I miss Guinness...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I've been brewing, I've enjoyed some really great beer..Here in Boston we have some really good guinness.I've been watching a DVD of a U2 show I was at, and getting a hankering for a pint..So I said to my wife that I was going to a local pub Donahues for a pint at 12:00..Kinda late but WTF....I really wanted one..I haven't brewed a stout yet..I hope I can come fairly close to what I drink here. My life would be complete if I couild brew a nice pint...

Just ramblng I guess....Thanks for listening...

Oh ya,,It was really really good......

FWIW, it's not terribly hard to brew a dry stout that's in the ballpark of guinness - there are a lot of good recipes out there. Many of them will get you a little more flavor than guinness, which many would consider a good thing.

Go out and look for a Guiness clone. It would be pretty easy to do I think. Just do pale malt some flaked barley and a slight bit of roasted barley for color but not too much roasted flavor. Do a 60 minute addition of EKG at the start, probably 2 oz and you're good to go.

I am not a big fan of stouts but I did make Brad's dry stout in the recipe databas and it is very easy and tastes great.

Bulls Beers said:
I only do extract batches right now..Are there recipes that are not all-grain?

i have only done extract as well and made the recipe from the book "clone brews" and it was great...actually tasted a bit better i thought

word of caution here, there are two things about real guinness that make it hard to reproduce exactly:

- the guinness people mix in sour guinness with each batch to give it a distinctive taste. you can try and reproduce this but i'm thinking it's pretty tricky
- the serving method - in pubs (and in those draught cans) nitrogen is used, which has tiny bubbles, thus giving the beer its distinctive look. now if you want to go crazy, you can keg with nitrogen (i think it's actually an N2/CO2 mix)

other than that - i think it's pretty easy to make a nice stout - roasted barley, flaked barley for steeping get the colour and also the creamy mouthfeel and some pale extract, nice dry fermenting yeast you'll get a very nice result. as budweiser are telling us in their ads - those dark beers can cover up all the errors
:mug:

Back