I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a few day ago I posted that I pitched the yeast in my cream ale at 88 deg. So today I decided to check my thermometer . So my stick on one is reading 70 to 72. So I pulled the airlock and stuck my metal one in ( after cleaning it and wiping it down with star San solution) it was reading 84?????? So I boiled some water. Tested agin 216 deg ????? I'm at a lost

I've never had two thermometers that read exactly the same, but they're usually within a degree or two. 12 degrees difference is quite a bit. Not sure what to tell you. I guess pick the one you trust the most and roll with it.

BBL_Brewer said:
I've never had two thermometers that read exactly the same, but they're usually within a degree or two. 12 degrees difference is quite a bit. Not sure what to tell you. I guess pick the one you trust the most and roll with it.

Hmmmm well the stick on only works good after a long time days because it sticks to the outside of my primary. I just saw my next door neb. He is a hvac guy he loan me a infra red thermometer. Ya it is 71.2 deg. I think it is time to tell the wife I'm buying a digital one.

call mine "Sticky Foot Pale Ale".

I have to keep cleaning up my craft room or all of them would be Sticky Foot Pale Ale. Smells like a brewery back here and if you wear shoes into the room, you will hear the rubber soles meeting the sticky. :(

Speaking of chemical reactions.
I did it, I had a boilover and the 70's vintage linoleum is sticky, sticky no matter what we use.
What's the best wort remover for floors and appliances?
Hmm, maybe a big bottle of hand sanitizer. The high alcohol content will take off lots of stuff that's stubborn. That is, assuming you have already tried soap and lots of water to dissolve the sugar.

BBL_Brewer said:
I hear thermopens are good. Haven't used one myself, but I'd like to get one.

I have one and I love it, but I think there are far less expensive options that work just as well. I have a digital thermometer I bought off eBay for $5 shipped that is just as accurate as my Thermapen. It's a piece crap but it got me through some brews. The Thermapen is built to last. If you can afford one, get it. If not, there are other options.

Dang, thought I was done, nope. Now gotta clean up the mess I made. Gonna sleep like a baby tonight.

I have one and I love it, but I think there are far less expensive options that work just as well. I have a digital thermometer I bought off eBay for $5 shipped that is just as accurate as my Thermapen. It's a piece crap but it got me through some brews. The Thermapen is built to last. If you can afford one, get it. If not, there are other options.

That's true. I'm using a $10 Meijer digital. I often wonder how accurate it is, though. Especially when I'm mashing. I wish I knew someone close that had one for comparison.

I feel like a post whore tonight.

Anyway, so I've been working on perfecting the art of toasting pecans. My Mom brings me random things everytime she goes to Sam's club. This time it was a couple bags of pecans. Ok. I don't do much baking and I'm not a fan of raw pecans, so I've been toasting them. Started with the frying pan...no good. Works, but too much scorching. So, I moved on to the microwave. Much better. Here's my current recipe. A plate full of pecans and a heaping spoon full of country crock. I mean heaping. Get the butter melted and then stir to coat the nuts (insert pun of choice). Then microwave for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle on some sugar after the first 3 minutes. When they're done, salt them. Pretty damn good. Of couse, I've got a few pints in me now, so anything would taste really good. :tank:

Something bothering me and I hate to crash the party.

You ever been wronged? Truly wronged? Your Life changed because of lies against you?

I have.

There are two things a person can do about that. Seek vengeance or seek forgiveness for those who harmed you. I choose the latter.. Forgiveness.

Doesn't mean in my mind I don't want to seek some revenge. That would be easy.

What it means in my heart is I forgive. There was a person in my life who has nearly destroyed me. Anger would be easier but in my heart I know and choose to forgive.

Tomorrow is Lent. It's a good time to let bygones be bygones.

Still working on my Lent sacrifices but thinking Booze, Tobacco and HBT might be them for the next 46 days.

HBT? Maybe I foolishly think I have some friends here.. But my instincts have always been very good and I know I do have some wonderful friends here.

I'll see you guys and gals later, after Easter. I'll never give up forever. Just need to get back in touch in a relationship with God. Him and me have some things to hash out.

HBT? Maybe I foolishly think I have some friends here.. But my instincts have always been very good and I know I do have some wonderful friends here.

Dan, if you don't think I really am your friend, then... umm, I don't know. I am your friend, you do know that. So sorry I haven't been able to really talk to you lately. And same with you, so much going on, we haven't been able to just sit down and talk about it. Love you, my friend...

There was a person in my life who has nearly destroyed me.

Pretty sure I know exactly who you are talking about. Lies and accusations. You explained to me what really happened. Your side is 100% believable, makes perfect sense, just stick to your story.

Pretty sure I know exactly who you are talking about. Lies and accusations. You explained to me what really happened. Your side is 100% believable, makes perfect sense, just stick to your story.

BobbiLynn, BobbiLynn.

You do know me well.

Time for some tunes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you have to bring up these deep topics, Dan? Now I'm horrified that hubby had to have ports put in his neck and chest today because his veins are hardening. Can we just not think about it? Think about something nice instead? Maybe puppies?

Didn't mean to get all crazy like that, Dan made me do it. :ban::ban: I probably shouldn't admit to this, don't try this at home kids, but I napped during the boil of the second one, the IPA. Woke up in time so no harm done, but please do not try this at home, kids.

I'm all electric with a pump to recirculate during the boil, so napping isn't a concern. If I could just figure a way to drop the hops, like one of those automatic fish feeders I would be all set.

I'm all electric with a pump to recirculate during the boil, so napping isn't a concern. If I could just figure a way to drop the hops, like one of those automatic fish feeders I would be all set.

Like a timed hop dropper, so we can nap during the boil, I like it!

You know sometimes the painfully obvious escapes me. I was using a turkey pot and a low pressure 6 inch banjo burner and would have to throttle it way back after the hot break. I switched to a keggle and boiling the same volumes could barely get a boil.

I think that skirt on the bottom of the keggle was holding the bottom of the pot just high enough that it was not heating as well as a flat bottom pot right down low on the burner.

Sigh another reason to buy a new pot:p

You know sometimes the painfully obvious escapes me. I was using a turkey pot and a low pressure 6 inch banjo burner and would have to throttle it way back after the hot break. I switched to a keggle and boiling the same volumes could barely get a boil.

I think that skirt on the bottom of the keggle was holding the bottom of the pot just high enough that it was not heating as well as a flat bottom pot right down low on the burner.

Sigh another reason to buy a new pot:p

Get one of these KYOTTO-AC-Solid-State-Relay-SSR and one of these Camco-02963-Heater-Ripple-Element and a few other odds and ends and turn that keggle into an electric boiler. Cheaper than a new pot and no more propane.

Dudes and dudettes, I fell asleep last night at 10pm. I never fall asleep that early. WTF

Get used to sleeping when you can, when are the twins due? Thought of names for them yet? Just one and he could be Creamy Jr. but there's the other one to think about too. Awwww, I love babies. Babies and puppies. :)

My beers bubbling away. Running out of room to even put the beer I'm brewing. Realizing most of my friends don't even drink. Oh well, more for me.

The lady from the horse farm coming to get her tractor today. It will be sad watching it go. And gotta get more pictures of junk posted. Family was all worried I'd start selling stuff, and now I am. Nothing is theirs. Sorry, nothing in life is free, you can't have it. :p I'm beyond caring what they think. Money will go toward getting crops in the ground and medical bills, of course.

Oh dont you start that again Bobbi!! teehee.

One of my tricks for derailing the "but I want babies now!" discussion with the wife is telling her I want to name the little buzzard horrible names. Isosceles, for instance. Or Orin. She hates that name. Then I start breaking out the Dungeons and Dragons names. Korrock. Mudarl. Gobbo. Always a lot of fun. I get the destroyer of worlds face though... always wise to stop then.

Get used to sleeping when you can, when are the twins due? Thought of names for them yet? Just one and he could be Creamy Jr. but there's the other one to think about too. Awwww, I love babies. Babies and puppies. :)

My beers bubbling away. Running out of room to even put the beer I'm brewing. Realizing most of my friends don't even drink. Oh well, more for me.

The lady from the horse farm coming to get her tractor today. It will be sad watching it go. And gotta get more pictures of junk posted. Family was all worried I'd start selling stuff, and now I am. Nothing is theirs. Sorry, nothing in life is free, you can't have it. :p I'm beyond caring what they think.

So how are you feeling today Bobbi after your twin batch brew day:cross:

So are you going to give us a link to the stuff you are selling? I would be interested in the scales you had:)

Back