I forgot to add the candi syrup!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanchmd

Reaction score
I don't know what I was thinking, but in my Belgian Chimay clonish beer, I just forgot to add it. I chalked up the lower OG to a difficult mash equating to poor efficiency and just went ahead and fermented it, cold crashed, and now I realize I forgot the candi syrup. This is such a fantastic beer when done right after you let it age for a year or so in the bottle. I hate bottling and only do it for beers I will age. Debating whether to just bulk age it for a bit and keg it down the road and brew my clone again without the screw up. I doubt that there is enough yeast in suspension to burn through a lb of candi syrup if I added it now after cold crashing, thoughts? Any other ideas?

I don't know what I was thinking, but in my Belgian Chimay clonish beer, I just forgot to add it. I chalked up the lower OG to a difficult mash equating to poor efficiency and just went ahead and fermented it, cold crashed, and now I realize I forgot the candi syrup. This is such a fantastic beer when done right after you let it age for a year or so in the bottle. I hate bottling and only do it for beers I will age. Debating whether to just bulk age it for a bit and keg it down the road and brew my clone again without the screw up. I doubt that there is enough yeast in suspension to burn through a lb of candi syrup if I added it now after cold crashing, thoughts? Any other ideas?

Keep in mind that without the candi syrup, it will most likely be a nice brew. If it were me, I'd package the batch and just use the syrup on the next batch.

I hear ya, I'm sure it will be good, I just doubt it will be my annual Chimay quality and so I don't know I want to invest all that time in bottling and aging.

I hear ya, I'm sure it will be good, I just doubt it will be my annual Chimay quality and so I don't know I want to invest all that time in bottling and aging.

It's certainly possible that you could warm the beer, add the syrup, maybe pitch more yeast and have it turn out great. I've never tried that, maybe someone else can chime in.

Brulosophy did some xbmts on adding sugar at different points, perhaps there is something for you there? If you add it now the yeast will ferment it and make it stronger. Not convinced i see any harm in this.

How much sugar are we talking about here, and what was the intended OG / actual OG ?

Is this a Chimay Blue clone ? If it is, we are talking about OG 1.080 and 15% sugar.
Without the sugar it should be around 1.070 . That would still make an 8% beer instead of 9%.

The difference is you don't get the chocolate and raisins flavor form the candi syryp (D180 or D90 ?)
Also, a beer fermented WITH the sugar will be dryer. What was you FG ? A Chimay Blue should end at 1.008 to 1.010 . If your FG is higher, you get a heavier mouthfeel but still a very good beer.

I would leave it be. Bottle and enjoy it.
I bet you will still like the beer and have a story to tell.

Risking to spoil a beer now with re-fermentation is no go for me.
Cheers

How much sugar are we talking about here, and what was the intended OG / actual OG ?

Is this a Chimay Blue clone ? If it is, we are talking about OG 1.080 and 15% sugar.
Without the sugar it should be around 1.070 . That would still make an 8% beer instead of 9%.

The difference is you don't get the chocolate and raisins flavor form the candi syryp (D180 or D90 ?)
Also, a beer fermented WITH the sugar will be dryer. What was you FG ? A Chimay Blue should end at 1.008 to 1.010 . If your FG is higher, you get a heavier mouthfeel but still a very good beer.

I would leave it be. Bottle and enjoy it.
I bet you will still like the beer and have a story to tell.

Risking to spoil a beer now with re-fermentation is no go for me.
Cheers

Yep it's Chimay Blue, my og was 1.070 and it's at 1.008 now. I think I'm actually going to keg it, give it a month and then start drinking it, brew another without the screw up for bottling. I forgot to mention I cold crashed this beer with some gelatin as well, another impediment to more fermentation. The samples taste great, it won't be my Chimay Blue but it will be good I'm sure! Thanks all

Back