I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing the greatest waste of time ever... making mustard. Imagine valuing your time less.

I listened to the entire Sade catalog today. Love her. She's got that thing that makes me feel very cool and relaxed. For your late nite soundtrack, Sade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going back at the end of February and Duarte's is on the list.

Cool! They have great beers on tap, but make sure to get their signature artichoke soup, smelt appetizer, and stop at Pidgeon Point Lighthouse on the way back. Oh, and there's a great jam shop on a farm along the road (small sign) there that has homemade boysenberry jam, delish.

I'm doing the greatest waste of time ever... making mustard. Imagine valuing your time less.

I listened to the entire Sade catalog today. Love her. She's got that thing that makes me feel very cool and relaxed. For your late nite soundtrack, Sade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TAfk5rJS8

What did you decide on for a recipe? I probably bought enough seeds to keep me in mustard for the rest of my life, just haven't done it yet. Soon, soon.;)

What did you decide on for a recipe? I probably bought enough seeds to keep me in mustard for the rest of my life, just haven't done it yet. Soon, soon.;)

Yep, I bought 3 pounds of both yellow and brown seeds, They are in jars now.

I went with this. Tastes great. I plan on dipping into it a lot on Sunday, I'll post pictures in the usual place by then.

[edit: I did make a nice small chicken Parmesan while the mustard jars were processing, so it wasn't time wasted.

cq5dam.web.616.462.jpeg

Link dosen't seem to work, No ketchup on a dog, ok, maybe a spicy homemade, maybe. Not that I eat hotdogs but maybe a homemade hotdog, maybe.

Link works for me. Love ketchup and hot dogs. A hot dog is just a sausage from emulsified meat (ok, somewhat nasty meat). I've got a good link for making your own hot dogs somewhere, but this is the wrong thread for that.

No ketchup on dogs for me. Actually no dogs for me at all since I have been blessed with the gout. I think its the nitrites/nitrates. I would not mind a homemade recipe.

My son wants to make cheese tomorrow. I wanted to do mozzarella but I don't have rennet or citric acid. Can you pull a vinegar curdled cheese like farmers cheese? I may have to experiment.

Happy Superbowl!

You're doing a lot better than I am, doublt I'll make it past 10 tonight. This week feels like two weeks. I was ready for Friday on Tuesday. :D

Edit: Time for a shower and bed. G'night folks.
I hear that. Another department at work did something that spiked one of my workloads by about 700%, and didn't tell anyone. 11+ hour days suck.

On an unrelated topic, I'm finally building myself a new computer. I've been using my current build, with periodic upgrades, for 11 years. If you guys are interested I'll put up pictures, but I've only got a few of the components so far.

I hear that. Another department at work did something that spiked one of my workloads by about 700%, and didn't tell anyone. 11+ hour days suck.

On an unrelated topic, I'm finally building myself a new computer. I've been using my current build, with periodic upgrades, for 11 years. If you guys are interested I'll put up pictures, but I've only got a few of the components so far.

I would like to see it. I built my first computer at college with some help from a buddy. I think it was a 486 with a "lot" of expensive RAM;). 11 years is impressive. I got 6 out of my last Dell. I think the ultimate issue with the Dell was that one of the fans crapped out and something overheated. Things went downhill from there. Is it still cheaper to build one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TAfk5rJS8

What was it, back in the mid 80's? I went through a time period when Sade, The Rippingtions Moonlighting, and Kenny G CDs embodied most of my music collection. I might have to look up The Rippingtons, haven't heard them since the 80's. Wonder if I'll still like their music?

Nice memory to bring back Pappy. :mug:

I would like to see it. I built my first computer at college with some help from a buddy. I think it was a 486 with a "lot" of expensive RAM;). 11 years is impressive. I got 6 out of my last Dell. I think the ultimate issue with the Dell was that one of the fans crapped out and something overheated. Things went downhill from there. Is it still cheaper to build one?
The explanation of why I'm doing a lot of this stuff is going to end up like a book... You've been warned.

Yes and no. Mostly no. You can get a similar system cheaper by buying it pre-assembled.

What you can't get is a system that is as high of a quality. Every single pre-assembled system has some choice in it's configuration that is either not applicable to most of the market, or just flat stupid. I see a lot of high end cpu's in systems with 8gb of ram or less for instance. Another common problem is that many systems with really nice cpu's don't have decent video cards. They get setup with either a high capacity magnetic drive or a ssd. The list goes on.

Another problem is that the individual components aren't generally very good quality. Pre-assembled systems always have some cheap parts that end up causing problems down the road.

Why Build?
The bottom line is that I can't find a computer manufacture who builds systems the way I want mine built. So, I'm going to do it myself.

Budget :(
My budget for this project isn't huge, so I'm leaving out two major components for a few months. A high end video card. The motherboard I'll be using does have on-board video so I can get the system on it's feet without this. A high capacity magnetic hard drive. I have a 3TB network drive, so this isn't urgent either.

To SLI or not to SLI?
I don't personally care for sli or crossfire for video processing. I prefer to use a single higher performance card instead. It makes the system easier to troubleshoot in the event of a problem, and removes some unnecessary complexity. I also need more information on the state of the linux drivers for both major manufactures. This gives me the time to nail down some of the software concerns too.

Hard drives, let me count the ways...
The high capacity magnetic HDD is designed to be used in tandem with an SSD. The SSD will contain all of the system files and programs and working user files. The magnetic drive will be for accessing large amounts of occasional use data. Music, video, photos, etc... Once setup the network drive will be used for data backup only with the main data access for the same data being the high capacity magnetic drive actually in the system.

The advantage to this is that the read/write speed of the SSD is substantially higher then that of the magnetic drive. That will improve the performance of all of the entire system. The problem with the SSD's is that they aren't high enough capacity to hold all of the occasional use data. Having the magnetic drive in the system gives me the data storage capacity in the system. That data retrieval is much faster then moving data across the network, and will allow me to take the pressure off the network drive so it lasts longer.

Components List
Samsung 840 EVO-Series 250GB SSD
3.5" to 2.5" HDD bay adapter
CM Hyper T4 CPU cooler
Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
5.25" multi-card reader with 2 usb 3.0 ports
5.25" storage drawer
Intel I7-4770k 3.5ghz quad core CPU
12x blue ray rw combo drive
Mana 136 black mid tower case
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H Motherboard
Corsair CX750M 750 watt power supply
Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM

Pictures and thought:

This is a fairly nice mid tower case. Fairly sturdy, but with lots of places that are mesh for good ventilation. Not to bad looking either. I like the pre-routing of all the cables, and how open the case is. Places for up to 5 more 120mm fans.

The 5.25" bays have these locks on the side. That makes it extremely easy to install devices in the bays.

The pre-routed sata cables connect to these behind 3.5" bays. That should save me some time and annoyance install the HDD's. I'm slightly concerned that they won't match up with the 2.5" drive in the adapter, but I won't know until I have received all of the components.

blue ray rw.jpg

case 1.jpg

case 2.jpg

case 3.jpg

case 4.jpg

More of the same:

The optional cables allow for 6 accessory power connections. In two groups. So, 6 sata, or 3 sata and 3 4 pin connections, or 6 4 pin connections. It's nice how you don't actually have to use all of the accessory power connections. That way you can remove some extra cabling if you don't need it and improve the air flow.

There is a shot here of the power supply and optical drive installed. I can't go farther until I have more of the components.

A shot of the motherboard. Very nicely uncluttered. It should be relatively easy to get things installed on it.

A shot of the ram sticks. It's important that they be a matched pair to take full advantage of the dual channel capabilities of the motherboard. Even though the board maxes at 32GB, it's highest efficiency is actually with 2 identical chips. One in each channel, so this system will be effectively maxed out on ram. Adding more is likely to actually degrade the total system performance rather then enhance it.

power supply 1.jpg

power supply 2.jpg

install 1.jpg

motherboard 1.jpg

ram 1.jpg

The explanation of why I'm doing a lot of this stuff is going to end up like a book... You've been warned.

Yes and no. Mostly no. You can get a similar system cheaper by buying it pre-assembled.

What you can't get is a system that is as high of a quality. Every single pre-assembled system has some choice in it's configuration that is either not applicable to most of the market, or just flat stupid. I see a lot of high end cpu's in systems with 8gb of ram or less for instance. Another common problem is that many systems with really nice cpu's don't have decent video cards. They get setup with either a high capacity magnetic drive or a ssd. The list goes on.

Another problem is that the individual components aren't generally very good quality. Pre-assembled systems always have some cheap parts that end up causing problems down the road.

Why Build?
The bottom line is that I can't find a computer manufacture who builds systems the way I want mine built. So, I'm going to do it myself.

Budget :(
My budget for this project isn't huge, so I'm leaving out two major components for a few months. A high end video card. The motherboard I'll be using does have on-board video so I can get the system on it's feet without this. A high capacity magnetic hard drive. I have a 3TB network drive, so this isn't urgent either.

To SLI or not to SLI?
I don't personally care for sli or crossfire for video processing. I prefer to use a single higher performance card instead. It makes the system easier to troubleshoot in the event of a problem, and removes some unnecessary complexity. I also need more information on the state of the linux drivers for both major manufactures. This gives me the time to nail down some of the software concerns too.

Hard drives, let me count the ways...
The high capacity magnetic HDD is designed to be used in tandem with an SSD. The SSD will contain all of the system files and programs and working user files. The magnetic drive will be for accessing large amounts of occasional use data. Music, video, photos, etc... Once setup the network drive will be used for data backup only with the main data access for the same data being the high capacity magnetic drive actually in the system.

The advantage to this is that the read/write speed of the SSD is substantially higher then that of the magnetic drive. That will improve the performance of all of the entire system. The problem with the SSD's is that they aren't high enough capacity to hold all of the occasional use data. Having the magnetic drive in the system gives me the data storage capacity in the system. That data retrieval is much faster then moving data across the network, and will allow me to take the pressure off the network drive so it lasts longer.

Components List
Samsung 840 EVO-Series 250GB SSD
3.5" to 2.5" HDD bay adapter
CM Hyper T4 CPU cooler
Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
5.25" multi-card reader with 2 usb 3.0 ports
5.25" storage drawer
Intel I7-4770k 3.5ghz quad core CPU
12x blue ray rw combo drive
Mana 136 black mid tower case
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H Motherboard
Corsair CX750M 750 watt power supply
Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM

I like the way you do things. I understand much less about the components than I used to and you lost me a bit. I just cleaned up my wifey's lap top tonight (that's where I am now). How can someone make such a mess of a computer? It is at least 10x faster now with a few hours of scans and such. I guess she still needs me for something.

Will you build my next computer for me?

What was it, back in the mid 80's? I went through a time period when Sade, The Rippingtions Moonlighting, and Kenny G CDs embodied most of my music collection. I might have to look up The Rippingtons, haven't heard them since the 80's. Wonder if I'll still like their music?

Nice memory to bring back Pappy. :mug:

Here you go guys speaking of 80's. Have a drink on me. Hell will pay.

edit: I thought I learned how to post a youtube vid. Is there a tutorial somewhere.....

Here you go guys speaking of 80's. Have a drink on me. Hell will pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Gwkg6M94WZQ&list=RDzM1xL2JPWJo

edit: I thought I learned how to post a youtube vid. Is there a tutorial somewhere.....
To many commands for it to embed. You just want the actual video string one. It starts with v=
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?[COLOR="Red"]feature=player_detailpage&[/COLOR]v=Gwkg6M94WZQ[COLOR="Red"]&list =RDzM1xL2JPWJo[/COLOR]

The corrected string: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwkg6M94WZQ

I like the way you do things. I understand much less about the components than I used to and you lost me a bit. I just cleaned up my wifey's lap top tonight (that's where I am now). How can someone make such a mess of a computer? It is at least 10x faster now with a few hours of scans and such. I guess she still needs me for something.

Will you build my next computer for me?
Is there anything you would like an explanation of?

Sure, if you want to buy everything and come visiting. I seem to remember doing a complete system build taking about 4 hours. More to make sure you understand how everything should be installed before doing it, rather then it actually being that much labor.

I haven't done a windows install in a long time, so I'm not sure how long the software side would take.

Yep, I bought 3 pounds of both yellow and brown seeds, They are in jars now.

I went with this. Tastes great. I plan on dipping into it a lot on Sunday, I'll post pictures in the usual place by then.

[edit: I did make a nice small chicken Parmesan while the mustard jars were processing, so it wasn't time wasted.

cq5dam.web.616.462.jpeg

On my list for my return from NOLA. Thanks!

I do that too. Every two or three years I take out the MB, memory, video card, and OS and rebuild. I keep all files data files on a separate set of large drives (RAID 1 mirrored) so I can just move them over.

I keep 5 computers running - 3 laptops for the kids and my wife has a small PC built into a kitchen cabinet (that one is interesting - ran the cables through the wall and mounted the monitor on the wall above the counter, and the keyboard is hidden in a false drawer!)

I do that too. Every two or three years I take out the MB, memory, video card, and OS and rebuild. I keep all files data files on a separate set of large drives (RAID 1 mirrored) so I can just move them over.

I keep 5 computers running - 3 laptops for the kids and my wife has a small PC built into a kitchen cabinet (that one is interesting - ran the cables through the wall and mounted the monitor on the wall above the counter, and the keyboard is hidden in a false drawer!)
I've got a tablet laptop, my present desktop, and a little desktop for my Mother that I maintain.

If anyone is looking for a device that can function as a tablet, laptop, and a desktop take a look at the Asus Transformer Book (T100TA-C1-GR). I will let you Google and read the specs and reviews, but I like the full Windows 8.1, the included keyboard, and the price ($399 msrp). I got mine for $350 each.

I picked up two of these after Thanksgiving. One for me and the other as a early XMAS present for the boy. He has a nice phone and a high end i7 laptop for school and thought he wouldn't want something like this. Turns out he couldn't put the Asus down during the holiday break.

I've got a couple high end desktops and laptops in the house and I've been trying to find things I can't do with the Asus and have been surprising myself. I would be more than happy to provide any additional opinions if you were curious.

Interesting form factor. A nice compromise between a tablet and a laptop.

Micro HDMI and USB and USB 3.0 lets me connect it to ext monitor/keyboard/mouse. I've got Office 2013 Pro Plus, VPN, Remote Desktop and a bunch of dev tools running on it. I added a 64 GB microSD. And I must say, that while I didn't much like Windows 8.1 in a non-touch environment, it shines in this form factor.

[ame]http://youtu.be/VOvDTCbcHe0[/ame]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Home Brew mobile app

Speaking of Superbowl ads, anyone have issues with the Coke ad? It was played before one of the above videos so reminded me of it. I won't lose any sleep but I did not think it was in the best of taste.

Speaking of Superbowl ads, anyone have issues with the Coke ad? It was played before one of the above videos so reminded me of it. I won't lose any sleep but I did not think it was in the best of taste.

Was about as impressed as I was with Namath's "fur" coat. We should call him Huggy Bear Joe.

What was really cool was CBS leaking their WiFi key on the air while they were showing off their Super Bowl security control room. Classic.

Man, Mondays.

Do you feel like I do? :p

Ladies and gentlemen, for your late night listening I give you, Mr Peter Frampton!

(long song, 14+ minutes, if in a hurry fast forward to 07:00)

Man, Mondays.

Do you feel like I do? :p

Ladies and gentlemen, for your late night listening I give you, Mr Peter Frampton!

(long song, 14+ minutes, if in a hurry fast forward to 07:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Yq5m9eLIQ

On my phone, it's "blocked in my country". I had a few beers but I don't believe I have left the country...

There was no game. There was no game. There was no game....:(

Don't tell Peyton Manning that. They fought hard and I'm not sure what reporter asked him if he was embarrassed about the loss but some fool did. Manning, said in so many words. Hell NO! We played and played well, we lost. The other team beat us. That's life ( he didn't say those last two words, I did) Work hard, play hard. Your head can always be held high.

Back