I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goodness. I should drink oftener than I do. Some beers and I start getting into eighties songs. Having said that

This thread , “I Like this Time at Night on HBT” might not have the big following it did 10 years ago but to me this has always been a home to celebrate life in all its wonders.

I can not explain how wonderful sharing life’s celebrations and tragedies is strengthening.

Dan Dawson

Music makes us

Since about January 2021 I've been trying to teach myself to play some music.

Trying to find ways to stay sane under current circumstances. Your statement reminds me of a John Muir quote, that "man needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and places to pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul".

He was obviously talking about spaces unspoiled by human demolition and construction. I'm very thankful for what he did for the national parks movement.

His statement could be tweaked, something like "man needs beauty as well as bread, moments where appreciation of the labor of artists may heal and give strength to body and soul".

I'm not trying to set up anything competitive between nature and art. Spending time appreciating your favorite art can heal the soul almost as well (or better, depending on what you prefer) as time spent on your favorite rock watching the sun rise or set over the ocean (or large lake, or mountain).

I'm a bit envious of the artists whose muse is nature. Painters and photographers capture amazing moments in the forests, from the peaks of mountains, on boats in the open water.

I've had the good fortune to visit a couple of national parks over the past year. I brought my harmonica both times, but I rarely played it while out on a hike. Silence can be a fantastic experience as well.

Last edited:
There was an old Apple tree ( don’t ask me what type- I was just 10-12 years old) behind my dads office. There was also a huge walnut tree, a lilac bush and and shoot if I can remember some flowers.

Amazing how memories stand out especially if they are associated with smell. My dad smoked a pipe as long as I can remember, all men did back then. Pipe, or cigarettes. Way back in the old days when that was ok.

I’m not saying smoking a pipe or cigar in enclosed spaces was a great idea but to each their own outside.

Not now. You might as well not

I smoke cigars on occasion, like smoking my pipes and enjoying different tobaccos, pipe tobacco and cigars types.

When I was younger smoked cigarettes. Can’t stand them anymore.

Hard to find a place to smoke a cigar or pipe these days. I do believe second hand smoke isn’t great so I don’t smoke in areas that are enclosed. I remember being a kid in the 1970’s during family get togethers. Layers of smoke inside houses. I’m not a proponent of that.

Just want to smoke my pipe and occasionally a cigar outside without some health freak telling me I’m destroying thie lungs. Lungs are strong unless they are let live lethargically and then the slightest sniff of tobacco smoke makes their weakness show.

I am not for cigarette smoking but believe pipe and cigar smoking should have a accepted understanding in society. With the understanding

Dan, you're a good dude, I enjoy chatting with you. We've had pretty different experiences around tobacco. I'm pretty anti-tobacco.

Thankfully, I grew up in a smoke free household. My dad loves to visit with everyone. I remember when I was in early/mid grade school and we'd go to the barbershop, if you can call it that. It was a one man operation a guy ran out of his basement.

Dad would always let everyone else go first. He'd get his hair cut last. I waited impatiently, with no other kids my age there, and I don't remember dad letting me bring any toys or coloring books or anything to entertain me. After dad would get his hair cut he'd stay and keep visiting with the barber, who was closing up, for another half hour or so. The barber always lit up a cigarette after everyone but us had left. I hated it. I already had wanted to leave almost an hour or more before that. I didn't want to breathe that nasty smelling crud in, and if dad didn't like how I behaved, maybe I wasn't hiding my impatience well or an adult actually seemed to want to talk to me and dad didn't like the subject that I talked about, I was going to get some grief about it on the drive home.

I have never handled an individual cigarette. In college I didn't mind hanging out with some of the guys in the frat while they smoked outside, but my then girlfriend now wife can't stand cigarette smoke smell, probably partly because she has some mild respiratory issues. Most of the frat guys have gone on to struggle with quitting smoking. Now, my neighbor's baby momma mostly stopped smoking while she was pregnant, but it seems that she doesn't mind leaving junior in the house by himself once in a while while she steps out for a smoke.

I'm not diagnosed with any lung issue, but I've felt since grade school that my lungs aren't as good as other people my age, despite being a farm kid who attempted to play a couple of sports. I just seem to get winded easier. It's one of the reasons biking is a favorite means of excercise for me.

Those are just some of my life experiences that have shaped my attitude towards tobacco.

Kent
Thank you for standing for your convictions. If we ever get a chance to meet, I’ll do what I always do and smoke outside to not interfere with another person’s health.

My choice isn’t yours and I respect that

Truly
Dan

It’s been raining most of the day here. Hawaii weather.

I lived in the dessert lands of California where rain was rare except when it poured down every few years

I’d rather have rainfall more often. There are a lot of sleep programs that use raindrops. To me that is peaceful to. Mostly. Also means more work which is not a good thing

Kent
Thank you for standing for your convictions. If we ever get a chance to meet, I’ll do what I always do and smoke outside to not interfere with another person’s health.

My choice isn’t yours and I respect that

Truly
Dan

Dan I hope I didn't make you feel attacked. Our positions are clearly in opposition, but I don't have any ill will towards you.

I'll say thank you for offering to smoke outside, not necessarily for me, but because I know that if I ever went to Hawaii, my wife would be there with me and she can't stand tobacco smoke. If it was just me, I'd probably go outside with you, and stand just a little bit further away from you than I would if you weren't smoking, and I'd try to be upwind of you. Or at least not directly downwind.

I forget what prompted it, but I did tell my wife that in the unlikely event that we did make it to Hawaii, I'd want to make some time to see if you'd be able to say hi. Unfortunately, as I said, such a trip is unlikely at this point in our lives. I think we're done flying for a few years with kiddo #2 on the way.

Kent we are good!

Somebody on this thread started playing songs. It was either Passed Pawn or me. I don’t remember. This thread is more years than I can remember

Let me see if I even remember how to post a song

Triumph. My very first concert. Must have been around 1980

Some advertising will probably come first. Hang in there. Music wil come

Man. My buddy and me drove about 90 miles to see a Triumph concert. We had our girlfriends.

We parked the car close to the concert area. And damn! The police showed up. The cops back then gave us a break. Dump your beer. We did

I don't think @passedpawn has popped in here for a couple weeks. Hope he is well. Apparently he's an experienced harmonica player.

I suck at harmonica! I also blow at it :) I guess that's a joke if you know how a harmonica works.

I used to play it a lot. I can still play some basic stuff, and it might impress the uninformed, but certainly I'm not good at it.

Harmonica is a pretty easy thing to master. It doesn't take long to get good at it. Anybody wanting to find a way to groove their musical energy, grab a Lee Oscar "C" harmonica and let it rip. So nice to have a musical instrument fit in your pocket.

Triumph. My very first concert. Must have been around 1980

Some advertising will probably come first. Hang in there. Music wil come

That's cool that you remember your first concert. My county fair was blessed with some pretty good talent scouts who brought in some good acts. I'm sure my first concert must've been at the county fair, but I was too young to remember.

Besides that, I went to a concert or two through the youth group I attended in middle school, and I went to one or two at ffa convention. The last big concert I attended was Garth Brooks, before our first kid came along. It's been a few years.

I suck at harmonica! I also blow at it :) I guess that's a joke if you know how a harmonica works.

Harmonica is a pretty easy thing to master. It doesn't take long to get good at it. Anybody wanting to find a way to groove their musical energy, grab a Lee Oscar "C" harmonica and let it rip. So nice to have a musical instrument fit in your pocket.

Lolz.

Humble brag about how easy it is... I still can't get the hang of tongue blocking. My jaw is a little messed up for reasons I don't understand, so I get kind of tired of practicing that way.

I do pretty well after practicing on my hohner and forcing myself to slow down. I also don't know how to bend yet.

After buying a couple standard diatonics I found one of these on sale, and it's really a different beast that wears out my jaw in a hurry:

(and no, that absolutely isn't me)

Lolz.

Humble brag about how easy it is... I still can't get the hang of tongue blocking. My jaw is a little messed up for reasons I don't understand, so I get kind of tired of practicing that way.

I do pretty well after practicing on my hohner and forcing myself to slow down. I also don't know how to bend yet.

After buying a couple standard diatonics I found one of these on sale, and it's really a different beast that wears out my jaw in a hurry:

(and no, that absolutely isn't me)

I'll bet you're a lot better at it than you let on. Anyway, I want to impress this on the permanent record: I'm not a great harmonica player.

I'll bet you're a lot better at it than you let on. Anyway, I want to impress this on the permanent record: I'm not a great harmonica player.

I'm still very much a beginner. Give me a short-ish piece (I think one of the longest songs I've learned was back in November or December I learned O Holy Night) that doesn't require bending, and a couple days to practice, I can probably do a passable job on it.

Passedpawn, I just saw a note I’m ignoring your replies?? Don’t know how that happened. A one off?

Starting a new job

Something in my head reminded me of an Olivia Newton John song

Let me be there in the morning let me be there in the night
Let me take whatever’s wrong and make it right..make it right
Let me take you to that wonderland that only we can share
All I ask it ooh ooh ohh is let be there

Lol

Real thing

I don’t take the word’s of Olivia’s song direct. I believe she truly talks about love

I’m not going to get mushy on the subject of love…but even the burliest, man -man among us needs love in their life. Without it. We suck!

Their is a song I truly love, Waylon Jennings Did it…

Shoot!
So many great songs across the music realm.
The greatest thing about music is that it’s beautiful in the eyes of the person who likes it. I ask for you to share your favorites here.

If you play please share your music here

With dignity and respect
Dan Dawson

Wew!

I’ve come to the realization that I’m 58 years old. If I live to be a ripe old age of 88 I got 30 more years. My mom and dad died of cancer in their mid 60’s. Cancer sucks ass.

They both were the youngest of their siblings of four. The brothers and sisters less one of my moms sisters died in her late eighties are all stil alive except my dad’s oldest brother, My uncle who died at 96

The rest are all kicking it into their 90s

I recently broke my upper right leg. Effing stupid accident. Broke it near the top of the right femur. Surgeon tried to put it back in place, then he would screw bones back together. Didn’t work. He did wats called a total hip replacement. From what I’ve read good for 20-30 years. I’ll post a pic of mine

I’d show the whole Xray but you can see my nutsack in it. Lol

Attachments

• 4FC793B4-4027-4C46-B4B1-A4BE9E228FF7.jpeg
    4FC793B4-4027-4C46-B4B1-A4BE9E228FF7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1E70D626-52B6-409E-896C-B833991DCBFF.jpeg
    1E70D626-52B6-409E-896C-B833991DCBFF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I’m a little humble

You don’t realize how wonderful a human body is until you mess it up

I believe, the break was not good but a blessing in disguise. I’m a hard headed SOB and took for granted my body. Now I have to rebuild muscles to regain strength.

In my experience health is taken for granted.

Looking back I doubt I’d change much. If I said I would I’d be a hypocrite.

If I’m being honest I took decent care of my body. Not great care but decent

Dan Dawson being honest

Aloha

I’m not sure what I think about God. To many religious different aspects all have some take on it. That’s as far as I go on the god subject less this thread gets blocked

I will say that the greatest engineer ever imaginable, beyond imaginable created life. So many intricacies.

I do believe in a creator. The greatest creator ever.

Aloha
Dan Dawson

Looking back I doubt I’d change much. If I said I would I’d be a hypocrite.

If I’m being honest I took decent care of my body. Not great care but decent

Dan Dawson being honest

Aloha

There are worse things than being called a hypocrite. Like not learning from your mistakes. Hypocrisy is worth calling out at times, but sometimes it's just a tool to lock people into old ways of thinking and smear them.

Around 1985 I was young. Lol. I was stationed aboard the USS MIDWAY. Had a cassette player. I’d go to sleep every day (I worked nights (1800-0600)

Each day when I went to sleep I had one cassette tape. Styx. Man oh man

Back