I finally Did it, I Bought a Mac...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yessur i did. Brought her home yesterday. Picked up an IMac. Impressed so far, but I am currently on hold with Apple as I type due to a few issues that I can't figure out. Wish me Luck!!!

On another note, how the heck should I go about uploading my Beer Smith software onto my Mac?

is beer smith mac compatible?

Welcome to the world of real computers! It takes a little getting used to when you have been using pc's for a while but it is much better and worth it once you've got it.

Have fun!

zero said:
is beer smith mac compatible?

Macs are PCs, just like computers running GNU/Linux and Windows.

Most Windows applications run on GNU/Linux and Mac using Wine or Darwine. Both projects use the same source base, so I'd assume BeerSmith runs fine on Mac since it works on GNU/Linux.

RLinNH said:
On another note, how the heck should I go about uploading my Beer Smith software onto my Mac?

Beer Smith won't run on a mac natively. Your options include running a virtual machine, running an emulator or running something other than beer smith. Beer Smith can run under wine on linux.. but not everything works.

To my knowledge there aren't a lot of beer apps that will run on a mac. Strange Brew Java is probably the most feature rich https://sourceforge.net/projects/strangebrew/ . A new release should be out in a month or two that addresses a number of bugs and has a bunch of new features... most of that available out of the current cvs repository.

Beer alchemy and Beertools pro are designes to run natively on Mac os X (10.3 and higher I believe)

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just keep using my Dell Lap Top to run my Beer Smith Program until the new Strange Brew Software hits the market.:mug:

Don't forget about Boot Camp...

Conga Rats on the new Mac. You're going to love it, and all your PC using friends are going to call you smug now. Laugh it off and try not to snicker in their face when they complain about:
-virus
-spyware
-driver
-the latest MS "feature" (bug) that doesn't get an update for 6 months
-Internet Explorer problems

Next, take it all in stride when they:
-brag about the latest PC game. (You do have a console, right?)
ummm, that's about it for PC bragging.

Happy MacBook owner here,
Matt

ma2brew said:
Don't forget about Boot Camp...

Conga Rats on the new Mac. You're going to love it, and all your PC using friends are going to call you smug now. Laugh it off and try not to snicker in their face when they complain about:
-virus
-spyware
-driver
-the latest MS "feature" (bug) that doesn't get an update for 6 months
-Internet Explorer problems

Next, take it all in stride when they:
-brag about the latest PC game. (You do have a console, right?)
ummm, that's about it for PC bragging.

Happy MacBook owner here,
Matt

PS3 owner here. If I don't beat Russurection, Fall of Man in the next week, I just ight have to throw the PS3 into a Snow Bank though...:D

Feel free to consult me on anything Mac related, I have been using Macs since 1984, I have been an Apple Authorised Service Technician, managed and Applecentre, and currently have my own IT Consulting business for Macintoshes. ;)

I have 2 X iMac G4 17" (the lamp style ones), 1 Mac Mini, 1 G5 tower (serving music and movies in my house) 1 X G5 imac 20" and a Macbook Pro.

Yes, It's a bit of an addiction with me...

PeteOz77 said:
Feel free to consult me on anything Mac related, I have been using Macs since 1984, I have been an Apple Authorised Service Technician, managed and Applecentre, and currently have my own IT Consulting business for Macintoshes. ;)

I have 2 X iMac G4 17" (the lamp style ones), 1 Mac Mini, 1 G5 tower (serving music and movies in my house) 1 X G5 imac 20" and a Macbook Pro.

Yes, It's a bit of an addiction with me...

Here's one for ya. Why doesn't my Safari take up the whole screen? I have a 20 inch Monitor on my IMac, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make my Internet browser fit into the whole screen. It took up the whole screen once by itself when I went to Cigar Family's home page, but that was the only time. Right now Safari only takes up about 60% of the available screen size.

So if you grab the bottom right hand corner of the safari window and drag it out to expand to full screen, the window won't expand to full screen, or the window isn't filled?

PeteOz77 said:
So if you grab the bottom right hand corner of the safari window and drag it out to expand to full screen, the window won't expand to full screen, or the window isn't filled?

Ohhhhhhh would ya look at that...:eek:

I finally broke down and did it too...I bought a Macbook Air. This is my first Mac, so I'm anxious about it but also pretty excited. I'm worried about how I'm going to manage an entirely new OS after using Windows all my life. But, I got a good deal on this and I needed a new laptop. I'm really excited about the size--I travel so much and lugging around a huge laptop and laptop case is getting old. This will be SO awesome.

Now I need to re-purchase Beertools Pro for a mac!

I have used both PC's and Apples for many years. Anyone who evangelizes either is a twit.

The reason why PC's get a bad rap on security, is all the people out to bring Microsloth down. Many more people are working on how to expose security risks in Windows and IE. BTW, watch out using Safari... huge security issues: not a Mac bash either, seriously.

I am not a fan of Windows, as it lacks big time. However, so does Leopard. Cut the cutesy interface and let me do things to the OS. I want Windows functionality and customization on a stable OS.. Apple's OS is more stable, just too friggen' cutesy. If you only knew how much video and system RAM the Mac "telletubby" interface took up you'd be pissed. Why Microsloth had to follow suit with a memory hog interface like Vista is beyond me.

One thing that does bother me is that Mac's were touted as "faster than Intel", until they realized that Intel chips walloped Motorola. Now, Mac's running Intel chips really ARE fast. Total BS before.

Choose a machine, love it, hate it, but don't make it your lifestyle. Just be thankful you have a choice.

Off my soapbox...

Say goodbye to right clicking FOREVER. I love how simple macs are to use. I did go with firefox instead of safari because it was starting to slow down. Other than that its been 3 years with no problems at all.

Yeah, when I want to copy a picture, web address, I have to use two buttons instead of one. There's a reason i program my trackball to do 6 different things. It's much faster than scrolling up to the menu bar, clicking on 'edit', scrolling down to 'copy' then clicking on it.

i'd rather right click and then select 'copy'

And in a few weeks I'm switching to mac. I can't wait to loose functionality like right click. But hey, I'll be a member of the cult then!

B

just go into options and turn on the two finger option. If you have two fingers on the pad it is then the right click. The two finger scroll should be on every single laptop, awesome option.

I <3 the 2 finger scroll and 2-finger "right click."

I can attest to the quality of Beer Alchemy. I'm the queen of trying to find pirated software, but happily forked over the $30 for the license on this program. It works seamlessly, looks nice, and is easy to use.

After you get used to it a little, look into making separate spaces for your mail, calendar, itunes, and internet browser windows. You'll also learn to love the command+space search feature. It actually works. :rofl:

Slightly off topic

Anyone else surprised that they decided to omit the firewire port from
the Macbook. And to include ONLY a firewire 800 port on the Pro?

Also the screens and trackpads (with no button mind you) are glass
and single-body housing.

You drop or damage that laptop and you'll be buying another one
instead of getting it repaired.

I am not a fan of Windows, as it lacks big time. However, so does Leopard. Cut the cutesy interface and let me do things to the OS. I want Windows functionality and customization on a stable OS.. Apple's OS is more stable, just too friggen' cutesy...

I think one of the reasons that the Mac OS is so stable is that it doesn't let you "do things to the OS". I work in the IT world on Windows boxes all day long. I have a Mac at home and laptop because when I want to use a computer for personal use, I don't want to have to 'do things to the OS' or mess with it. They are stable, do what I want, and I dont have to worry about it not working.

Say goodbye to right clicking FOREVER. I love how simple macs are to use.

This is optional of course. It sounds like you are happy that you dont have the right click, but if you want right click you can setup your mouse to have a right button.

Yeah the mighty mouse is great, looks like a single click mouse but you can change it to do the right click. I use right click a lot and it is easier to just have the mouse configured that way than to ctrl-click all the time.

Welcome to the world of Mac's! Like Pete I too am an ACMT so any questions you have let us know. I am sure we can answer them for you with a lot less hold time!

I think one of the reasons that the Mac OS is so stable is that it doesn't let you "do things to the OS". I work in the IT world on Windows boxes all day long. I have a Mac at home and laptop because when I want to use a computer for personal use, I don't want to have to 'do things to the OS' or mess with it. They are stable, do what I want, and I dont have to worry about it not working.

Oh and I so agree with this. The last thing I want to do after fixing computers all day is to go home and fix mine. There is something to be said about a stable platform that just works.

Back