I have 10lbs of honey. Simple recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
A guy at work does some beekeeping and is selling me 10lbs on the cheap.

Looking for a super simple, tasty recipe that can be done in 4-8 weeks. Preferably one that doesn't require me to go buy tons of ingredients. Is 10lbs honey enough for a 5 gallon batch?

10 lbs is enough to make a 5 gallon batch. Your ABV just isn't going to be as high. I started a 10 lb batch a couple of weeks ago and my starting gravity was 1.082. If this ferments to 1.000, that would give an abv of 10.75%.

A 4-8 week turnaround is possible, but generally speaking, not very simple. A fast ferment that does not produce lots of off flavors is going to require lots of attention and a fair bit of work. Using 10 lbs of honey and a clean fermenting yeast with a high alcohol tolerance will help, but one of the best things to ensure a tasty mead is patience. Using even less than 10 lbs will decrease fermentation times even more, but leave even less honey flavor.
Also, nutrients are always a good idea for mead. As many people state, honey is very low in the nutrients yeast needs to be healthy. It can be done without them, but it's not recommended.
I would suggest using your 10 lbs, yeast nutrient according to manufacturer's instructions, and a white wine yeast like K1-V1116, Cote des Blancs, or Premier Blanc, and patience.

I was gonna say about 3.5 gallons if you wanted stronger. Or perhaps 5 gallons if you wanted a melomel for some extra fermentables.

If you want that quick of a turn around, you need to look at Bray's One Month Mead (BOMM)

I'd make a cyzer using apple cider instead of water. No step feeding needed!

Latest posts

Back