I keep getting lactobacillus in my beer. What can I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I seem to get a sour beer about every month. I bottle harvest commercial beer and store yeast in mason jars then, top crop for the next batch. I can't tell if it starts in my stored yeast or in my fermenting wort. When I found the fermented beer had soured, I opened the stored yeast and smelled it. It smelled GREAT! But, when I tasted it, it was acidic or kind of peroxide tasting as best I can describe it. Although I've never tasted brewers yeast before- which I plan to do once my new starter is ready- but, I figured, better safe than sorry so, I dumped the yeast jars down the sink. Was I wrong? Should it have tasted that way? My wife put a pineapple in my beer fridge and I know fruit attracts bugs. Could this be it? Still, that doesn't account for it happening every month or 2 that I get a soured beer. I use star san instead of boiling the yeast jars for storage but, I really don't know if its contaminated yeast or the fermenter getting contaminated that starts the souring.
Any help as always, is appreciated.
Thanks guys

Why don't you do a brew with some brand new store bought dry or liquid yeast. Then you might determine at least if it's your yeast culturing methods or equipment or possibly something in your post boil processes.

Otherwise deep clean and sanitize. Maybe try a different sanitizer just incase what ever you are using isn't that great for what you might be getting. Are you disassembling everything possible to clean and sanitize, including any spigots, valves and other fittings.

I would replace everything that is plastic or vinyl, buckets, carboys, racking canes, bottling bucket, bottle filler, tubing, etc. If you keg, replace beer line and quick connects. Make sure your valves are clean, maybe replace all o-rings in ball valves, faucets etc. Fruit flies can cause infection, but it would be an acetobacter infection, not a lacto one. It would be more vinegar like. I had one get in a yeast starter and was wondering if I could still use it, and pro brewer in my club said not to risk it as just one fruit fly could infect it.

you might be able to tell what type of bacteria it is by testing the ph...
if the bacteria is making acid like vinegar it should lower the ph i think
if it's lacto bacteria it might not though

increase the gravity or sugar brix level and it makes it harder for the bacteria to grow i think.

also aeration during the fermentation should help decrease the bacteria growing.

Starsan is good, but has limitations w certain organisms. Idophor or similar iodine treatment is good to have around as an alternative when problems are suspected.

Often times grain or milled grain is used to start a lacto sour beer.

So if there is any grain dust getting on/in your fermentation vessel or cold side equipment, that could be your issue.

you might be able to tell what type of bacteria it is by testing the ph...
if the bacteria is making acid like vinegar it should lower the ph i think
if it's lacto bacteria it might not though

lacto is what is used to make your classic kettle sour beer, so it would 100% lower the ph. Nothing wrong with your throwing it out there as a possible approach to help narrow down, but unfortunately testing the ph would not help identify the specific infection if any the op is experiencing.

cheers

Starsan is good, but has limitations w certain organisms. Idophor or similar iodine treatment is good to have around as an alternative when problems are suspected.

↑ This↑

Especially acid tolerant organisms.

Last edited:
Back