I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah I think it will be a big help, and just so there’s no confusion this isn’t me in the video. Just found it on YouTube. The guy did a neat job presenting it.

I made a basic stair skirt. Not perfect. I have a ways to go. Been watching YouTube videos for ideas. It’s a good start but as I screw up trying to do what they show, I’m coming up with my own ideas.

Here’s a work in progress. Learning phase. I’m far from starting yet
IMG_1533438852.453614.jpg

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure I don’t have to be perfect on the cuts. Would be nice if I were. The skirt goes down before the treads and risers in my case. The treads and risers will be cut very accurately so will cover any gaps in the skirt. That’s the plan[emoji39]

Funny thing before I started this project,I thought all the stairs were the same length. There are three sets of them. One has 5 steps, the next 9 and the other 4. The lengths are different. The 4 and 5 step areas are 42” wide, length. The 9 steps part is 36”. I’d never noticed that before. Funny

Thanks Kent. Very slowly. I did don’t like to waste wood, even MDF but the first attempt was for learning. Plans and theories are great but I’m the type of person who needs hands on as well. Seems to me I’m also realizing I might be putting the cart in front of the horse. Maybe I should have decided upon the wood flooring and put it down first, as well as the trim I’ll use. Oh well, live and learn. It’s going to turn out nicely and I’m in no rush
Cheers!
Dan

Funny thing before I started this project,I thought all the stairs were the same length. There are three sets of them. One has 5 steps, the next 9 and the other 4. The lengths are different. The 4 and 5 step areas are 42” wide, length. The 9 steps part is 36”. I’d never noticed that before. Funny
That is funny. To get from my front door to the second floor, I go down three steps, cross the living room, go up two steps, turn and go up three steps, turn and go up 12 steps. Different run, rise, and width on each set. Yet no one stumbles or even notices. I guess we're just really well adapted to uneven ground?

I entered beer in a contest at my hometown fair recently (not BJCP). I don't get many chances for impartial critics of my beer. I entered a Belgian Dark Strong Ale from a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles that I had aged for over a year into the Ale lot, which pretty much covers any ale that isn't a porter, stout, or wheat beer, or I guess a braggot. Got some interesting comments that I feel like I can share here, because I may be puzzled but I'm not really whining/complaining. I didn't care about a ribbon or a gift card premium, I just wanted some feedback.

I already know how I feel about this beer, I brewed it again with only slight tweaks.

First, a little reference here On my device it is on page 67 on the PDF, 26D.

One judges comments (not exactly word-for-word):
  • Aroma: Slightly phenolic... dark fruit after some warming
  • Flavor: well balanced, some alcohol warmth, sweetness is just right
  • Overall impression: Very nice - good balance of dry and sweet, not syrupy
  • I'm just going to sum this up, this judge gave me good scores in appearance and mouthfeel. My bottle carbonation wasn't as good as it should have been.
Score was 32/50, which seems low but really I don't care about it. Most of the comments suggest that it fits in the mold of the style. I'm happy.

Now for the judge that has me puzzled. Again, not word-for-word but close. My thoughts in parenthesis:
  • Appearance: Looks a little cloudy. (the other two judges said it looked ok, style says that it can be a little hazy)
  • Flavor: ... needs more hops, not fully balanced (I like my beers a little malty, style calls for medium-low to moderate bitterness. I will concede that the FG was on the higher end of the style's spectrum but according to brewersfriend the IBUs should have been above 30)
  • Overall impression: ... I expected more IBUs in a beer like this... (style says that it should be between 20-35, and I was shooting for slightly over 30. Maybe the age has mellowed out the bitterness?)
Score was lower than the previous. Which again I don't care about. Most comments suggest that I've made a good first attempt at a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. Maybe next time I'll aim for a little more IBUs as a way of anticipating how it will mellow over time.

I'll just sum up the last judge by saying that he or she suspected it was under attenuated. It did finish at 1.021 so I can understand where this person is coming from. But Jamil has that recipe finishing at 1.024 in the book. Besides that, this judge pretty much on par with the others except I don't think that he or she was expecting it to be as hoppy/bitter as the judge that puzzled me thought it would be.

So I learned something. I've known that I don't care for the extremely bitter styles, but I always thought of my preferences in the malty-to-bitter spectrum as being around balanced and leaning towards malty. Now I think I might be in the somewhat-to-moderately malty portion of that spectrum.

Kent!
Sounds like great feedback on your brewing skills. You understand your goal and likes and nailed it. Congrats !

Thanks Dan :rock:.

Well, after over a week of doing a decent job at sleeping through the night as usual, my son decided that he needs to be awake during predawn. So it looks like I'm going to have a morning.

Thanks Dan :rock:.

Well, after over a week of doing a decent job at sleeping through the night as usual, my son decided that he needs to be awake during predawn. So it looks like I'm going to have a morning.

Not sure I followed the last bit. You’re going to have a morning Nap? [emoji106][emoji4]

Anyone here wear suspenders? I have to raise my hand. I do daily and love the things. I still wear a belt only because I need it to hang tools.

I must have at least 20 sets of them. Just ordered another from Amazon. Amazing how many types and styles from which to choose.

Never tried suspenders. They seem like they would be comfortable. Much more so than a belt binding around the waist. Maybe I'll get a set.

I've got a good gout flare up going on. I usually get it in my ankle and it makes it impossible to do almost anything. It started Wednesday night but it feels like it's tapering off already. I hope so. Last time was almost two weeks. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I tried wearing suspenders for a bit, then they broke when I accidentally closed them in a locker door.

Belts are more durable, so I'm going with belts.

Never tried suspenders. They seem like they would be comfortable. Much more so than a belt binding around the waist. Maybe I'll get a set.

I've got a good gout flare up going on. I usually get it in my ankle and it makes it impossible to do almost anything. It started Wednesday night but it feels like it's tapering off already. I hope so. Last time was almost two weeks. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

You should give them a try! Check Amazon,lot of options available. Some for dressy occasions some for everyday work ware that holds up well

Sorry to hear about the gout. I live in Hawaii and it seems fairly common here. Brings people to a painful halt. I don’t think I have it but did wonder at times. My wife is convinced I haves gout knee. Finally went to a bone doctor and he said arthritis which was caused by an injury. Doesn’t make it hurt less.

Hang in there my brother Ischiavo. Miss ya man!
Cheers
Dan

I tried wearing suspenders for a bit, then they broke when I accidentally closed them in a locker door.

Belts are more durable, so I'm going with belts.

Hahaha[emoji3][emoji106]

To each their own my friend! A guy at work started wearing them a few years ago, hidden under his shirt. I noticed the distinctive X line on his back and asked him if wore suspenders. He said yes cause it held his pants up better than a belt. He wasn’t a big fat guy; he had some middle age chubby belly going on but nothing extreme.

I mention this guy to my wife while she was on a trip to Japan where she bought me a very nice quality, probably more dress suspenders than anything. I wore them daily for about 5-6 months at work, under my work shirt but over a t-shirt. They finally gave out.

I started ed looking around and found (online) there are a lot of varieties, style, patterns available. I guess they’re a bit like ties and socks - endless types.

I get you though Kent a belt is just fine and I still wear one daily. Five years ago somebody told me I’d love wearing suspenders, I would say they’re nuts. I’ve just gotten in to this suspenders craze. Haha

Cheers!
Dan

Hahaha[emoji3][emoji106]

To each their own my friend! A guy at work started wearing them a few years ago, hidden under his shirt. I noticed the distinctive X line on his back and asked him if wore suspenders. He said yes cause it held his pants up better than a belt. He wasn’t a big fat guy; he had some middle age chubby belly going on but nothing extreme.

I mention this guy to my wife while she was on a trip to Japan where she bought me a very nice quality, probably more dress suspenders than anything. I wore them daily for about 5-6 months at work, under my work shirt but over a t-shirt. They finally gave out.

I started ed looking around and found (online) there are a lot of varieties, style, patterns available. I guess they’re a bit like ties and socks - endless types.

I get you though Kent a belt is just fine and I still wear one daily. Five years ago somebody told me I’d love wearing suspenders, I would say they’re nuts. I’ve just gotten in to this suspenders craze. Haha

Cheers!
Dan
For working and hiking, I vote for old fashioned denim bib overalls. Big Smith and Roundhouse are two good brands. As comfortable and flexible as suspenders, with lots of handy pockets.

I attended a wedding once, where the father of the bride, the best man, all the male party except groom and minister were dressed in brand new overalls and white dress shirts. Pretty formal, for rural Oklahoma. Fun, though.

I have found that, when hiking, a belt tight enough to keep my britches up is too tight to allow adequate blood flow to my legs. After a few miles it feels like wading through waist-deep bubble gum. Hence the overalls. Suspenders would work as well, I may have to get some.

Waiting on a hurricane Lane, I think he’s called. Spent the last two days at work prepping the base housing. Got my front windows boarded up, I believe that’s where the wind mostly will come from. I shouldn’t keep saying this but Oahu generally misses out on the worst destruction. It’s a little exciting and boring for now. A category 5 hurricane heading here. I think it’s been downgraded to 4

I don’t know my friends. I’ve prepared as mostly as well as possible. My fate, my wife’s fate is not to die in s storm

I’ll see you all in a few days

Cheers
Dan

I'm sure I speak for more than myself when I say that we're hoping that you all in Hawaii stay safe and don't have to deal with the destruction that Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico have dealt with recently.

I hope we'll soon hear that you've weathered the storm alright.

Good luck. This is a frequent occurrence where I'm at, so I know exactly what you're doing there.

See you on the other side of the storm.

Waiting on a hurricane Lane, I think he’s called. Spent the last two days at work prepping the base housing. Got my front windows boarded up, I believe that’s where the wind mostly will come from. I shouldn’t keep saying this but Oahu generally misses out on the worst destruction. It’s a little exciting and boring for now. A category 5 hurricane heading here. I think it’s been downgraded to 4

I don’t know my friends. I’ve prepared as mostly as well as possible. My fate, my wife’s fate is not to die in s storm

I’ll see you all in a few days

Cheers
Dan

Yesterday I think I heard that it was downgraded to a tropical storm.

Hopefully the damage done wasn't/won't be too bad.

I was on a ghost hunt and some one handed me a babybel. It was dark because you can't ghost hunt with the lights on. I didn't know what it was. I asked what is this? They said it's cheese. So I put the whole thing in my mouth unaware that it was coated in wax. I chewed it for a few seconds wondering what was happening. I told them, this cheese sucks.

I was on a ghost hunt and some one handed me a babybel. It was dark because you can't ghost hunt with the lights on. I didn't know what it was. I asked what is this? They said it's cheese. So I put the whole thing in my mouth unaware that it was coated in wax. I chewed it for a few seconds wondering what was happening. I told them, this cheese sucks.

If that’s some deep mixed parabol. I don’t get it. Hoping it was encouragement that I just didn’t understand.

Cheers
Dan

Thought about quoting everybody for the hope reies.

God loves Oahu (I’m not a religious man). But God or lat/long of Oahu keeps powerful storms away from this island. I really don’t understand why. I’m just grateful.

Other Hawaii islands didn’t fare as well. Some were already dealing with tragedy, I’m thinking big island Hawaii.

Don’t know why people live in a danger zone. I do know though you can’t always get what you need

I edited this post. Put on a rolling stone post. It sucked. Gonna try again after this post

Cheers my friends

Dan

Last edited:
So I bought an HD TV antenna, amplified one. 39 bucks through Amazon. I wasn’t sure how well it would work on Oahu but figured for the price why not? Plus I could return it if it didn’t work here. Connected it today to a tv we don’t us ever since Spectrum requires a converter box for every tv.

Pretty happy with the results. It’s a lot like cable as in it has channels I’ll never watch. Not bad at all

IMG_1535323157.903523.jpg
IMG_1535323185.551292.jpg
IMG_1535323212.013343.jpg

A buddy of mine and I once looked into the super-strong homemade antennas like are used in the remote locations in Canada. I should find that website for you, Dan.

Edit: Here!

Last edited:
Hey LRB great to hear from you! For Oahu the hurricane was pretty anticlimactic, and that’s just fine. Very little rain, breezy but not real windy. I think my family camped through a tropical storm worse than our recent hurricane but once again I am very thankful we had it easy in this one. Crazy side note. My wife’s friend works at Sams Club, she told my wife that after the storm passed people were returning all kinds of hurricane supplies. I don’t know why because there’s another forming already.

Our kitchen was the hurricane preparedness center for us. Everything we might need from water to toilet paper, fuel sources and a lot of canned and dried food.
I think we’d of been ok but am sure glad we didn’t need to test that belief. Lol.

Cheers!
Dan

Hey LRB great to hear from you! For Oahu the hurricane was pretty anticlimactic, and that’s just fine. Very little rain, breezy but not real windy. I think my family camped through a tropical storm worse than our recent hurricane but once again I am very thankful we had it easy in this one. Crazy side note. My wife’s friend works at Sams Club, she told my wife that after the storm passed people were returning all kinds of hurricane supplies. I don’t know why because there’s another forming already.

Our kitchen was the hurricane preparedness center for us. Everything we might need from water to toilet paper, fuel sources and a lot of canned and dried food.
I think we’d of been ok but am sure glad we didn’t need to test that belief. Lol.

Cheers!
Dan

We had a baby earthquake last night. Maybe a 4 to 4.5. Lasted just long enough to start to wonder if I should get off the couch.

IMG_20180905_215806.jpg

Wild/feral plums. Found them while riding bike. From the way the trees looked, and the amount of neglected plums that had fallen on the ground, it didn't look like anyone wanted them. Turns out my in-laws love wild plum jam, and they just canned a few pressure cooker loads worth of pears for us, so we're going to make them some jam. I picked almost 2 ziplock gallon bags full. These are the ones that need a little more time to ripen. The rest have been cut up, had their pits removed, and are in the freezer.

Maybe next year I try making a plum melomel...

That’s a sweet find! If you haven’t canned jellies or jams before please try. It’s like making beer; recipe, sanitation, process, temperature, plus one parts compassion or is it passion? Plus another one love and time.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:
We usually make a couple batches of freezer jam each year, mostly strawberry and occasionally some raspberry. I think the plan is to water-bath this jam.

I saved some pits. Going to try growing and grafting. Wild plums are supposed to be really cold hardy.

I made strawberry jam a few times, it’s delicious and fresh. Then made orange marmalade that was wonderful. Tried some spicy jam, damned if I can remember the base fruit but it turned out ok. Not great. My Hawaiian neighbor has papaya trees and is always giving me papayas. I don’t really care for the taste of them but he does. I made him papaya jam he loved it. I tried papaya and oranges. I thought it ok, not my favorite. He didn’t ask for it again. It’s all about having fun and trying new things. I think plums will be great Kent

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back