I have not sanitized any thing for the last 4 months!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am talking about preconceived notions of what brewing is, and supposed to be. Who learned you how to brew? Is there set rules to this hobby? I was thinking more along the line of , maybe it’s the region I live in, it is well known that some areas has more biological “stuff” in the air.
One other thing I will never forget is the first home I built. We waited a long time for the kitchen granite tops to be installed and we used a untreated wooden top in the meantime, And I could not understand why the bread just did not last in that house? Mould after 2 days, always until the tops came. So does that mean there in the US maybe the timber frame houses play a role?

Another one of these threads. How about you send your beer to a BJCP competition and post independent comments on your beer.
?? wat ever?

*read in Steven Wright's voice* wow. you blew my mind. never again shall I look at brewing the same.

you suppose I should quit boiling too? I mean, really you're just wasting propane.

I cant believe how easy it is to troll this forum..
:smack:

:smack: (damit...the whole "concrete fermenter" all over again :D)And I cant believe how narrow minded people are?
For the record. This is not my usual procedure !!

Fact: tons of threads about "what i have done and not get infected"
Fact: Beer's taste is subjective
Fact: Beer use to be safer then drinking water in the olden days.
Fact: Some sanitizers can lead to even more off flavours.

So it is an experiment, which got me thinking what the heck do other clean freaks do to get there beer infected? Does that mean my unsanitized procedure is even more sanitary then other peoples "sanitized"?? so I continue.

Not trolling, my friend.....searching for knowledge
Hitting a specific styl is one thing, but I am not going to just do something because someone else said so.. (and opinions are like crud rings...every body has one)

*read in Steven Wright's voice* wow. you blew my mind. never again shall I look at brewing the same.

you suppose I should quit boiling too? I mean, really you're just wasting propane.
I would prefer *Morgan Freeman*
Have done that too...:D....well 15min boil

You could use your method for ten years and brew 10,000 batches without infection and you still would not convince 90% of the people here that it works. Just search do I need to secondary.

If it is working for you then forge ahead. If you save an hour or two a batch not sanitizing what is that worth? I don't know about you but my time is getting more valuable not less. If some one told me it would cost me $50 a year (one bad batch) to save 50 hours of cleaning I would pay it. I waste more money than that on stupid gadgets I don't really need.

I say keep the experiment going and have fun with it.

the way I've been brewing for the last 14 years is to dig a big hole in the back yard. I fill it with duck pond water, barley & hops. then I add some compost & let that ferment it. it's been working great!

unrelated note: anyone hear from HessenHelles or Nordeast?

I've had some of this beer. I believe it was called "Just Ducky". I found it to be rich and earthy. Has quite a bit of bite almost like that first wif of a black garbage can in Arizona August heat. It was a true adventure in a glass.:tank:

unrelated note: The medications have finally taken hold and I am able to breath unassisted. I will be attached to machines for the next 13 weeks but I think I have talked them in to attaching a keg to my IV so, its all good. :fro:

I dont see sanitation as that big of a deal. I wash everything in oxyclean but the only stuff I sanitize are the things that come in contact with the wort after the boil. Its really easy pour some water in a bucket let the stuff sit for a while and use it. I dont sanitize my bottles since I keg and when I bottle the beer is never in there for more than a day. Sometimes minutes...
I do take a shower every day, does that count?

i never think me beer is great, ok but not great. My family seem to like it, judging by the amount that goes home with them. That or there lying to me. LOL

This is just completely false.

From How To Brew:

Clean - To be free from dirt, stain, or foreign matter.
Sanitize - To kill/reduce spoiling microorganisms to negligible levels.
Sterilize - To eliminate all forms of life, especially microorganisms, either by chemical or physical means.

Soaps only clean.

Hmmm, I suppose washing ones hands is mostly for cosmetic reasons then. Learn something new everyday.

honestly here, I have dumped multiple (progressively) higher OG worts onto a whole cake with great results & no infections. there are many reasons why this is not a standard practice for me. 1) I don't get to brew often enough 2) we have cats, a dog, and 2 young boys. stuff will sit around and needs to be sanitized before I use it. 3) I hate the ring 4) it's just the way I roll, yo.

Well,my fermenters fart co2 around me all day. so I get'em back once in a while. :drunk: Darn thing stopped bubbling...that'll learn'em! But I do clean & sanitize everything,so no silent but deadlies.

the way I've been brewing for the last 14 years is to dig a big hole in the back yard. I fill it with duck pond water, barley & hops. then I add some compost & let that ferment it. it's been working great!

unrelated note: anyone hear from HessenHelles or Nordeast?

That beer sounds great! I'll have to get some ducks and try it... ;-)

I've had some of this beer. I believe it was called "Just Ducky". I found it to be rich and earthy. Has quite a bit of bite almost like that first wif of a black garbage can in Arizona August heat. It was a true adventure in a glass.:tank:

unrelated note: The medications have finally taken hold and I am able to breath unassisted. I will be attached to machines for the next 13 weeks but I think I have talked them in to attaching a keg to my IV so, its all good. :fro:

troll.jpg

And have been using the same yeast cake over and over for 4 times now!!! (in a plastic bucket. beer out, other one, in)
All just equipment just washed with soap and water.

No infection, just good beer

thoughts?

I'm not drinking your beer........(my thoughts)...........

The OP asked for thoughts, but it is unclear from his post if the thoughts had to be about his cleaning/sanitizing or lack thereof. So, my thoughts:

The lines at the supermarket are way too long! The lines stretch down the aisles and you have five employees building a Tender Vittles end cap. Let's get some checkers up here!!!

I used to have a choice between regular and unleaded fuel. Now, I have three different octane levels of unleaded fuel. Shouldn't we just start calling the unleaded 87 octane regular? Don't get me going on diesel!!!

I've been on this planet for a little over 40 years and have yet to hear a good explanation or apology for Barbara Streisand. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing her and Neil belting out a little You Don't Bring Me Flowers, but, aside from that, I have no use!!!

^

Check out the movie "Prince Of Tides". Streisand directed & co-starred with Nick Nolte.....From the Fall of 1991........ (Yes, I'd hit it) Well, then I would have, she's way too old now.

My mind is spinning after reading all the posts. While I believe what the OP says about the last 5 batches, I don't think it is the "right" thing to do. Considering each batch costs me on average $25 to $35, and it takes me literally 10 minutes to sanitize everything needed to brew, ferment, and keg, it just makes sense to do so. And a little Starsan goes a long way. I have had the same bottle for 3 years now, and it is still more than half full. That was totally worth the $16 I paid for it.

My mind is spinning after reading all the posts. While I believe what the OP says about the last 5 batches, I don't think it is the "right" thing to do. Considering each batch costs me on average $25 to $35, and it takes me literally 10 minutes to sanitize everything needed to brew, ferment, and keg, it just makes sense to do so. And a little Starsan goes a long way. I have had the same bottle for 3 years now, and it is still more than half full. That was totally worth the $16 I paid for it.

Okay, but what are your thoughts on Babs?

i never think me beer is great, ok but not great. My family seem to like it, judging by the amount that goes home with them. That or there lying to me. LOL

I'm with you on that... every one says they like my beer but I think they are lying. I can taste the imperfections and it bugs me.

Anyone Seen Barbarella?? Most effing bizarre pile of crapola (except for some nice skin shots) Mind numbingly bad.

Plus Duran Duran and his "special" organ, how can you go wrong?

I do not know why but "Duran Duran" after reading the stuff before it just about made me fall out of my chair. Have not heard those two words in more years than I want to talk about. Did not even want to talk about it back in the day. :drunk:

Just because you don't get a full-blown infection doesn't mean the wort isn't contaminated. Beginner homebrewers seem to think it's either or, but the level of contamination varies along with the resulting concentrations of off-flavor compounds. It will get progressively worse the more times you repitch contaminated yeast slurry.

It's so easy to sanitize with a spray bottle of star-san that I don't understand why you wouldn't.

DannyD, for the next batch you should tea bag your wort right after you pitch on the fifth generation cake. This will take your beer to the next level!

I didn't see the movie, but I found the book interesting.
And someone should beat Yentil. I would, but it's too far to drive.
And while I'll keep sanitising, your results are interesting.
If anyone needs more outcry, my latest batch is fermenting in a pot with no airlock, just a lid. And it's in the basement with spiders.

Back