I have made beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
So I drank my first ever home brew just now. It is the Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter. It was bottled a week ago today. While it is still not "ready" yet, I felt I needed to try one to see how I did. It is quite drinkable! I did notice that a few more weeks in the bottle will probably be needed to finish carbonating. It was under carbed, but still tasted good. Came in at 5.6ABV. It is a bit hazy, I am guessing that is because it took 90 minutes to cool in an ice bath. I can only imagine what this will taste like in a few weeks to months now! My second brew has been in the primary for about 2 weeks now. Caribou Slobber. I can not wait.
Picked up a 6er of Moose Drool to do the comparison when the Slobber is ready. I have wanted to get into this hobby now for a while, as a few friends do it. What can I say, I have the bug. I want to get into all grain. I am curious what you all recommend for equipment to start collecting now that I want to go a little above extract brewing now.:mug:

Congrats on your first two batches!

As far as all grain equipment goes what kind of budget are you planning?

I am not too sure on a budget. I figure I want equipment that I will not out grow quickly. I also do not feel that I need shiny Blingman products either, well, maybe a Blingman Kettle. Maybe $500-$1000. I will just start acquiring stuff piece by piece. I guess I will start with a new kettle. Then a mash tun. So on and so forth. Just curious what you all recommend. Thanks again, and Cheers!

That's a pretty decent budget. If you have some basic DIY skills you can build most of your equipment

If you don't already have one a wort chiller would probably be number one on the list. A 50' 1/2" diameter one cost around $100. You can make one yourself as well. Plenty of threads on here of people showing how to.

If you go with a large boil kettle 10 gallons or more you won't be able to use your stove so you'll need a propane burner. Check Amazon for Bayou Classics. There is a review on different burners here on HBT, if I can find it I'll send you the link. You should be able to find a good one for $50-100

A round 10 gallon cooler you can convert to your mash tun for under $100. It's very simple 40 dollar cooler, $25-30 false bottom, SS ball valve and bulkhead fitting $30

If you can get your hands on a 15.5 gallon keg (half barrel) you could convert that to a boil kettle. There are vendors on this sight that sell what you need to do this, ie SS ballvalve, sight gllass, thermometer if you want. Depending on how much you pay for the keg the parts are around $50

A grain crusher is a nice asset to your brewery. You can have the LHBS crush your grain for you but eventually you'll probably want your own. $130

A refractometer is also very handy. Only need a few drops or wort to test SG. $30-40

You can also forgo the mash tun if you do the Brew in a Bag method (BIAB). The grains mashed in a big bag right in the boil kettle. Lot of threads on that here. I'll find some links and send you.

Those dollar values are an estimate but pretty close. Definitely shop around on the hardware. Some of the vendors right here on HBT have great deals.

I'd suggest you start with the cheap end and then decide if you want to keep on with all grain. There's a sticky thread on here about BIAB brewing that is an easy way to get into all grain and learn the process while not spending a ton of money.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

In fact, I think I only have about $100 invested and can make 5 gallon batches. I wasn't so sure I wanted to keep on with all grain when I started so a smaller investment seemed like a good idea. Now I'm perhaps 20 batches into all grain and I still like the system as from reading other stories it seems like I spend less time for the same product. All the advantages of all grain with less time and less dollars seems like something for me.

My equipment consists of a Corona style grain mill (no LHBS to mill my grain), a turkey fryer, and a paint strainer got me going. I've added to that for my convenience. A better thermometer was first, then a pH meter, but I could be still making good beer without them.

Back