I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't tell Peyton Manning that. They fought hard and I'm not sure what reporter asked him if he was embarrassed about the loss but some fool did. Manning, said in so many words. Hell NO! We played and played well, we lost. The other team beat us. That's life ( he didn't say those last two words, I did) Work hard, play hard. Your head can always be held high.

We lost a HS football game once 65-0. I played my ass off just to try to not get shut out. I know I did my best. I think my teammates did their best. We were outclassed or just not there that day. We were all embarrassed. Denying it would only make me look foolish.

SI Swimsuit TV Special is on. It reminds me of why Kathy Ireland is their greatest model:

Was that 1998? Bottling and glass carboys. Sheesh. A supermodel should have a better setup than that. And where's her beer gut? She converts beer directly to hair;)

Ischiavo. We lost a HS football game once 65-0. I played my ass off just to try to not get shut out. I know I did my best. I think my teammates did their best. We were outclassed or just not there that day. We were all embarrassed. Denying it would only make me look foolish.

I believe there is a difference between working hard and losing, and participating but still get a trophy. Sports seem to be the last frontier on American steadfastness (probably wrong word)

You worked your ass off in that game and you got beat. Nobody will give you a trophy for that but you know you worked hard to win but lost. The other team was better. Life lesson. You obviously gained from that leveling fact. I don't want to get started on everybody receives a trophy for participating. I ran the Boston Marathon once.
Didn't win, got a pennant for it. Was proud of that, but as I look back. Not so much. I didn't win. Other runners were much better than me. I figure I can sulk on that or accept it. Either way, I'm proud of what I did, even if I wasn't the best. Don't give me an award I didn't deserve but don't take my hard work and drive for granted either. :mug:

Haha.. no Ischiavo, just paying tribute to uncle Hoffman. Not really my uncle, but my ancestors share the same last name.

That's cool. I'm not related to anyone famous as far as I know. I am assuming headache guy is famous...who is he?

What is 13,000? I must have missed something.

I think we just broke 13,000 post here on this thread.

Philip Seymore Hoffman, he was an actor. Died last weekend from a heroin overdose. I just watched a movie the other day he was in. Can't say I liked the role he played but his charector did draw me in. So sad, a person loses control of their life so much they end up dying from drug abuse.. I mean it's understandable why, sort of. But a very sad way for a person's end of their life.

I believe there is a difference between working hard and losing, and participating but still get a trophy. Sports seem to be the last frontier on American steadfastness (probably wrong word)

You worked your ass off in that game and you got beat. Nobody will give you a trophy for that but you know you worked hard to win but lost. The other team was better. Life lesson. You obviously gained from that leveling fact. I don't want to get started on everybody receives a trophy for participating. I ran the Boston Marathon once.
Didn't win, got a pennant for it. Was proud of that, but as I look back. Not so much. I didn't win. Other runners were much better than me. I figure I can sulk on that or accept it. Either way, I'm proud of what I did, even if I wasn't the best. Don't give me an award I didn't deserve but don't take my hard work and drive for granted either. :mug:

I doubt you expected to win. You received a token representing your participation in a special event. I would be proud if I had one. I would not be embarrassed if I lost unless I had expectations of winning.

I doubt you expected to win. You received a token representing your participation in a special event. I would be proud if I had one. I would not be embarrassed if I lost unless I had expectations of winning.

You expressed that much better than I did. Cheers my friend Ischiavo! :mug::mug:

There are things to learn here on HBT
I stay up to late (between you and me)
It's time for me now to hit the sack
You do know tomorrow, I'll be right back
:mug:

I think we just broke 13,000 post here on this thread.

Philip Seymore Hoffman, he was an actor. Died last weekend from a heroin overdose. I just watched a movie the other day he was in. Can't say I liked the role he played but his charector did draw me in. So sad, a person loses control of their life so much they end up dying from drug abuse.. I mean it's understandable why, sort of. But a very sad way for a person's end of their life.

I get it now. My favorite thread. You have a way of drawing good people together.

I don't follow famous people much. I just heard Michael Jackson is dead. No way! I get the sentiment though. A life is a life and precious. It is very sad to see it squandered.

Garage temp Low 48 High 61...I wish this hold on forever.

Been a remarkably gentle "winter" here in CA this year. I agree with you. I live a little farther north in the state. Summers are brutally hot during the day, nights can drop 40 degrees from the day high. But right now.. man, just perfect!

Garage temp Low 48 High 61...I wish this hold on forever.

Been a remarkably gentle "winter" here in CA this year. I agree with you. I live a little farther north in the state. Summers are brutally hot during the day, nights can drop 40 degrees from the day high. But right now.. man, just perfect!

We have had a miserably cold winter so far. We had one nice day that we took the boys sledding. I think it was around 35 and felt like summer. I was ready to wear shorts - actually I only wore a t shirt and hoodie. The coldest temp I have recorded was-25 and below zero is by far the norm lately. That is a 60 degree swing and still all cold! My brewshop door wont even latch because the frost heaved the slab. I am shack happy. I need to get outside.

And now for something completely unrelated: My wife is a photographer and her business has been growing every year. She has been using my old recording studio for her studio since she started out.

We found a house recently zoned res/commercial that is just about perfect for her. The exposure is a million times better than my electrical shop. We live in a drive through town where 3 highways converge. The house is right in the middle of all the intersections.

The owner is willing to accept a land contract. I am happy to go that route but need to do some more research. If any of you folks have any advice on land contracts, I'm all ears. It is a bit scary to take the plunge but weighing the costs with potential benefits, it is hard not to. I guess no risk/no reward applies.

Update on the SoCal Festival woes (making progress):

!!!AB1425-dalyreply.jpg

Hi!

Bunch of stuff to talk to you all about. Guess we're all kind of busy the last few days. I'm not writing much tonight cause I'm dog tired like many of us.

Goodnight good people. :mug:

Will leave you with a song, helps me sleep and imagine good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops. Not asleep yet. I'm at work about ready to leave but needed to use the head before I clock out in a few minutes. To get to the head I have to walk outside. A jet was taking off, pretty late for this place. There is nothing like the body shaking, deep thunderous rumble of a jet engine or the sight of the afterburners glowing in the sky. Here's a cheers to the amazing men and women who fly them and to the more amazing men and women who design and build them. :mug:

It's been slow here lately... Must be the cold weather :)
I happened to catch this on TV last night. I'd have recorded it myself, but my phone is low on space.

Good Saturday Morning Brew Friends. Today is brew day at Casa de Hood. Wife asked for a Vanilla Porter, so here goes. Grains are steeping. This will be my first flavored beer, but after lots of research on HBT I am confident I can pull this off. Will spend the day outside, brewing, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd on Pandora and the Air Force A-10's practicing overhead. Aaaahhhhh...sounds of freedom. Thank you to all our service members, past and present.

Doug, sounds like a great day planned! Your brew day sound like a lot of fun, have a blast! A-10's are awesome airplanes. I love watching those things down low. To see one up close you would wonder how they are so agile in the air. They're like seals, lying around on top of the ice they look sluggish and fat; underwater they are sleek and perform water ballet. I second your thank you to all our service members, past and present.

We're getting a little bit little bit of rain finally in this drought plagued valley, state. I think this year is one of the worst droughts on record for California. The farmers around here are hurting, no rain, the water supply in the north is being kept in the north, Southern CA gets tons of water from the Colorado river but locally we're hurting. A town close by, the cantaloupe capital of the world is said to have a 45% unemployment rate because the majority of the community is involved in farming one way or another but there is no water. "Crops grow where water flows". A few weeks ago there was a rain prayer vigil held by catholic clergy and I think even the Native American nations around here have held a rain dance or two.

Brew finished, all cleaned up. Brew is fermenting in the new fermenting bag (christmas present). See how week that works in leu of a fermentation chamber.

Been a dry winter here in southern AZ as well. Basically zero rain in the last few months and warmer than normal. By end of next week we are forecasted for mid 80's! Fear water rationing as we get a majority of our water from the Colorado via CAP canal.

Hope all have a great weekend. Warm thoughts for those in the mid west and east where its a bit chilly.

Whoosh. It is quite around here.

Maybe a good place to write my life story cause nobody is listening.

Instead, something soothing. Cheers my friends.

DD

Always loved that Dan. That is one very old piece of music. Predates most of the classical favorites.

I've liked this music for a many number of years. Bank of Hawaii made part of it their theme song for awhile. You couldn't watch TV without hearing a variant of this in their commercials. Luckily didn't ruin it for me.

Very beautiful piece of music, and as Stauffbier might say -Indeed! :mug:

You couldn't watch TV without hearing a variant of this in their commercials. Luckily didn't ruin it for me.

This song (Palladio) has been on lots of commercials. DeBeers (diamonds) used it for a long time. I like it a lot. I was certain it was Vivaldi, maybe part of Four Seasons, until I really looked into it.

If in the mood for it listen to Beethoven's Symphony numer 9. Most know his fifth - Dun Dun da Dum...but number nine is truly amazing indeed. If you don't have it on hand. YouTube does. Pretty long though. I'd find the one a fellow in Germany dedicates to the fall of the Berlin wall. Warning, it's about an hour or so.

Pappy, or anybody - ever gone to a symphony concert? I haven't. I'm not ashamed to admit I wouldn't mind getting dressed up in a Tux (it would be rented) and my wife dressed up in a beautiful evening gown. A carriage ride to a sypmhony concer hall. What symphony? Not really sure, probably Vivaldi, or Beethoven maybe. Pachelbels' Canon in D would be bliss.

If in the mood for it listen to Beethoven's Symphony numer 9. Most know his fifth - Dun Dun da Dum...but number nine is truly amazing indeed. If you don't have it on hand. YouTube does. Pretty long though. I'd find the one a fellow in Germany dedicates to the fall of the Berlin wall. Warning, it's about an hour or so.

I think I have all of beethoven. All of it. I can play the 9th (the common part, anyway) on piano. Harmonica too (just did it, as I was playing around with the harmonica just now).

Here's a great piece of classical music in a movie I liked very much. Don't bother renting it, no one I've ever met liked it. The artistry and music in the movie was excellent I thought. Very interesting opening sequence. The movie is about a planet that crashes into earth and ends life here. Very uplifting!

I think I have all of beethoven. All of it. I can play the 9th (the common part, anyway) on piano. Harmonica too (just did it, as I was playing around with the harmonica just now).

Here's a great piece of classical music in a movie I liked very much. Don't bother renting it, no one I've ever met liked it. The artistry and music in the movie was excellent I thought. Very interesting opening sequence. The movie is about a planet that crashes into earth and ends life here. Very uplifting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty80gJfKDlE

Whew! Music can certainly set the stage!

I took a music appreciation class once. Think I got an "A' in it. Set me off music for a few years. I had always enjoyed what I called classical music. After the class I found out my discription was incorrect, i didn't understand the layout or whatever it's called.. Three years later I started enjoying it again.

My favorite classical concerto. Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 2.

There are 3 movements to this concerto, with the second being my favorite. Eric Carmen wrote the popular All By Myself in the 70's, based on the theme from this concerto. If you listen to the concerto all the way through (9:00 and beyond), and you're familiar with the Carmen song, you'll definitely hear the similarity.

Back