I fell into running boil kettle (photos)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man your making me cringe just thinking about it! Thanks for posting the warning. Its something we should all keep in mind.
Get well soon!!

Don

Please serve your beer like this...

beerarm.jpg

¿Te huele a quemado? lager - Do you smell something burning? Lager
lager sola puño - Single Fist Lager

Get better soon!

The worst part is, all that suffering over a stinking Mexican Lager! We don't need no stinking Mexican lagers! ;)

Hope you heal up quick and can get back to brewing some (ahem) ales. :D

Yikes! That is right up there in the "worst brewing injury" category for sure. Hope your recovery goes well.

And, in the spirit of making light of horrible injuries......

"I don't always burn myself while brewing..... but, when I do, I burn an entire limb."
-Stay out of boiling wort my friend.

Yeesh that looks awful! Glad it wasn't worse! Burns are absolutely horrid.

As for the name... Piso mojado, and you can integrate a wet floor sign into the label (if that's something you do)

Damn, that is brutal. All I can say is get better.
My nonslips from working in a restaurant are trashed, and I've been putting off getting a new pair. I slip once or twice every brew day, but luckily never near the kettle. This just seals the deal. Ordering a new pair before my next brew.

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

That looks horrible man. Definitely a cautionary tale for us all. Hope the healing goes quickly.

On the plus side, with a story like this you could open a brewery with a bang.

Piso mojado,

Piso mojado - love it! When I was in school in the early 90s, some dudes I knew used to greet each other with some kind of ritualistic-looking secret handshake and say "Piso mojado, brother" and "Piso mojado to you as well." There were always dummies around who would see that and be all "ooh, you're so spiritual! Tell me more!"

I have burned myself on 300 plus degree heating elements, but nowhere near that bad. Sorry to see this and hope the beer is excellent!

I second "Second Degree Lager"! Has a nice ring! I've had a second degree burn before, but nothing like that! I'll drink a homebrew in your honor tonight!

I have to admit this reminded me of a super-hero origin story. "Mild mannered home brewer falls into boiling malt and hops and emerges . . . Wort-Man!"

Only amusing because you're healing. Get better!

And I also like "Second Degree Lager"!

Holy *+=#%!!!! Dude! That's sick! I got a similar hand burn as a teen blowing my hand up with gun powder. Blisters the length of my fingers. All I can say is ice water bath and drink heavily! Good luck with that bro!

Banana Boat makes a burn relief cream with aloe and lidocaine that really helps with burns. I've never had a burn as bad as you have, but, I've had some pretty bad ones and this stuff really works well. It's called Soothe-a-caine and they sell it in a spray bottle so you don't have to touch your skin. Keep it in the fridge so it's nice and cold when you need it. There's a few other similar products at Walgreens and CVS but I've never used them. Taking a vitamin D supplement is a good idea too.

Hope that helps!

DAMN that sucks, hope you are well soon. "Piso Mojado" was by far the best idea, you should even do a yellow label on the bottle with the little stick figure guy slipping.

DAMN that sucks, hope you are well soon. "Piso Mojado" was by far the best idea, you should even do a yellow label on the bottle with the little stick figure guy slipping, into a boiling keggle.
Ftfy

Try egg whites on the burns. It helps my wife's minor burns. Well yours are a bit extreme. Do what the doc says.
Brew on.

Just want to say thanks to all for the well wishes and the genius brew names. I love them all. Wish I could go through and like all the posts, but that's a bit too much work for my good hand. I'm an outpatient now at a burn clinic, they say I'm doing pretty well and probably won't need skin grafting or any of that, and that I'll probably be able to get back to brewing in a few weeks. Needless to say I'll be paying a bit more attention to wet floor (piso mojado!) safety around the boil. I'm a pretty careful guy, but this is not something I ever lent much of a thought to before all this happened. I hope this does serve as a cautionary tale to my fellow brewers.

Just saw this thread from a link in another topic. Wow.

Been there, done that. When I was 19, I worked at this restaurant where I was the fry cook one night. I had to empty the oil vat during cleanup. I slipped on the floor and dumped almost 8 gallons of hot fry oil down my legs and into my shoes (typical Sebagos style shoes), I don't know how hot the oil was, but I'm sure it was way north of 212. I had huge second degree blisters on my feet. Those pics of your hand jogged those painful memories. I feel for you and hope you have a speedy (and painless) recovery.

Oh, how about "Long Arm of the Lager"? Seems all the good names were taken.

Forgive the short post, I can only type with one hand. Brewing a Mexican lager, 10 gal, 3 days ago. Walking past the full rolling boil, slipped on wet garage floor and landed left arm fully submerged up to elbow. I've never experienced pain like this. Docs say it's under control, but I think I'll be in a lot of pain for a long time. Lager is turning out great though. Hit my numbers. Buddy finished the session up after I left for ER.

juzem5L.jpg

Px8ahoa.jpg

ps1QbRR.jpg

wIshvNM.jpg

zJs2PKk.jpg

UWluvWU.jpg
Looks like my lower left leg did, starting last February with this weird, weeping leg infection complicated by old, deep blood clots in my left thigh. I definitely feel your pain. It's a ***** having a leg or arm wrapped in that damn cast padding wrap with an ace bandage on top of that in warm weather. Those blisters pop & then stick to the bloody mummy wrappings. Gee, that's fun ripping them off to change'em!...not.

I burned 80% of both hands trying to stop a refrigerant leak. It just took a second. The next day it looked like I had white puffy gloves on..... It will heal for the most part in two weeks, but don't let it get infected and don't let the bandages get dry and stick to the damaged skin, because it will rip the new skin off with the bandage.

The type of dressing is called a "wet to dry dressing" so it never drys out. The hospital should have told you how to pack this wound? Try to never take skin or damaged skin (blisters) off with the bandage. Those blisters and the fluid produced under them is helping you heal.

Wow! Good luck on your recovery! That looks awful.

Boiling that much liquid is dangerous. This is why everyone should be doing "no boil" brews. It's a far safer alternative, and you can still make great beer. This thread is proof that boiling can kill you.

Does this argument sound stupid? Yep! So does all the "only use plastic carboys" arguments. :ban:

Back