I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will all be okay. I still have faith in myself and mankind. We will not destroy this world out of panic. I won’t!

Well Dan, I think things are going to get bad, but I don't think this is going to destroy any nation or mess with any geo-political boundaries (am I using that term correctly?).

We need to take this seriously, but not panic.

And we need to share the freaking TP. If you're one of those folks buying it all up everywhere you can and you're reading this, knock it off already. Buy some freaking kleenex already.

It's not the virus that scares me, rather, the hoards of uninformed who unnecessarily drain supplies of foods and medicines in a xenophobic panic. People are a thousand times more deadly than any virus could ever be and ignorance fans the flames of panic.

I somewhat disagree. Fighting people at the grocery stores is something that many will only have to do for a few hours each week, with a little planning. Actual fights are happening, but I don't think frequently enough (yet?) to merit much concern. The inconvenience of having to go to several stores to get certain things is mostly just an inconvenience, though it could be dangerous because it increases the chances of contracting the virus. We are, to my knowledge, not yet at a stage where we can expect a severe shortage of essentials. If I'm not mistaken, right now we're mostly seeing a failure of shipping to keep up with demand. I know I personally am annoyed by not being able to find bread flour or dry milk powder at the grocery store right now. All that said, we are still in the early stages of this process, things will change over time. I think the biggest concern I've heard is that, with Chinese production being limited, we're having trouble getting medications from them that we've taken for granted in the past.

As for whether people are a thousand times more deadly than any virus, in this case I believe that is complicated. People motivated by the pandemic could end up doing some serious damage, or people not taking it seriously enough, but the virus itself is likely going to do a lot of harm. We don't know yet how dire the situation will become. It's my hope that people have started taking it seriously enough that we all change our behavior and curb the exponential growth rate so hospitals wont become flooded as badly as we fear. I didn't really see that the other day in the grocery store, where nobody seemed to care about expanding our personal space, but I have heard it from family members who last week didn't believe it was a big deal.

As for whether people are a thousand times more deadly than any virus, in this case I believe that is complicated.

I wasn't talking about physical violence.

Keep in mind, its not the virus but people that hoarded all of the hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol leaving millions without access to this basic preventative measure. I saw a post about a guy who was kicked off Amazon's third party selling platform for selling hand sanitizer for like $70 a bottle. There was a photo of him standing in front of his inventory, cases and cases of purell stacked to the ceiling and now he has no way to sell it. So there it will sit, no help to anyone, because of greed.

I work in a high rise building where every day several thousand people funnel through the lobby to use the elevators. Floor-standing sanitizer dispensers are always there all winter long, but for weeks now they've been empty because not even institutions can get sanitizer. Hospitals can't get surgical masks or gloves. The spread is being artificially boosted by these man-made crises.

I expect rationing is just around the corner and that is when the dark side of humanity will rear it's head.

Aloha
It means a lot of things
Hello to my friends with affection / love
To my Ohana (farmily, blood related or not)
Aloha Love you my brother/sister
Good bye with love and affection.

Aloha is a wonderful word. I’m not Hawaiian but have lived here long enough to understand Aloha is caring, is love, is the one greatest word in the world
So Aloha HBT family

So much panic right now. Please my brothers and sister lets treat each other especially in these days with Aloha, dignity and respect

With great respect and Aloha to my extended Ohana
Mahalo (thank you)

We are going to get through this crisis as a family

Aloha and love
Dan Dawson

Last edited:
Aloha
It means a lot of things
Hello to my friends with affection / love
To my Ohana (farmily, blood related or not)
Aloha Love you my brother/sister
Good bye with love and affection.

Aloha is a wonderful word. I’m not Hawaiian but have lived here long enough to understand Aloha is caring, is love, is the one greatest word in the world
So Aloha HBT family

So much panic right now. Please my brothers and sister lets treat each other especially in these days with Aloha, dignity and respect

With great respect and Aloha to my extended Ohana
Mahalo (thank you)

We are going to get through this crisis as a family

Aloha and love
Dan Dawson

You’re right Dan, I think of myself once turkey hunting in the woods when I got really lost, not just “I love love to get lost in the woods”, but “am I really going to get back?” If I could sit down next to myself and have had a chat, I would have said, “Chad, your smart, this isn’t your first rodeo, you’re going to get out and if you can’t figure it out on your own, there are people who care about you that will help you”. Did I feel panic? You bet, but I know my wife wouldn’t stop looking for me until I was home. There’s also a lot of caring people who pitch in when someone is in trouble. We’re going to be ok. I for one will step up if my neighbor is in trouble. Everyone is scared, so I don’t blame anyone for freaking out and buying a bunch of toilet paper, but it won’t be long before we hike over that bluff and see our ride home. At least we have each other to give us comfort in this crisis.

If I were sitting next to you right now, I'd say "Chad, you're not that smart".

Well Jay Jay, I was just watching a little Family Guy and they explained that “Life’s a beach” is a double entendre. I honestly thought people were just saying “Life is great” without any entendre, so I guess I’m not all that smart after all.

Man! I wish my HBT friends were here now in Hawaii. We could brew beer together, help each other.

On second thought not a good idea, you’d end up quarantined. Fuk!

Please stay strong through these tough times. I know those are easier words to say than do. But we will overcome this damn virus. This virus is not the end of us

Aloha to all on Home Brew Talk, a family
In my mind and heart

Aloha
Dan Dawson

I

I don't know whether I have ever actually made any friends here on HBT (see immediately above), but you all sure mean a whole lot to me. Thanks for being a community whenever I needed it.

BlakeJayjay has been drinking again.

I think a surprising number of us started with the internet back when stranger danger was a big deal, so friendships can be tricky on here. Not like Facebook today where you're supposed to provide your real name up front and trust everybody immediately.

But I think I have seen you in threads around here where people came away liking you or appreciating your input. Not sure they'd invite you to their house, but at least have a drink with you at their local pub.

When the pandemic is over, if you ever want to say hi at the Leinenkugal brewery, I would probably make that drive for you.

I have an alternative to common Hand washing songs

Row row your boat (sing twice)

Happy Birthday to Yourself I think you can sing once per wash session but you’re going to age quickly after a week

Audio Message.caf

not sure if this worked. Guess I’ll post and find out

Good morning!

Aloha with love and affection

My friends I hope all the best for you and your loved ones. To you to you and your family

We are in the **** together.

Aloha
Dan Dawson

Good morning Dan! All is well here. Except that the wife and I are supposed to be on a cruise ship visiting your islands this week. Though at this time I'll take being safe and good health for all my family and friends.

Aloha
Jeff

Last edited:
upload_2020-4-6_10-32-3.png

Wow!

Effing Wow!

Never been so unsettled in my life. Who of us has?
I truly just want to deal with the normal stuff where I live. Mosquito bites, trying to pay off the IRS and complaining about work....You know First World problem stuff.

To my brothers and sisters....I’m not sure what to say these days. No that’s not true

I’m not exactly sure how this pandemic will work out. I realize people are going to die. I also realize nothing is stronger than the will to live.

I still go in to work everyday. Gotta admit... something surreal about driving on what used to be packed freeways. Now empty. It’s nice no traffic but. But, not normal

This pandemic is scary. Eventually it will be over and we can go back to our regular before Corona lives

Until then I bid you peace, safety in health and in finances.

Aloha
Dan Dawson

Hey @Dan it sure is weird these days.

My wife switched her plant up so everyone is on 12 hour shifts. There have been a few false alarms among her employees. Her working 3-4 days per week, and one of us usually going to the store once every 7-10 days, it feels like it's only a matter of time before we get sick.

I have been following the predictions/models that experts are making, and the first "peak" in my state is coming such that people who will be hospitalized are probably starting to feel their symptoms now, so I'm hoping we dodged the first wave.

This is going to change us all. The example I am citing is rather trivial, but I don't really want to think about the serious things. Judging by the empty shelves at grocery stores and the hurt this is bringing to the restaurant business, people are learning how to cook. When the vaccine is developed I think there will be a rush of people going out to eat for a couple of weeks, but after that things aren't going back to normal.

I believe you when you say you want to go back to "first world problems". This past weekend I actually got a little homesick. That isn't something that happens to me often. My parents and my in-laws are all at least a two hours drive away. I probably won't see them again until after the pandemic is over.

I think it'll get back to normal. It's amazing how people can forget pain. As an example, women who have more than one baby.

I think it's the same as a nation. New generations will have no idea, no care, until it's their turn. Hopefully, the agencies that are supposed to handle this on a national level, worldwide, will be better prepared next time. Lots of learning experiences here, after it's over and the data is collected.

I think it'll get back to normal. It's amazing how people can forget pain. As an example, women who have more than one baby.

I think it's the same as a nation. New generations will have no idea, no care, until it's their turn. Hopefully, the agencies that are supposed to handle this on a national level, worldwide, will be better prepared next time. Lots of learning experiences here, after it's over and the data is collected.

I predict that until a vaccine is developed Covid-19 it will end up being endemic somewhat like chicken pox. It'll be better to go through it at a young age when it is less dangerous, though for some it will still require hospitalization. Parents will throw corona parties for their kids like the pox parties we had back in the 80s. There was a kid at my school who got the pox so bad he had them in his mouth and nose which interfered with his breathing so he had to be hospitalized; because of Covid-19 hospitals will need to maintain a number of ventilators to handle the more serious cases. I only just recently learned that a chicken pox vaccine now exists so thankfully kids no longer have to suffer through it. We'll get there with this novel corona virus, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I think that we still don't know much about this virus. We don't know if it is like chickenpox and rarely mutates or if it is like the flu and mutates all the time. I haven't heard that scientists have reached a consensus on how immune a Covid19 survivor is to being re-infected.

I think that until we figure that out, and then depending on that, until we get a massive majority of people to develop an immunity to this virus, we're stuck with the social distancing.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I choose to post now because I appreciate the diverse, yet mostly positive outlook. Which we all can use a little more of. Someone posted about a senseless murder that happened in their town and how he was struggling with the craziness that is going on now. I was the first response, as I wanted to remind him that no matter how it seems those kind of things are still outliers and not the norm in the world. There is way more grace and love in this world than hate. It made me think about how I react to things and people I disagree with. I feel blessed to have been raised in the USA where thought and expression is freer than anywhere else on Earth. Thanks for being positive. Maybe this crisis can change us for the better. Aloha!! Relax and have a homebrew LOL :mug:

I think that we still don't know much about this virus. We don't know if it is like chickenpox and rarely mutates or if it is like the flu and mutates all the time. I haven't heard that scientists have reached a consensus on how immune a Covid19 survivor is to being re-infected.

I think that until we figure that out, and then depending on that, until we get a massive majority of people to develop an immunity to this virus, we're stuck with the social distancing.

Wyeast, White Labs, Fermentis, Lallemand.

TBN: Mash Time, & Part 2.

If you feel the need to quote me please quote only the portion you are responding to or emphasizing, and whatever is needed to provide context.
Unlike+ QuoteReply
You like this.
This makes a lot of sense.

Aloha and love to you all
Not sure about you all but my work has directed us to wear mask. I go into peoples houses daily

The messed contradictory thing about wearing a mask in my opinion is - You’re not suppose to be touching your face often. You wear a mask (they get hot, they shift and you need to reposition them) I’m touching my face constantly it seems

I only have one mask for now wash it at the end of the day, along with my clothes, socks and underwear too.

I don’t go into my house first. This is Hawaii, our laundry room is outside and I get undressed, put my clothes all them in the washer. Go to the out side deepsink and wash my hands

Then go upstairs and take scrubby bubble hot shower

then get dressed and take my towel back down stairs a wash and dry with the clothes I threw In from work

it’s a little nuts and has some flaws. FU corona. My electricity and laundry soap Bill and paranoia are skyrocketing

Our new house rule is also that when one of us comes back from the store, or when my wife comes back from work, we shower right away. We probably could do better about getting our clothes right in the wash.

Back