I need advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaug

Reaction score
So.....
I want to start brewing my own beer. I love the craft beer taste and I enjoy making things on my own.

I'm planning on hitting the local homebrew shop to pick up all the homebrew implements of destruction.

My question is this: I have read here and there about not even starting with the 'canned kit', and after reading a bit, I'm not even sure what they were meaning by the 'canned kit'. It seemed to me that the other 'kits' also had a can of ingredients as well. Here, from the book : How to brew by John Palmer.

Perhaps you've been to a homebrew supply store and seen some of the many commercial beer kits that are packaged for the beginning homebrewer. Usually these kits are composed of an attractively labeled can of hopped extract, a packet of yeast, and easy instructions - Just Add Sugar and Water. And if you follow those instructions you will be disappointed with the results. My first beer kit was a bitter disappointment due to the lame instructions on the can. The instructions said something like, "Add 2 pounds of corn sugar or table sugar; Boil if you want to; ferment for 1 week at room temperature; and bottle after that." The result? Sparkling pond water.

You don't need a kit to make your first batch. (And for heaven's sake, don't buy one of those of beer-in-a-bag-type kits.) Brewing beer is not mysterious, it's very straightforward. And despite the many different names and packaging, many kits taste the same. The reason is the yeast and the instructions provided in the kit. A study was carried out several years ago which discovered that many malt extract manufacturers were adulterating their extracts with corn sugar or other simple sugars. Everything is good in moderation, but when the kit starts out as half sugar and then instructs the brewer to add a couple pounds more, the resulting beer will not measure up.

In the time since that study was published however, homebrewing has grown greatly in popularity and has become much more aware of the necessity for high quality ingredients. Malt extract producers have responded to the new awareness in the marketplace with renewed pride in their products. There are a lot of good extracts and beer style kits to choose from these days.

Beer Kit Rules
1. Don't follow the instructions on the can to add cane or corn sugar.
2. Don't use the yeast that came with the can (Unless it is a name brand and has a use-by date code).
The reason is that the yeast that is supplied with the can may be more than a year old and has most likely experienced harsh shipping conditions. It may have been poor quality yeast to begin with. It is better to buy a name brand yeast that is more reliable. For more information on yeast, see Chapter 6.

Any and all thoughts from you are welcome.
Thanks !

There are extracts that come in a can and some variations are pre-hopped... My LHBS has big 55 gal barrels with LME in those and he just pours it into a container. Personally, I skipped the canned extract as I didn't even know it existed when I started. I did two batches of LME and specialty grains then jumped straight into all grain. Also, don't be afraid to just use the instructions in Palmer's book vs following the instructions that come with the kit.

Hi Theaug,

Don't worry about it - you're not likely to find the kinds of kits that Palmer's talking about at your friendly neighborhood homebrew shop. Tell the folks in the shop what kind of beer you like, and make sure you let them know this is your first brew. They'll put together a simple ale kit for you with malt extract, hops and yeast, and maybe some specialty grains, and they'll give you clear brewing instructions so it will be easy, fun, and very tasty.

Don't let them up-sell you on equipment, though. Start simple and cheap. If you get hooked, you'll spend lots of money later, but you'll know better what equipment to buy after you've learned more.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

+1, but one item that I found worth its weight in gold is a solid brew pot. I got one from my local brew supply store that is 8 gallons stainless steel that was drilled to install a spigot and thermometer that came with it. It set me back quite a bit, but it has made life so much easier. The 8 gallons lets me do full boils for 5 gallon kits, and I don't have to worry about siphons and fumbling around with a floating thermometer. So, depending on your budget, I would recommend looking into a good brew pot. Not a necessity, but definitely a nicety.

Any of the Brewer's Best kits are top notch and will make a good tasting beer your first attempt. Just leave your beer in the fermentation bucket for 3 weeks and then bottle, ignore the recommendation to transfer to secondary for your first brew, it's not really necessary and adds another opportunity to mess something up on your first attempt.

Back