I need a quick way to crush grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
I just came from my local brewing supplies shop with a 2.5 lb bag of grains. I forgot that I needed them crushed. I'm steeping the grains for 45 minutes later on tonight. Can I just pour them into the blender and pulse them a few times? Or is there a better fix for this? I do have a coffee grinder that I could pulse as well.

Its a pain, but for small amounts (a couple of ounces) I've used an empty beer bottle and rolled it over grains on a chopping board.

Do you have a blender or something like that..? I'd think a coffee grinder would turn it to dust too quickly.. plus it only holds a SMALL amount.. if it's like my grinder :)

I have used my blender, pulse super short look stir pulse again and repeat until it looks right. The issue is that the grain will stay at the bottom and pulverize unless you stir between short pulses.

double bag it...and go drive over it a few times. Bring back inside and rolling pin it a few times.

WARNING - double bag it like a sailor on shore leave!

I did 1 lb with a rolling pin and a ziplock bag (did it in several batches, not all at once) Took FOREVER... well 30 mins or so... I'msure if I did it reguarly like that, I'd get it a bit faster, but not much

Using a wine bottle and cutting board lined with a paper bag, i could only do 2 oz at a time crushing, it use to take me an hr for a couple pounds but that will probably give you the best crush if any of the others dont work for you well.Its a workout.

Back