I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife gives as good as she gets, and I give her a lot of silliness :). Lucas is knuckles as well. It was a lot of fun to do the video... drinking the mead though... not so much.

As I was watching I kept thinking if you added a little plain gelatin and then put them in the fridge, you could have done an okra mead Jell-O shot party ;)

As I was watching I kept thinking if you added a little plain gelatin and then put them in the fridge, you could have done an okra mead Jell-O shot party ;)

He's one a them gourmet eaters. He shoulda got him a beef knuckle and made okra mead aspic. Or thrown some beets in there and made beeteefkraloaf. Sorry for the 'I'm on HBT way too much' multithread reference.

Howdy hey late niters, lovers, dreamers, good deeders, merchants of good cheer. I hope life is bringing you good things, and if not, just walk outside and maybe you will be gifted, as I am tonight, with an ink-black sky studded with diamonds.

For your late night soundtrack, I submit to you 10 minutes of the best documentary I've ever seen. Mark Borchardt (and Mike Shank) are the real deal. I have no idea if you can rent this or stream it on netflix, but if you can't find it let me know. It's called American Movie.

Life is kinda cool sometimes.

here's part 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody. I got up at 8:30am this morning and didn't stop working on my bathroom until 9:30pm. It comes out to like 11:30 hours of actual work, after deducting time for lunch and a couple breaks. I got the ridiculous floor vent boxed in to a normal size, and all the new drywall hung and taped. I took the pictures before the taping obviously.

Now, I'm going to open a homebrew and chill out for a bit. Then go to sleep.

drywall1.jpg

drywall2.jpg

Hi everybody. I got up at 8:30am this morning and didn't stop working on my bathroom until 9:30pm. It comes out to like 11:30 hours of actual work, after deducting time for lunch and a couple breaks. I got the ridiculous floor vent boxed in to a normal size, and all the new drywall hung and taped. I took the pictures before the taping obviously.

Wow, what a difference. Maybe you'll miss the pink tile?

Nice progress - definitely earned that home brew! :mug:

After a 5 hour nap, hmm, can't sleep. Broke out the premature apple cider to try out another sample. I really like where it's headed. It's strong, to drink it straight you have to sip it in a wine type glass. Well, to me it's very strong.

Hubby is trying to woo me back so bought me a super deluxe nozzle for my garden hose. Said he shopped all over town to get the best one money could buy. He knows I can't stand cheap nozzles always breaking.

A friend of mine sits for an elderly gentlemen. She was venting on the phone, saying how mean he has become as he has become sicker and sicker. Even threatening to bite her when she was trying to feed him, to his snappy comments from innocent questions posed to him, and even putting up his hands and my friend knew that look in his eyes, he wanted to hit her. I couldn't say I understand what it's like, because you just don't tell people that, but did tell her I could sort of understand. We talked about possible options a little, this guy's poor wife, she can't handle him alone. One week she told my friend that she couldn't afford to pay her anymore, so don't come back to work. But then called the very next day and asked her to please come back. The daughter of this lady's husband has paid my friend since.

Oh, so nice to just to be rambling late night. I feel like I had a productive week and it's barely Friday. This weekend, I think I will cover some scars with tattoos. Pretty things that will make the scars not show. :)

Howdy hey late niters, lovers, dreamers, good deeders, merchants of good cheer. I hope life is bringing you good things, and if not, just walk outside and maybe you will be gifted, as I am tonight, with an ink-black sky studded with diamonds.

For your late night soundtrack, I submit to you 10 minutes of the best documentary I've ever seen. Mark Borchardt (and Mike Shank) are the real deal. I have no idea if you can rent this or stream it on netflix, but if you can't find it let me know. It's called American Movie.

Life is kinda cool sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKSbBmDIgFw

here's part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6qRL5rlVYc

Pappy, just have one thing to say about all that.

(I'm stretching it, but whatever I write next, imagine Waylon Jennings singing his song, Lukenbock Texas.

I know, Pappy knows this song. Going to post it below for a second. MY, true selfish wishes are you listen to the song and after it's over, check out my words. The song gives an emotion and cadence. I hope my words following are at least 1/10 as good. :eek:

Well the only four things in life that make it worth living
Are Brewing, hops, great yeast, and a good chilling
My brew don't need to be named in the stars tonight
I got my rig and it makes me feel alright

Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of beer

Let's go to, HomeBrewTown,
Where nobody feels down
No taxes :tank:extraordinare
A humble life we'll live there
As family we will surely share
The honest beer brewed there

That's just the first couple, what's it called? Stanzas? Probably won't be anyt more after that.

:mug::D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I started to look at properties today for the LHBS I am going to open. I am thinking this is a great time to be buying since the first one I looked at had 12,000 square foot in a great location and was only 79,000. It needed some work but overall it would have been pretty good other than it was right next to the train tracks. I want to live in the building while I renovate and I just do not want to deal with the trains late at night.

I really cannot wait to get out of this house. Rocky soil and a little over a acre in lawn to mow just sucks.

Does the cranberry wine taste like thanksgiving cranberry? Is it sweet or bitter?
It came out fairly sour. I add a little simple syrup to the glass before I drink it. Then it's really nice. It's more like an extra smooth cranberry juice. It reminds me a little of how red wine ages. It doesn't have that "cooked" flavor.

After a 5 hour nap, hmm, can't sleep. Broke out the premature apple cider to try out another sample. I really like where it's headed. It's strong, to drink it straight you have to sip it in a wine type glass. Well, to me it's very strong.

Hubby is trying to woo me back so bought me a super deluxe nozzle for my garden hose. Said he shopped all over town to get the best one money could buy. He knows I can't stand cheap nozzles always breaking...
That's because it's to young. As it ages the apparent alcohol diminishes and the apparent apple flavor increases. If I remember your cider correctly it's dry. So a little simple syrup, or corn syrup, mixed in will help it taste more like apples.

Once it gets to 6-8 months the apparent alcohol will practically disappear. That's when it gets really dangerous. :)

Well I started to look at properties today for the LHBS I am going to open. I am thinking this is a great time to be buying since the first one I looked at had 12,000 square foot in a great location and was only 79,000. It needed some work but overall it would have been pretty good other than it was right next to the train tracks. I want to live in the building while I renovate and I just do not want to deal with the trains late at night.

I really cannot wait to get out of this house. Rocky soil and a little over a acre in lawn to mow just sucks.
I hope you find the property that is best for you.

The first mudding has been done in my bathroom for a while now. Just hanging out waiting for it to dry. Waiting for mud and paint to dry is probably going to screw up my time line.

Still to do:
(Friday)
sand drywall mud
mud a second time
prime and paint baseboard
sand drywall mud
mud a third time?
sand drywall mud?
(Saturday)
prime
paint
(Sunday)
install flooring, stick down vinyl tiles
install vanity cabinet
install trim piece behind toilet
install toilet
install vanity top and sink
(Monday)
remove old light fixture
sand/paint around old fixture
install new fixture
install remaining base board

I'm hoping to get the priming done tonight, so I can install the floor tomorrow evening.

The mud finally dried. Got that all sanded and the second coat on where it's needed.

In the mean time, I removed and primed the door to the bathroom. I also removed and cleaned up the hinges. Stripped the paint off of them, went at them with a wire brush and a scrubby pad. Discovered they are rather nice brass hinges. Not that you could tell with all the paint and corrosion on them. Hit them with a little MAF cleaner to get the corrosion out of the joints, and oiled them. I'll re-install them with the door, they should be good for another 20 years at least.

I also painted the baseboard for the room, and installed the new "correct" under sink valves.

I really hope the primer and paint dries much faster tomorrow then the mud did today.

No new pictures today. It looks pretty much the same, only with drywall mud lines.

On other fronts, the nectarines still aren't ripe for the nectarine mead. Plus, spumoni ice cream is yummy. :)

EDIT: Ooooh, spumoni pie!

The mud finally dried. Got that all sanded and the second coat on where it's needed.

In the mean time, I removed and primed the door to the bathroom. I also removed and cleaned up the hinges. Stripped the paint off of them, went at them with a wire brush and a scrubby pad. Discovered they are rather nice brass hinges. Not that you could tell with all the paint and corrosion on them. Hit them with a little MAF cleaner to get the corrosion out of the joints, and oiled them. I'll re-install them with the door, they should be good for another 20 years at least.

I also painted the baseboard for the room, and installed the new "correct" under sink valves.

I really hope the primer and paint dries much faster tomorrow then the mud did today.

No new pictures today. It looks pretty much the same, only with drywall mud lines.

Hey LG! Sounds like some nice progress. One nice thing about having your own home among many,means you can see in it what others might not have. The potential of a home. I bought my place around ten years ago and look back at some of the stuff I've done to it. Not like it's a grandiose palace or anything but I like it. I look at some things I've done here and ask myself, "How did I ever do THAT?"

Enjoy my friend. Making a home yours is just about one of the best things in life. Some may call that selfish and materialistic. I call it being a homeowner. Buying a house isn't cheap, there are a myriad of changes that make it a home. It is a place you will someday possibly raise a family.

Well Done, LG. Well done. Super happy for you!

V'man, Looking forward to reading about your new adventure. I've never had the kahonas to do something like you are doing. Guess I'll live a little through your adventures.. pretty sure there is a word for that but eff me if I remember what it is.

Best of luck V'man! :mug::mug::mug:

Hey LG! Sounds like some nice progress. One nice thing about having your own home among many,means you can see in it what others might not have. The potential of a home. I bought my place around ten years ago and look back at some of the stuff I've done to it. Not like it's a grandiose palace or anything but I like it. I look at some things I've done here and ask myself, "How did I ever do THAT?"

Enjoy my friend. Making a home yours is just about one of the best things in life. Some may call that selfish and materialistic. I call it being a homeowner. Buying a house isn't cheap, there are a myriad of changes that make it a home. It is a place you will someday possibly raise a family.

Well Done, LG. Well done. Super happy for you!
Thanks Dan. I know it will be nice when I'm done, and I bought this house knowing it needed a lot of work. I'm just at that point in the project where I'd much rather it be done already. I'm a little nervous about how much money I've had to lay out for everything. That, and waiting for stuff to dry drives me nuts. I'd much rather just be getting it done.

Did I mention I had to setup a shop in the garage to do this stuff too? That's where most of the money went. The drywall, paint, etc, was relatively inexpensive next to the tools and other odd bits I needed to setup shop.

I'll snap some pics of the shop if anybody is interested.

Leadgolem said:
Thanks Dan. I know it will be nice when I'm done, and I bought this house knowing it needed a lot of work. I'm just at that point in the project where I'd much rather it be done already. I'm a little nervous about how much money I've had to lay out for everything. That, and waiting for stuff to dry drives me nuts. I'd much rather just be getting it done.

Did I mention I had to setup a shop in the garage to do this stuff too? That's where most of the money went. The drywall, paint, etc, was relatively inexpensive next to the tools and other odd bits I needed to setup shop.

I'll snap some pics of the shop if anybody is interested.

I hear you there. We're planning out some big changes ourselves and looking at tools and garage space is enough for me to start getting bids. We're going to be moving some closets, adding walls and doors, making our master shower a bigger walk in, and completely redoing two bathrooms. I get a headache just thinking about it, but know that no one will put the same amount of love and effort in to the project as I will.

Dan said:
V'man, Looking forward to reading about your new adventure. I've never had the kahonas to do something like you are doing. Guess I'll live a little through your adventures.. pretty sure there is a word for that but eff me if I remember what it is.

"Vicariously" is the word you're looking for Dan, and I will be living that way a bit too!!

No idea what I'm doing up so late. My son and his wife and a buddy drove up here today from Camp Pendelton. About a 6 hour drive. They got in around midnight. Tomorrow, I mean today we are going to hit the backyard with some vengance. The boys have some brick removing and relaying. We have some bamboo to cut down and clean up. There is a wicked 35 foot palm that needs dead branches cut off.

Really just wanted my son to come up this weekend to see him before I head overseas. Figure a little yard work wouldn't be a bad exchange for free food and time with "Dad". I got two young MARINES to help me with that stuff.

Crap, wish I was that age again.

Better get some sleep or I'll be no good tomorrow.

Thanks Dan but I have to tell you this is more just something to keep me busy. Both my wife and I have owned successful businesses and we both swore we were done with that but I have to be busy doing something or I will go crazy. The way I look at it if it takes off great and if it flops great I will have a ton of brewing stuff and grain.

I am not sure how well it is going to work to be honest. Every business I have owned took 80 hour weeks to get going and I just do not want that anymore. I am thinking I am going to offer a product at a fair price with a friendly store and lots of help. I want to own a place that people will want to come in and just sit down and shoot the bull for a bit if they want. I want to own a place that people KNOW they can come into and not feel pressure to buy anything just enjoy the day.

Hehe good thing I am not counting on making money doing this huh:mug:

V-man the shop I got hooked on this obsession was only open every weekend (face it that is when most plan to brew) and Thursday and Friday evenings. He finished work at 3pm. and his shop was only a couple of blocks away. After he retired he polled the brewers and only added full day M-W-F. He had one of the first JSP Maltmills that he ran over 2000 bags through before he bought the adjustable model. He did all of his own brewing there so he would post time and style of beer if anyone stopped by he would sell them supplies he even made up kits of some of his recipes. Plus if you have a passion for it the work isn't as bad. I plan to do the same when I retire small, well stocked, shop with a brew on premiss (I'd like to have a walk -in to lager for those who don't have the space or $$) come in share samples. Good Luck.:ban:

It must be summer time, the gd neighbors are setting of fireworks. At least it's early. When it's after 2 am and my wife or I have to be up in a couple hours, I've had to talk myself out of shotgun diplomacy a couple times. My dog hates fireworks anytime of night. These folks set them off what seems like every other weekend at least. They've got to spend at least a couple thousand dollars a year on them. Not like that's my concern, but just a frame of reference for how many explosions I get to hear every summer.

On the bright side, it's just fireworks and not the real explosions from the new people in the trailer up in the woods behind the fireworks neighbors. I thought about calling ATF last year. Don't know what they were doing, but it was wtf loud. Louder than the time some FIFOs threw a coleman propane tank in the fire at the campground.

Fireworks show is over, for now anyways. Reggie, my dog is growling and not so sure...

Best of luck to you on your new venture, v-man!! I was surprised when you posted about it, had no idea you were planning something like that. Keep it laid back and simple, I'm sure you'll do great.

My son and I decided to take a train to Pennsylvania, and tour Philadelphia along the way. 2 nights on the train, 2 nights in the big city and 2 nights with family. I'm so looking forward to the vacation!

I made good progress today. I got the priming and painting done. installed the flooring. Installed the vanity cabinet, not water hooked up to it yet it's not secured to the cabinet yet. Installed the baseboard behind the toilet. Discovered I was missing a flange bolt. It fell down through the floor at some point. Fortunately there is a space around the sewer line in the basement ceiling drywall, so I was able to find it and run it back up in place. Installed the new medicine cabinet. Not really a new cabinet, it was here when I moved in. The silvering isn't coming off the mirror though, so I'm using it.

I didn't do a great job on the mudding, but it's an old house with wavy walls. It's not horrible. You can see in the pictures that I didn't paint around the light fixture. That's because I have a new light fixture, and I want to paint that section of the wall while nothing is installed.

The tile is vinyl stick down. Honestly though, I think it looks really good. I used an adhesion promoter before sticking them down, hopefully they will stay put. They feel like they will.

I had to stop working. I was starting to screw up. I cut the piece for the other side of the rooms baseboard 45 1/2 instead of 54 1/2. I'm not wasting any more materials because I'm trying to work when I'm to tired.

The priority for tomorrow will be getting the toilet re-installed and getting the sink working. That does mean calking the baseboard before the toilet goes in. It would be a pita to do later. That's also why I installed the baseboard and the vanity cabinet first. I needed to measure for the baseboard, but couldn't until the vanity was in.

paint+floor1.jpg

paint+floor2.jpg

paint+floor3.jpg

paint+floor4.jpg

I can not sleep!!! All I can think about is my trip! Making travel plans is exhausting. Our 5 day trip turned into 8 days. Asked my son about getting the time off work and he said he'd quit his job before he'd miss it. I realized that if we took the train back on a Tuesday, instead of a Monday, I'd save enough money to stay an extra night at the Hilton in downtown Philly, PA. Tour the city and have fun. We can dress like bums so no one will try to mug us. First trip my son and I have taken together, just us.

Yeah, I've talked about being broke, but have saved up a secret stash. Okay, must try to sleep now. :rockin:

Leadgolem said:
I made good progress today. I got the priming and painting done. installed the flooring. Installed the vanity cabinet, not water hooked up to it yet it's not secured to the cabinet yet. Installed the baseboard behind the toilet. Discovered I was missing a flange bolt. It fell down through the floor at some point. Fortunately there is a space around the sewer line in the basement ceiling drywall, so I was able to find it and run it back up in place. Installed the new medicine cabinet. Not really a new cabinet, it was here when I moved in. The silvering isn't coming off the mirror though, so I'm using it.

I didn't do a great job on the mudding, but it's an old house with wavy walls. It's not horrible. You can see in the pictures that I didn't paint around the light fixture. That's because I have a new light fixture, and I want to paint that section of the wall while nothing is installed.

The tile is vinyl stick down. Honestly though, I think it looks really good. I used an adhesion promoter before sticking them down, hopefully they will stay put. They feel like they will.

I had to stop working. I was starting to screw up. I cut the piece for the other side of the rooms baseboard 45 1/2 instead of 54 1/2. I'm not wasting any more materials because I'm trying to work when I'm to tired.

The priority for tomorrow will be getting the toilet re-installed and getting the sink working. That does mean calking the baseboard before the toilet goes in. It would be a pita to do later. That's also why I installed the baseboard and the vanity cabinet first. I needed to measure for the baseboard, but couldn't until the vanity was in.

Wow LG, that's amazing. Maybe I can redo our bathroom after all. I've been thinking of hiding the money to do it from my wife and then surprising her with a 'new' bathroom when she goes on vacation with her sister this fall.

Wow LG, that's amazing. Maybe I can redo our bathroom after all. I've been thinking of hiding the money to do it from my wife and then surprising her with a 'new' bathroom when she goes on vacation with her sister this fall.

LG great job.

TN, just make sure you have enough time to get it done they are less then thrilled when they come home and the bathroom is torn up. Or it could have been the window in the bathroom missing and just a large hole :D

beaksnbeer said:
LG great job.

TN, just make sure you have enough time to get it done they are less then thrilled when they come home and the bathroom is torn up. Or it could have been the window in the bathroom missing and just a large hole :D

Good point. My wife is pretty well used to being married to a moron at this point. For example, she's been telling me to take all the junk in the basement to the flea market. I've been here for less than 3 hrs and have $300 so far. Guess I should start going to auctions again. This stuff is just leftovers from lots I purchased to sell bigger items that are already sold.

Great work LG - definitely one of the good feelings to see the results of your owl labor like that!

Good point. My wife is pretty well used to being married to a moron at this point. For example, she's been telling me to take all the junk in the basement to the flea market. I've been here for less than 3 hrs and have $300 so far. Guess I should start going to auctions again. This stuff is just leftovers from lots I purchased to sell bigger items that are already sold.

Nice! How's the mullet parade this morning? :)

All mullets, great and small, are well represented here. Actually, no mexi-mullet yet, so I've still got something to look forward to. :D

image-2319865373.jpg

What a great day! Mullets galore, extra beer money for trip to DC and Philly, $20 half bushel of white peaches for sour beers, and rookie league baseball at the only park in the Appy League with beer coming up in a few hours. :D

Back