I got caterpillars on my hallertauer hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
Noticed teeny tiny ones the other day, hand picked and destroyed .today i go out to inspect and fill the water barrel and I see a few (3) cones on only the hallertauer hops are brown and dry. Noticed a black thing sticking out and its more of those caterpillars, but a little bit bigger. Again, i hand picked and destroyed them. Black with a thin golden yellow stripe on each side. Any idea what they are? I think its too close to harvest to apply any pesticides .

If i see any more ill make sure i get a picture of it before I go on the killing spree

a lot of my leaves have holes chewed in them, but i've yet to see whats doing it.
I found one large tomato 'piller in june and that was it.
I even check at night and dig around looking for buggers.
Then I spray with insecticidal soap as high as I can get for the no-seeums after the sun goes down

I do have a lot of ants exploring them though so wondering if they are helping.
I don't see signs of mites on the leaves though.

I picked off 2 more on Thursday . velvety black/gray with the golden yellow line on the side. I took a picture but its too dark because I had to be so close . They like to stick their heads up in the cones ...as if theyre after the lupulin galnds themselves. Easy to spot because the affected cone is dead and brown while the rest are bright green. I pick the entire cone and destroy it.

Might be Yellow-striped Armyworms? They do eat about anything green and they do live in Eastern U.S.
Here is a link to some pictures and how to treat for them.

Latest posts

Back