i know i should relax but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnyk

Reaction score
i brewed a true brew irish stout kit on jan 22 everything went well, i thought. it was doing its thing for a few days and then the airlock stopped and everything calmed down. so last week i took 3 days worth of hydrometer readings all 1.020 my fg was supposed to be 1.010 - 1.012 i thought it was a bit high but not too worried. i was going to bottle tomorrow and i look over at the carboy and the air lock is now bubbling again and a krausen has formed, damn i was going to bottle.
now my og was 1.044 and the temp was 62 to 64, now yesterday we got a bit of a heat wave here and now the temp is 72 think the temp has anything to do with it?
180186_495899666369_644236369_6541763_3318125_n.jpg

183344_495899741369_644236369_6541764_3529666_n.jpg

It could be two things
1. Heat woke the yeast up and they are finishing the job.
2. The heat could be forcing c02 out of solution.
Either way, like the above poster said, leave it another week.

I'm a total Noob .. but my first beer seemed to be about the same as yours .. so I moved it upstairs and swirled it for about a minute .. within a few hours it was fermenting again .. it got all the way down to it's target FG after that .. it did take a total of one day short of 3 weeks tho .. the waiting is the hardest part :)

tom petty fan?

:D

how can anyone not be ... that guy has endured as a song writer .. he makes all his points with very few words and very simple melodies, yet still when he sings people listen .. he's just a simple genius in my book .. love great song writers of all types ... cheers !!

ok checked the Fg and its now 1.010 should i bottle tomorrow? because i wont be able to bottle again for two weeks which means 6 weeks in the primary?

ok checked the Fg and its now 1.010 should i bottle tomorrow? because i wont be able to bottle again for two weeks which means 6 weeks in the primary?

I'd let it go, unless you had plans for that carboy. Let the yeast clean up after themselves and your patience will be rewarded.

No 6-7 weeks in primary will be fine. There are folks on here who leave it in primary even longer.

6-7 weeks in primary isnt too long then?

No,
I am a noob also, so someone with more experience may correct me , but I believe 1-2-3, or 2-2-3 or what ever formula each person use is more of a minimum for us impatient people. You should be able to leave it in the primary/secondary as long as you like (within reason). I just tasted a Nut Brown that I had sitting in a primary for about 8 weeks. It was much better then the portion I bottled just after 2 weeks.
Good luck,
:fro:

Latest posts

Back