I Learned at the Competition Today That . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't blame you. I helped steward a comp in '99-'00 (not sure which). my table was judging Hefe's. when they were done they got to judge all the mead categories. the one that won category was a hazelnut mead. there was an amazing apple pie mead I felt stood far above the rest (apple pie flavors, but still a great sweet mead base). the hazelnut IMO tasted only like hazelnut, and way too strong of flavor. but the judges made their decision.

Sounds like you should have practiced on these first.

turkey-and-gravy-jones-soda-7.jpg

BLEH.

I was in a nano one time and the man served me a tarragon lemon Saison. It tasted like chicken.

I'm not too keen on savory beers myself. Which makes the fact that I took 3rd in the Metro Detroit Iron Brewer Comp for a Fenugreek Kolsch that I have nearly 2 cases of that I can't stand drinking. Or even thinking about drinking.

You should put it to use in that sous vide machine of yours.

You could reduce the remining beer and jus into a nice sauce afterwards. Sounds like you should add some asian spices/flavorings - Fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, chili, scallion, fresh ginger(if you think it needs it), garlic, ect. maybe even some chinese five spice??

Could have a nice chicken or shrimp dish on your hands. You could serve it over rice noodles.

BTW, OP im sure it would have been better if they included bull testicles.

A local brewery made a douglas fir beer and a spruce beer. Both tasted like pinesol soaked ass. Too bad, because they usually make some great beer!

Ok, after being negative, here is an example of what I thought was a really good Herb, Spice & Vegetable beer at the competition - a Weissbock with Ancho Chili and Agave Nectar. The weissbock is already bigger and a little sweet, but the agave nectar made it even more sweet - it would have been cloying if the brewer had stopped there. But the ancho chili was just strong enough to balance the sweetness out. It reminded me a lot of spicy Thai food - very sweet and very hot, a combination that can work well together.

Back