums. People are always posting things you just have to exercise patience. ;-)

Latest posts

Back