I love the cereal mash (unmalted wheat for witbier)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkade

Reaction score
Made a witbier yesterday, and decided to do a cereal mash for the unmalted wheat (soft red winter) and oats as recommended by Mosher to get the desired mouthfeel and wheat character of the style. The cereal mash was 3.5 lbs wheat, 1 pound oats and 2 pounds 6-row. I held for 15 minutes at 122, 15 minutes at 150, and then boiled for 15 minutes. I didn't do a starch conversion on that adjunct mash, but it was sweet so that was a good sign. Then I had my main mash (4 lbs Pils) doughed in at 95, raised to 122, and then to a sach rest at 155 where the final rest was reached by adding the boiling adjunct mash. I had thought this would be a real PIA, but it was easy. FG was 1.052, and I included fresh zest from tangerines and grapefruit, along with coriander and chamomile flower, and I now I can hardly wait to taste this bad boy. Hopefully the cereal mash lives up to its billing.

Did this with doc's wit yesterday. Forgot to add the flour though. Ended up at 1.051. I had the best smelling garage on the block! But to agree, not as a PIA as expected! Cheers!

Back