I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a completely different note... Dan, check out your pipe smoking thread. I've bought a few old pipes on Ebay and restored them. I am am enjoying a new hobby.

This an old Brewster (cheap) pipe that I worked on.

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

I was actually ogling your posts in that thread yesterday. I should have responded. I might try your methods on the near future on a couple of the older pipes in my collection.

Orlando won't flood (maybe local street stuff). Most of the awful hurricane effects you see are coastal (flooding within a mile of the coasts / bays, and full frontal effects from the wind for those right on the water). Inside of that, it's just wind damage - trees/roofs. Motor homes and weaker structures might be affected by wind, but most homes built in the last X years will be OK. If I was on a farm in open terrain I'd be concerned. Wind driven rain will find the places in your roof where the flashing cement has dried and cracked, so many older roofs will leak. Hopefully people have buckets and tarps for that kind of thing. Asphalt shingle will fly away and expose the roof sheathing, so more leaks. If the sheathing layers fly away, your world degrades quickly! I've got cement tile on my roof. It's not bulletproof, but it seems to do much better than the shingles.

I reserve the right to be wrong about anything above :)

Passedpawn great to hear from you! Keep hunkered down. If possible could you brew a XXXIPA or something during this time and simply call it, Irma. Or something more extravagant maybe. [emoji3]

Stay safe Pappy

Cheers
Dan

Yes we are family Dan.

All the best and stay safe

Jeff

Thank you brother. I didn't include all your responses in this text but believe me I read them a few times over. Thank you.

Talked with the kids today. We're on hold for now, gonna hold out a while. Mine is such a first world problem it's almost embarrassing in light of what Floridians are up against.

Humbly
Dan

My kids are all grown up and doing well enough but we all are spread out across the country. So we decided abut 3 months ago to take a vacation together. Three or four weeks, maybe a little longer ago we finalized the trip. Airfares, hotel, rental car - we pooled our money and paid for them all.

Our mistake - Florida! And nothing is refundable. We were planning to head to Orlando. We had a "telephone conference" and combined text get together about possible change in plans

My recommendation "lets go anyway, we can volunteer. I don't know exactly what we can do, but surely we can help"

My daughter's response -"I'm in Dad

My son - Dad if you want to volunteer to help there are things closer to home"

My son's wife - F*ck if I'm going to waste my two week vacation"

Not sure what we are going to do yet. Vacation starts Saturday September 23 (we get there) leave morning of Saturday Sep 30.

I know this is a home brewing site, always has and always will be. I've been here quite a few years and also have come to realize this site as a family. helping,giving ideas and advice.

The trip is not far from now. Any suggestions from the wealth of knowledge here on HBT?

Mahalo
Dan

Read the refund / cancellations policy and call the airline. Pretty sure they make exceptions for hurricane. IIUC, Orlando airport had some significant water damage. I'd also try calling hotel and car company as they could, possibly, have damage of their own and may not be able to honor their arrangements.

Read the refund / cancellations policy and call the airline. Pretty sure they make exceptions for hurricane. IIUC, Orlando airport had some significant water damage. I'd also try calling hotel and car company as they could, possibly, have damage of their own and may not be able to honor their arrangements.

My neighborhood in Clearwater got hit pretty hard. Trees down, etc. But by this evening we are all cleaned up. Even the guy with a very large tree on his house was up there with a chain saw and took care of it by noon. I seriously doubt there is any issue with Orlando that won't entirely disappear in a few days. That place is magical :)

BTW, in case anybody wants my recommendation, the best hotel to stay at is the Boardwalk Inn. It's awesome, especially if you plan on going to Epcot, which is my favorite place. You can walk into Epcot (right behind the Eiffel Tower) from this hotel, or any other hotel on the same lake (there are a few). But this one is better than the others, and I've stayed at them all. My favorite thing is to wake up at the break of dawn (WAY before my wife) and sit on that boardwalk and drink coffee from Joe's, which is a cart on the path there. There's also a little bakery in the row that sells doughnuts and coffee. Cool vibe for me.

It's a little pricey for sure.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/boardwalk-inn/

Passedpawn great to hear all us well! I'm not really sure where we're staying. My son made the arrangements. The kids have pretty much set up this vacation. I just paid my part ( ok maybe a little extra) and left it to them. Good experience for them.

That place you're describing sounds wonderful. Maybe in a few years my wife and I will stay there and have coffee at Joes.

I think we might be in the clear. Florida seems very resilient. I'll check on things in a few more days. I'm thinking natural disasters would be good cause for refund but I'll give them s little time.

hull them if you want to remove cherry exterior and then dry them. They will be little greenish/blackish beans. Then you can roast them to whatever degree you'd like. Work at StarB ;)

Read that coffee trees grow well in california under avacado trees...i have an avoca tree...hmmm..time to order a kona seedling

Do itLRB! Here in Hawaii the tree grows well. Considering your latitude I'd imagine it would grow well there as well.

Side note; I can grow Hops here, they flourish but no flavor. Sppparently hop plants need a winter cold crash.

Trip to Florida went well. We were in the Orlando/Daytona area. There was evidence of damage but everything was cleaned up, the weather was great and I got sunburnt (even though I live in Hawaii)

Great trip! Spur of the moment I really wanted to drive down to Clearwater and see Passedpawn but didn't. We're HBT friends but I figured it's not appropriate to show up on his doorstep unannounced. Maybe next time Pappy

Do itLRB! Here in Hawaii the tree grows well. Considering your latitude I'd imagine it would grow well there as well.

Side note; I can grow Hops here, they flourish but no flavor. Sppparently hop plants need a winter cold crash.

Trip to Florida went well. We were in the Orlando/Daytona area. There was evidence of damage but everything was cleaned up, the weather was great and I got sunburnt (even though I live in Hawaii)

Great trip! Spur of the moment I really wanted to drive down to Clearwater and see Passedpawn but didn't. We're HBT friends but I figured it's not appropriate to show up on his doorstep unannounced. Maybe next time Pappy

Ordered a tree (sapling) today. I'm going to plant it under an avocado tree. I read somewhere that they get along well. Glad your trip went so well.

That's cool LRB! I'm not sure how big these trees get but for now ~3 years old about 5' tall. More and more berries each year

I'm getting wrestles. Three years in Hawaii. Seems like a long enough tour station. Except I'm no longer in the Navy...not suppose to rotate somewhere else every few years now that I'm retired.

I knew taking a vacation to the mainland would have repercussions. Being with my kids again, fall weather in Cali, even Florida was cool at night (that might have been the air-conditioning, I'm not used to it anymore🙄)

Whoas me. I've got such first world issues.

This Sunday is my wife's 60th birthday party and stepdaughter's 30th. It's being held at an old hotel in Honolulu. We're going to stay the night. I reserved a room tonight, my wife said make sure you get the tower side because the hookers are on the other. Haha, we got a tower room.

Party should be fun. Theme is Junior (my 30 year old daughter) and Senior (twice my stepdaughter's age mom) Prom. Junior Senior Prom

I got a cheesy light blue costume tuxedo and my wife found a similar color fabric and sewed together a big billowy dress. She even made a hoop underskirt. I don't remember that being popular back in the day, but I've never been much into women's dress trends.

There's an oldies band and my wife has put together a pretty good playlist of 70-80's dance songs. Our house is a mess because when, Jan (my wife) gets in a party mode we get busy with making decorations, and party favors and all that crap.

I know it will be a lot of fun for all. I'll probably drink enough to dance quite a bit.

Cheers!
Dan

I know the feeling, Dan. I retired in 2013. My last tour was a CMC job in Mobile AL for three years. We've been in the same house since 2000, the longest that my wife an I have ever been in one place. I've never really liked the house much. It was a foreclosure and it seems all I have done is work on it for 7 years. The area is not "bad" but I've never felt as if I belong here. My youngest is a high school freshman and we plan on staying here until he graduates, but I am certainly antsy. I'm ready to go

I know the feeling, Dan. I retired in 2013. My last tour was a CMC job in Mobile AL for three years. We've been in the same house since 2000, the longest that my wife an I have ever been in one place. I've never really liked the house much. It was a foreclosure and it seems all I have done is work on it for 7 years. The area is not "bad" but I've never felt as if I belong here. My youngest is a high school freshman and we plan on staying here until he graduates, but I am certainly antsy. I'm ready to go

A life of military service takes a toll. I don't regret a minute of it and not feeling sorry for myself. I've just started to come to the realization home is where my kids are. We're spread across the states and six time zones. Hmmm

On a different note. The freezer I'm very slowly turning into a piece of furniture; I've been stuck getting the top done for about a month. This weekend I told myself screw just do it. I tell my dogs something similar when we go walking and they're deciding whether or not to mark a piece of territory. Mark it or move it boys! I was saying before that, Hit it or quit it. My youngest daughter informed me there's a similar saying for guys that just want a one night stand with a girl. Hit it and quit it.

Anyway. Here's the top. Still need to fill in the brad holes, then stain and put some Helmsman on it. Pretty simple. That's my way.

Hmm camera on this phone doesn't want to work. I'll try something rlse

I'm getting wrestles. Three years in Hawaii. Seems like a long enough tour station. Except I'm no longer in the Navy...not suppose to rotate somewhere else every few years now that I'm retired.

I was stationed on Oahu for 3 years at Schofield Barracks, my wife was stationed at Shafter for 1 year, with 2 years at Schofield/Wheeler. Lived in upper Makakilo, bought my first home there, daughter had her first day of school at Mak Baptist preschool, traveled throughout the Pacific on Space A, and made a couple lifelong friends with locals. This was 2010-2013, so there were a handful of deployments between the two of us. I thought I would get island fever, but it never happened. I suppose between TDY, leave, and deployments it just never crept up. Scuba at e-beach most Saturdays and hiking the Ko'olau range on Sunday is something I reminisce about.

Thanks for serving Dan and GCVT.

I was stationed on Oahu for 3 years at Schofield Barracks, my wife was stationed at Shafter for 1 year, with 2 years at Schofield/Wheeler. Lived in upper Makakilo, bought my first home there, daughter had her first day of school at Mak Baptist preschool, traveled throughout the Pacific on Space A, and made a couple lifelong friends with locals. This was 2010-2013, so there were a handful of deployments between the two of us. I thought I would get island fever, but it never happened. I suppose between TDY, leave, and deployments it just never crept up. Scuba at e-beach most Saturdays and hiking the Ko'olau range on Sunday is something I reminisce about.

Thanks for serving Dan and GCVT.

Wise words my friend. I need to take Hawaii by the horns and enjoy this place...maybe later🤣

See if these pics work this time

Nope

Decided to glue the top to the freezer. Weight and cheap construction adhesive should do the trick. I wanted to stain tonight, got wood filler and plenty enough sanding done. This project has been slow going. I can wait a day and get back at it

I can't help but think this thing could easily be turned into a 2-3 keg keeper. Copper three tap tower faucet, or chrome. HmmView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1507429700.745386.jpg

It was my fermentation camber for a while. But I haven't brewed in a few years (embarrassed icon). When I buy another actual house with a garage- my shop and home brewery, and me! Are coming back to life

Ischiavo great to hear from you! Looking forward to seeing pics of your work. It's inspiring to see the results of true pros.

Hydrometer broke in 2017 you've had since 1986 or so... my first I thought; that's not that long ago. Instant later Wow 31 years ago!! How time flies

Well done. Got any glass carboys from that 80's circa as well?
[emoji3]

I've kept in touch with my friend at my old job in Cali. I call him once in awhile; see how he is, how work is going and asked him to let me know if my old job opened up or new jobs were opening. I hadn't sold my house in Cali yet so if things got bad in Hawaii, personally or financially and a job opened up back I'd have the option. I'd left the job to move to Hawaii, The Cali job was a career type job. Excellent pay and benefits. Low stress. Moved to Hawaii with no job.

Anyway over the years I check in. Talked to him a few months ago before I sold the Cali house. He told me jobs would be opening this fall.

Two days ago I had a missed call from him. He's not one to call me, I usually call him, he's not real talkative unless you initiate.

He didn't leave a message (neither do I these days nor rarely do I check them). I got the missed call, figured it was about a job opening. By the time I realized I had the call it was pretty late in Cali so I figured I'd call him the next day. Next day was a long day at work and I didn't want to call him late at night so I'd planned on calling today.

I don't think anybody is super close to my friend except his kids. Dave my friend and I worked together four about four years in a closed door government place. There were three of us initially then one guy left. Dave and I spent a lot of days together. Sometimes we were pretty busy and other times work was boring as hell. We'd talk. We knew what was going on in each other's lives. We had a good work relationship. He is a friend

Today around 5:30 my time got a text from him. I opened it but it was from his oldest son, who isn't older than late teens, maybe early 20's.

He told me his dad had passed away and he ((his son) knew we were close friends. It's kinda true we were close.

Dave must be around 40+. I don't know what happened. I'm going to call him on his, call his son because he now has Dave's phone. No idea what to say. Condolences of course. I don't want to ask how/why Dave died. His son will probably tell me on his own.

People die, we all will. Yesterday after work I made a right hand turn into a gas station about the same time a guy was making a left turn and we were going for the same pump. He wave me forward then he moved on to a different pump.

We both paid cash and in the line to pay I apologized for the earlier confusion. He said I'd done nothing wrong, didn't cut him off or be a rude ass, his mind was pre occupied and he wasn't really paying attention. I said no worries. We stood in line for a few minutes and he said. Blurred- "my mom died today". I said something to the affect of "I'm very sorry to hear that brother. That's a tough day for you".

He said ya it's a ****ty day. He was an older guy. Great muscular shape in his late fifties I'd guess.

I paid for my gas and walked over to my car and started filling up. He walked out a few moments later to gas his car. He looked over at me and said. Mom was 85, lived a full life, doesn't make it easier to loose her though"

I get that. I've said similar words when my 83 year old mil, 90+ year old aunt and uncle died. It hurts still. But knowing they're very old and lived a good life, apparently a pretty healthy one and they're very old - I think that helps get over their death quite a lot

Dave was very young. Young family with a life ahead.

Jesus Christ I can't believe he's gone.

Dave was a great father. A great coworker. A great friend.

Cheers my brother

Dan

Life lesson. Never delete a contact on your phone. Not one that you willingly accepted once, bonded in some small or big way but then moved on. Don't delete the contact.

I've learned as I usually do by my mistakes, people who were in a meaningful part of you life at one point - your paths will cross again eventually

Dan, there are a lot of thoughts and words going though my head right now and I can't seem to organize them. The call to Daves son will be awkward, but it will help with closure for both of you. My pint tonight will be raised to your friend Dave and his family and also to a strangers mom at a gas station.
Regardless of the age and life lived death is never easy for those left behind.

Back