I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Lab rat that looks beyond awesome. I do love getting out and enjoying nature.

It was great. I went with the scouts. Mostly 11 year olds. They had to do everything for themselves, cooking, tents, dealing with 28f overnight chill and wind warnings of 60mph gusts. They lashed all their tents together so they would not blow away. My son's patrol made French toast and bacon for breakfast. I was jealous.

Sigh my years of sleeping on the ground are long gone now. But I have been known to horse my trailer into some rather remote spots. And as a bonus I can keep the beer much colder with my camper for much longer:rockin:

Last night it was -4 and then there was some wind but I have no clue what that took the wind chill to. I will say to dang cold for camping.

Sigh my years of sleeping on the ground are long gone now. But I have been known to horse my trailer into some rather remote spots. And as a bonus I can keep the beer much colder with my camper for much longer:rockin:

Last night it was -4 and then there was some wind but I have no clue what that took the wind chill to. I will say to dang cold for camping.

-4 is too extreme for me. That is just cold.

I did not get to go camping but once this year:mad: But even then any temp that cold is just to cold even with a heater in the trailer.

Just started my mash and I have to say it smells like heaven. I can hardly wait to dump the hops and get that blast of hop smell:mug: Been planning this for a few weeks can you tell hehe. Getting ready to crack a 3C that I have been saving for this first brew.

Hello all. I know I have not been around. Funny how when you do not drink you kind of fall away from the site. But tonight I am going to brew:ban: Yup I think I have recovered enough that I can carry the stuff around and stay on my feet long enough to finish a brew session.

Life is good again:rockin:

Welcome back. How's the knee? You had a chainsaw accident? I've been through 2 chainsaws in the last few months. I stick them in the dirt, a no-no if you want your machine to last. The sand wears out the metal sprockets. But I've got tons of palmetto, and the saw must go down to cut it out. I might switch to my sawsall.

Hey PD. I think I am doing fine now or as good as I am going to get anyway. I had some issues with infections and the Dr's want to replace my knee but as of now I am just saying no. I get around pretty good with a brace on so why go through the crap all over again.

Sigh I had just bought 3 new saws this year and only got to use one for about a week before I screwed up. Oh well I am thinking these will last a good long time now LOL

Had to drive to Riverside for Court this morning :( The upside, MoreBeer is just down the road. Got a 55lb bag of Vienna and 50lbs of 2 row. Prices there are so good.

Last edited:
Hey All!

V-man welcome back! All this talk of camping and chainsaws is making me miss the Midwest and California, especially in the fall.

I was going to replace the front brake pads and rear shoes on my wife's car today. I was actually so excited about it I kept waking up last night thinking "is it time to get up yet and get working?" Daylight finally arrived and I got started. Pulled off the drivers side tire and removed the pad. I obviously ordered the wrong one. So I have to reorder and wait. Rear shoes were fine.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416355840.185761.jpg. Original on the bottom. Some thing wrong with this pic. :)

Well the hard part is done then, drums can be a pain.

I was lucky there. The car is a 2006 Nissan Sentra. The shoes only have a couple of springs to fight.

Plus....YouTube!! Some guy put up a pretty decent video so there were no surprises. I need to do my cars brakes as well. Pretty sure aside from worn pads I have a few warped rotors.

I live on a long hill, about 2 miles long and have to ride the brakes or exceed the speed limit quickly. I could just drop the auto transmission into 2nd or third and let the drag slow the car down but I've gotten out of the habit of doing that. Mostly because somebody once told me using the transmission to slow down on a continued basis puts to much strain on tranny and brake pads are cheap. Made sense to me. I still downshift on the occasional steep grade. But everyday driving down this hill I live on I use brakes

I'm quite possibly wrong in my thinking. ;)

I made a vinaigrette with some of my habenero chili oil and put that on a spinich salad. I made the chili oil because I had a bunch of peppers and no time to do anything else with them. Reasonable heat and awesome flavor. This is going to be good in soups and stir frys.

Dan I guess I have pulled trailers enough that even when I am not pulling one I use the transmission to slow down if I can. It drives my wife nuts pretty much but heck man brakes are a pain in the butt to replace.

Got my brew done the other night and it is bubbling away happily now. I am thinking I had better brew once a week now for a bit to get my pipeline back into shape.

Being laid up has kind of been a pain in the butt. I re barreled my .270 back into a elk gun but can not hunt. I know kind of a silly thing to do right. Now I am getting ready to re barrel my 22-250 so I can long range rock chucks. Thinking about a hart barrel rifled at 1 in 7 so I can shoot the much heavier and better BC bullets.

Sigh I need to get back to work so I am not thinking so much about ways to spend money.

As long as the action will work with the new chambering the sky is the limit. I have a weatherby action that someday I am going to put a nice heavy 6.5-284 barrel on and perhaps start shooting in some competitions.

But for now if I rifle my 22-250 at 1 in 7 I can shoot heavy enough bullets to stay supersonic out to a 1000 yards. And the case is small enough that the barrel should last several thousand rounds.

I have a question that I hope somebody on this sight can give me some insight into.. It's not about brewing, sorry. :eek:

I rent a house to a young Navy couple. Really good people. We have an agreement that if something breaks; dishwasher, microwave, furnace etc., breaks, they have it fixed and pay for it, as well as send me the receipt. Then the rent for that month is reduced by the cost they paid out. If outside labor is involved that comes out of the rent as well, if they can just buy the part and install themselves then only the cost of parts is accounted for.. It's a pretty good setup and a reason I screened my tenants.

Here is where the question is. Well not yet, need to set the stage a little further. I really like these folks, they like me as a landlord because I'm pretty fair and if I might say it, not a bad landlord. They are taking great care of my investment and I try to take great care of them. It's a copasetic situation.

I want to send them a Christmas card. wish them a Merry Christmas...yada..yada.. But I'm pretty sure they're Mormon. I could be stereotyping. Both of them are from Montana. The wife graduated from college at the Bringham Young Institute here in Hawaii..

So, maybe wrong of me but I assume they might be Mormon. As far as I know, and I could be very well wrong.. Mormons don't celebrate Christmas??

On the safe side, what card could I send them in the spirit of Christmas and thankyou - which wouldn't offend them if they are Mormons?

Thanks
Dan

So, maybe wrong of me but I assume they might be Mormon. As far as I know, and I could be very well wrong.. Mormons don't celebrate Christmas??

On the safe side, what card could I send them in the spirit of Christmas and thankyou - which wouldn't offend them if they are Mormons?

I think you are getting confused with Jehova Witnesses. Mormons do celebrate Christmas. (At least the ones I've known).

I'm not at all religious, so take this with a pillar of salt. If anyone wished me a happy Christmas, Hanukkah, Rosh Hashanah, Eid Al-Fitr or happy Thursday I'd be happy. I'd take it a face value and think that this day is important to them and they want to share in some way. I don't even really known when Ramadan but i'd like to have a happy month if it was wished to me.

Hehe I am Mormon....Well born Mormon and raised that way. Send the card man and they will enjoy it as they celebrate Christmas.

Heck I will wish everyone here a early Christmas cheer or whatever you wish for and I do not believe in a god. I do believe in the good in other people and would not only accept but enjoy any Christmas wishes sent my way.

Dan, why is everyone afraid to offend someone? I'm a non practicing Christian. Wish me what ever greeting that makes you happy, if it is your religious holiday I would respond in kind, How many people have died in the name of religion, I don't care what you believe,higher being, a freak occurrence, what's comforting to you.

I'm stopping, rambling, Me, I personally don't mind being offended, send them a Christmas card!:mug:

You know what I truly like about you guys? You're open minded, educated in life.

Wait! The path I'm on tonight I might just open up more than usual...maybe not 😉

Dan, why is everyone afraid to offend someone? I'm a non practicing Christian. Wish me what ever greeting that makes you happy, if it is your religious holiday I would respond in kind, How many people have died in the name of religion, I don't care what you believe,higher being, a freak occurrence, what's comforting to you.

I'm stopping, rambling, Me, I personally don't mind being offended, send them a Christmas card!:mug:

This.

I am non-religious. Yet I do not get offended if someone gives me their Christmas greetings. Or Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or Festivus... It is meant to be a greeting, a gesture of goodwill. At least I construe it as such. I am not offended in any way, regardless of what greeting you choose to give to me.

At the same time, I don't want to hear anyone's righteous indignation if I say "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," or send them a secular card for the holidays. I am just offering my gesture of goodwill. Quit reading into things so much. Just take it at face value.

The "War On Christmas" is only a fiction in the minds of a small number of people who feel threatened by the most innocuous of suggestion. If you want to rescue your Christmas, take it back from all the crass commercialization that seems to encroach onto it a little more each year.

Dan, what I DONT want is for you to think the question you posed was inappropriate or poorly thought out.

Rex, you and I have always been good, but I disagree with you on this point. Dan wasnt so much afraid of offending someone but rather asking "given this situation, what is the best way to make these good people know I care about them, particularly around this time in which I am predisposed to feeling jolly."

All of the rest of what Rex said, and everyone else said as well, was also true. Mormons celebrate Christmas, and it would be a truly rare situation in which wishing a happy [whichever holiday] to someone who doesnt celebrate it would be a bad thing.

Oh jeez... Im ranting for no reason...

Dan, what I DONT want is for you to think the question you posed was inappropriate or poorly thought out.

Rex, you and I have always been good, but I disagree with you on this point. Dan wasnt so much afraid of offending someone but rather asking "given this situation, what is the best way to make these good people know I care about them, particularly around this time in which I am predisposed to feeling jolly."

All of the rest of what Rex said, and everyone else said as well, was also true. Mormons celebrate Christmas, and it would be a truly rare situation in which wishing a happy [whichever holiday] to someone who doesnt celebrate it would be a bad thing.

Oh jeez... Im ranting for no reason...

Point well taken, not really what I meant, drunk ramble that's all:mug:

<---- look who's the newest member of the board of directors for the California Homebrewers Association! Our festival is back on (Vail Lake Resort) near Temecula. It should be great! Also, we are going to tackle more legislation in CA. We are looking to (re)- legalize home brew demonstrations at lhbs, and allow home brew clubs to meet in locations other than private residences. Sad that there us actually at need to fight for either. The prohibitionist are still powerful.

<---- look who's the newest member of the board of directors for the California Homebrewers Association! Our festival is back on (Vail Lake Resort) near Temecula. It should be great! Also, we are going to tackle more legislation in CA. We are looking to (re)- legalize home brew demonstrations at lhbs, and allow home brew clubs to meet in locations other than private residences. Sad that there us actually at need to fight for either. The prohibitionist are still powerful.

Congratulations, do good work!

And I am brewing again:mug: Racked last weeks beer and am filling the lovely vessel where those fornicating yeasties get down with their bad selves again. You see I feel that I should help the wild kingdom and provide sanctuary for billions of special critturs:D

Man it feels good to be able to brew again.

I like this time on HBT. It gives me time to read the posts from the day spout some bs and generally piss people off so that I have something to read the next day. I'm not really as much of a d!(k as I make myself out to be but I work hard at coming off that way. I love this forum and generally like the people on it. When spending so much time reading the forum I find things that trigger my I'm a d!(kk mode and I go to town. I apologize to those I have offended. Spending the better part of 6 months on the couch will make any one kind of pissy. Then being told this week that you may not heal for another 6 months if ever adds crap on top of a crap pie so big that it can be seen from space. That and I still haven't gotten to brew yet! :(:(:(:(:( so to all of the people that I have pissed off lately .... Relax don't worry have a home brew and then have one for me. And maybe even send Billy Klubb over to punch me in the berries!
Anyway cheers everyone, hope your holidays go great and look for my posts to piss you off but don't take it so serious or personal.:tank:

I know how you feel man. Just getting to where I can brew again after a little issue with my knee. Hurts to do to much but dang a couch for months on end can drive a guy crazy.

Hey guys

I got to admit I don't spend as much time on here as I used to. I skim the posts lately rather than reading and responding to them all. For that I apologize, because at one time I was on top of this thread. Life, me, changed a bit.

I do have to say a few things. First off.... LabRatBrewer congratulations!!!!! Not only does California now have a good lawyer in the homebrewing effort, it has a man of conviction and a true Homebrewer to lead the way. Again, congratulations and more importantly - Thank you LRB!

"ubnserved" Apologies if I got your handle wrong, I'm working off poor memory.
Man, you do fit right in here on "This Time of Night (no matter what time of day) thread. I can certainly understand your frustration. A person get's to like their normal fully functional routine.. it's the norm. Giving that up and waiting for normal life to be restored is something I can understand, completely. Hang in there brother. Sounds like you have already done that for quite awhile. The injury will heal eventually. You just stay strong in your mind and heart and get through it best you can. Looking forward to all of your future posts, especially the ones you might share about overcoming challenges. Your first brew session when you're back up (literally walking, or running) will be a good thing to hear.

So, I got myself into a situation I enjoy. In my wife's family I have become the guy who fixes stuff. Silly really. It's more like man around the house stuff. You know. Repair the leaky faucet, change the oil in the cars, build something she wants; it's just guy stuff. I've now become the brake guy. I replaced the brake and shoes on my wife's car and she told her family about it. Now they're asking if I can fix their brakes.

I have access to the Auto Skills Center on base. It's a pretty good deal. Three bucks an hour for a lift and all the tools they have available, plus there are mechanics on duty whose job is to help, if needed.

It's a crazy good set-up

Cheers!
Dan

Thanks guys! My oldest home on leave for 2 more day is going to help me brew a kit he picked up before he has to leave at 6am thanksgiving. Woooooohooooo! :D Since I keg it should be ready just in time for new years, when he is going to try to come back before he has to head back to the deserts of the east. :( He is not sure if it will be Africa or middle east yet. Cross your fingers no crashes this next deployment! http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/world/africa/marine-helicopter-crash/index.html

I like this time on HBT. It gives me time to read the posts from the day spout some bs and generally piss people off so that I have something to read the next day. I'm not really as much of a d!(k as I make myself out to be but I work hard at coming off that way. I love this forum and generally like the people on it. When spending so much time reading the forum I find things that trigger my I'm a d!(kk mode and I go to town. I apologize to those I have offended. Spending the better part of 6 months on the couch will make any one kind of pissy. Then being told this week that you may not heal for another 6 months if ever adds crap on top of a crap pie so big that it can be seen from space. That and I still haven't gotten to brew yet! :(:(:(:(:( so to all of the people that I have pissed off lately .... Relax don't worry have a home brew and then have one for me. And maybe even send Billy Klubb over to punch me in the berries!
Anyway cheers everyone, hope your holidays go great and look for my posts to piss you off but don't take it so serious or personal.:tank:

We all have our HBT persona that may or may not differ from who we are in real life.

The rain was pouring and there was a big puddle in front of the pub just outside a Navy Base.
A ragged old Naval Aviator was standing near the edge with a fishing rod, his line in the puddle.
A curious young Air Force fighter pilot came over to him and asked what he was doing.
'Fishing,' the old guy simply said.
'Poor old fool,' the Air Force officer thought and, feeling bad for him, he invited the ragged old aviator into the pub for a drink.
As he felt he should start some conversation while they were sipping their whisky, the ultra cool fighter pilot thought he would be funny and asked,
"And how many have you caught so far?'
“You're the eighth” the old Naval Aviator answered!

Back