I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a random thought. I rainex safe on whatever the plastic is they make glasses out of these days?

Don't know.
But you need to do something.
You're dropping random "s" characters somewhere on the floor.

Watch out, they are slippery!
:)

Speaking of chemical reactions.
I did it, I had a boilover and the 70's vintage linoleum is sticky, sticky no matter what we use.
What's the best wort remover for floors and appliances?

I just had a random thought. I rainex safe on whatever the plastic is they make glasses out of these days?

I don't think it will hurt the plastic itself. However, I have a bottle of rainex anti-fog. It says not to apply to anything that has a scratch resistant coating, so that rules out most plastic glasses right there.

I did it, I had a boilover and the 70's vintage linoleum is sticky, sticky no matter what we use.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say....water :D

I'd guess you probably don't have a problem with wort residue but the linoleum melted a bit from the hot wort. Time for some ceramic tile? ;)

Don't panic!!! We are back in business here! Double brew day was bad idea but going for it... rain finally stopped, maybe next time the rain-ex. Gotta go... things happening....

A heat gun, carpet knife and a scrapper takes that old lino right up, then lay down some tile, problem solved.

Bees found me, wind is blowing like crazy, a storm heading this way it looks like. Picking leaves and bees out of my brew. Never surrender!!!

Bees found me, wind is blowing like crazy, a storm heading this way it looks like. Picking leaves and bees out of my brew. Never surrender!!!

You know, if you could rustle up some hardware cloth with the right mesh you could make a screen to cover the BK with. Keep the bees out.

Happy Mardi Gras nocturnal friends. It's my friday and a chef friend wanted to pair my barleywine with gumbo. It was fantabulous.

image-1592064439.jpg

You know, if you could rustle up some hardware cloth with the right mesh you could make a screen to cover the BK with. Keep the bees out.

I was just wondering about what to do about the bee problem, that would also keep leaves out on a windy day, good idea. Now thunder is starting to roar, but got an umbrella ready to hold over my kettle. Really don't feel like moving everything onto the porch.

Brew day, or experiences always change enough to lend their name to batches.
There you go!

And, my last batch was just that.
I'm sure I'm not the first to call mine "Sticky Foot Pale Ale".

:D

And...I KNEW some folks would answer "get rid of the linoleum".
Yes, but we're ambitious.
We are going to redo the entire kitchen all at once in 1/2 hour like they do on HGTV and DIY Network.
:mug:

Brew day, or experiences always change enough to lend their name to batches.
There you go!

And, my last batch was just that.

:D

And...I KNEW some folks would answer "get rid of the linoleum".
Yes, but we're ambitious.
We are going to redo the entire kitchen all at once in 1/2 hour like they do on HGTV and DIY Network.
:mug:

Just troll around Lowes or HD and hope that kitchen crashers is looking for someone and you'll be all set ;)

BobbiLynn said:

This reminds me of that Brew TV episode when Dawson brews a big beer in freezing temperatures. What he said made so much sense in that the brews we make are good, yet forgettable. It's the conditions that we brew in and the times shared with friends that make it memorable. Going to grab some Kleenex now.

This reminds me of that Brew TV episode when Dawson brews a big beer in freezing temperatures. What he said made so much sense in that the brews we make are good, yet forgettable. It's the conditions that we brew in and the times shared with friends that make it memorable. Going to grab some Kleenex now.

Got my second batch mashing out now, just gotta keep temp. I was on the verge of tears earlier, but not because it was sentimental. Was afraid propane tank would blow and I'd die trying. These 2 batches better come out ****ing great. The immediate storm threat passed but still dark and windy. Do you think oak leaves will add flavor? I doubt the bees will do much for flavor but who knows. Haven't been stung yet. Last time I got stung right between my index and middle finger, hurt like a *****. I think I was over ambitious today because now I'm cursing like a sailor.

Next time someone asks why their wort looks so orange, I'm going to ask if they mashed corn flakes. :tank:

Got my second batch mashing out now, just gotta keep temp. I was on the verge of tears earlier, but not because it was sentimental. Was afraid propane tank would blow and I'd die trying. These 2 batches better come out ****ing great. The immediate storm threat passed but still dark and windy. Do you think oak leaves will add flavor? I doubt the bees will do much for flavor but who knows. Haven't been stung yet. Last time I got stung right between my index and middle finger, hurt like a *****. I think I was over ambitious today because now I'm cursing like a sailor.

That means you're in the 'effing sweet spot with brewing! If you're not cursing then you didn't brew hard enough! :mug:

I did a triple brewday once, and only once. That was when I decided it was time to upgrade to larger batches.

This whole brewing deal is nothing but a long uphill climb with no end in site I think. I thought I was content with small batches but went to 6 gallon. Now I am looking at a big pot and thinking 10 gallon.

It just never ends does it

I usually drop something (usually right after I sanitized it) and that gets me rolling.:rockin:

This.

I remember one time I was straining my cooled wort into my fermenting bucket, when the strainer containing all the trub and hop matter fell directly into the wort. I quickly fished it out and thankfully that batch came out good!

Becomes an obsession. I don't even know what I am going to do with all this beer. Drink it eventually, I suppose. I tell you what though, the one I am drinking now, was an extract kit from back in the days before AG and it's damn good. Make your mouth happy kind of good. Can't wait to start drinking some AG batches even better than this.

Losing light outside now and haven't even started the boil yet. Soaking wet from my feet to my knees and from my wrists to my elbows. Not even sure why. :rockin:

Becomes an obsession. I don't even know what I am going to do with all this beer. Drink it eventually, I suppose. I tell you what though, the one I am drinking now, was an extract kit from back in the days before AG and it's damn good. Make your mouth happy kind of good. Can't wait to start drinking some AG batches even better than this.

Losing light outside now and haven't even started the boil yet. Soaking wet from my feet to my knees and from my wrists to my elbows. Not even sure why. :rockin:

Going to be a LOONG day Bobbi. You are in the zone girl

Last edited by a moderator:
About how much do you think 5.5 gallons of wort weighs? It takes everything in me to lift it and carry it. Going to be sore tomorrow. Feels like 100+ pounds! I think I only weigh 120 right now. Lost some weight since hubby's been sick and he couldn't eat. Felt bad about eating when he couldn't. I have to literally muster every bit of strength inside me to do this. Not looking forward to lifting the grain bag to sparge. Need one of those lift things like the tutorial on BIAB here shows. I lift it, then it attaches to the side of the kettle but I have to hold it to stabilize it. :drunk:

About 50 lbs I reccon. I don't like lifting it either. Before I set up shop downstairs I used to boil on the stove and then carry the boiling hot bk full of wort downstairs to my utility sink for chilling. It's a wonder I never killed myself falling down the stairs, or suffered any third degree burns. Especially with the lines for the wort chiller danging over the side for me to trip over. Now the pump does all the work. I do still have to lift fermenters and kegs though, can't get out of that.

My back is healthy most of the time, but when it decides to go, I can't even walk.
Ergonomics.
Plan your lifts, economize your working space.
One of the many hats I wear is industrial safety professional.
I'm the guy that makes those "safe work plans" for a living.

It's not easy, but good planning goes a long way.
BobbiLynn, you have the smarts to plan it out, just do it in advance and maximize your workspace.

My back is screwed most of the time and I cannot lift a full anything. I use hand trucks and office chairs with wheels to move stuff and I sanitize a gallon pitcher to move wort around when I need to.

Think smarter even though it takes longer

How about a Burned Foot Holiday Ale.

Output hose from the immersion chiller slipped out of the tub. I had shoes on and was not drinking during the brewing. Still earned me a trip to urgent care a couple days later.

So a few day ago I posted that I pitched the yeast in my cream ale at 88 deg. So today I decided to check my thermometer . So my stick on one is reading 70 to 72. So I pulled the airlock and stuck my metal one in ( after cleaning it and wiping it down with star San solution) it was reading 84?????? So I boiled some water. Tested agin 216 deg ????? I'm at a lost

Back