I Got Bored and Made a Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphy111

Reaction score
So here it is. Thoughts?

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Estimated SRM: 24
Estimated IBU: 28
Estimated OG: 1.063
Estimated FG: 1.015-1.020

Mash: 150 F for 1 hour;

4.5lb American 2-row
4.5lb Honey Malt
1.5lb Crystal 30
.5lb Special B

Hops:
60 min: Cluster, 1oz
30 min: Simcoe, .5oz
5 min: Simcoe, .5oz

Yeast: Danstar Windsor, or something else with a relatively low attenuation.

The goal is for a malty, caramelly beer that's balanced with a moderate bitterness. Also looking for some pine/earthy/herbal notes from the hops. Any speculative thoughts on how this could turn out? Possible improvements?

Why so much honey malt? Use Vienna or light Munich instead and I think you have a winner.

I've never used honey malt, but everything I've read about it says is it can be over powering.

From Northern Brewer describing their Honey Malt. Usage percentages are towards the end of the reading

Honey Malt is a unique malt produced by the Gambrinus Malting Corporation, a small malting company in Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada. It is made using a special process that develops distinctive flavors. The unique process puts Honey malt in the same family as German ‘brumalt’, and melanoidin malt. The result is an intense malt sweetness free from roasted or astringent flavors, with a characteristic honey-like flavor and golden color. It really doesn’t compare to any other malt. It’s unique qualities and sweet maltiness make it a perfect specialty malt in many styles. It can be used for up to 10% of the grist but the flavor can become assertive at higher usage rates. 20-30°L

I agree. With that much honey malt, you won't get any balance or pine/earthy notes. You will get honey and it'll probably be undrinkable

This is why I test recipes here! I've never worked with honey malt, I didn't realize it was a specialty malt. So... Cut Honey Malt to 1 lb, increase 2-row to 8 lb?

I'm looking for a deep reddish color. If I cut the crystals too much, the color will lighten up to a point where I don't want it to be. Maybe cut those then add in 1/2% chocolate malt to get the color back?

.5 lb Special B
.75 lb Crystal 30
1 oz Chocolate

That brings the color to 25 SRM, right in the range I'm looking for.

Back