i froze my my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetchicken6

Reaction score
I put my keg in the fridge for a week to carbonate and it got to cold and froze. I then trook it out of the fridge to thaw for an hour and then i noticed the relief on the keg is leaking. Should i get a new keg and transfer the beer and then recarbonate it or is this batch hopeless.

How bad is the relief valve leaking? I've had some issues with that and a bit of keg lub takes care of it. If you can't get it to stop leaking, try swapping out the lids with a spare (if you have one on hand). I wouldn't worry about it at all. We have all had things like this happen and the beer almost always turns out great.

I say relax. Just get a new valve, or wrap it in teflon tape while the beer is cold enough not to release more co2. Worse comes to worse, you just have to recarb it. If you have another keg to do a keg-to-keg transfer, I suppose you could, to try to limit the loss of co2. But you'll probably have enough of a co2 blanket to prevent oxidation it you need to replace either the lid or valve. (you just have may have to add more sugar/co2 to recarb)
I've had one beer carbed, decarb due to a transfer, recarb, freeze, decarb due to me being stupid, recarb, decarb again due to my accidental connection, and finally recarb and yet it's still pretty good.
And that was the least recarbed of my set of 3. Sad, eh?

After all my problems I've been having, I finally tasted my beer. The taste was not exctly what I was looking for. It had a very strong alchohol taste to it. After my readings, I figured my beer would be around 6%, but the taste is alot mor intense. I am wondering if the freeze seperated the beer from the alcohol and that is why i am getting such a strong taste. Also I had carbonated at 12#s and had a ton of foam, what attributes to this? Can overcarbonation also give it a strong alchohol taste.

wetchicken6 said:
After all my problems I've been having, I finally tasted my beer. The taste was not exctly what I was looking for. It had a very strong alchohol taste to it. After my readings, I figured my beer would be around 6%, but the taste is alot mor intense. I am wondering if the freeze seperated the beer from the alcohol and that is why i am getting such a strong taste. Also I had carbonated at 12#s and had a ton of foam, what attributes to this? Can overcarbonation also give it a strong alchohol taste.

I froze a batch in a keg a couple times while trying to figure out the right temp on my kegerator. Had the same issue with the beer being "strong". I think when it freezes a lot of the water stays on top of the sugars, creating a beer concentrate on the bottom. I believe that they call that type of beer, Eisbier. (I think that's the correct spelling) I would force carb by increasing pressure to 30 or 40 psi and shaking vigorously. Then let it settle out overnight.

I froze a batch in a keg a couple times while trying to figure out the right temp on my kegerator. Had the same issue with the beer being "strong". I think when it freezes a lot of the water stays on top of the sugars, creating a beer concentrate on the bottom. I believe that they call that type of beer, Eisbier. (I think that's the correct spelling)

Bingo! I'm not quite sure how you would get everything to mix together again after it has separated though.

It could've been worse though!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/where-dunce-cap-i-need-217680/
(I like how the URL is shortened to "Where Dunce Cap I need." I definitely felt that stupid!)

I completely froze my last keg of Hefeweizen, which had probably 4 full gallons in it at the time. I had "temporarily" pulled out my temperature probe on my temp controller from the chest freezer I keep kegs in, and forgot to put it back. Realized the mistake 36 hours later.

I let the Hefe thaw, observed that there were no obvious keg leaks, chilled it again, and drank the piss outa that beer. It was identical to how it tasted pre-freeze.

Back