I fell into running boil kettle (photos)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

behindthetimes

Reaction score
Forgive the short post, I can only type with one hand. Brewing a Mexican lager, 10 gal, 3 days ago. Walking past the full rolling boil, slipped on wet garage floor and landed left arm fully submerged up to elbow. I've never experienced pain like this. Docs say it's under control, but I think I'll be in a lot of pain for a long time. Lager is turning out great though. Hit my numbers. Buddy finished the session up after I left for ER.

juzem5L.jpg

Px8ahoa.jpg

ps1QbRR.jpg

wIshvNM.jpg

zJs2PKk.jpg

UWluvWU.jpg

Usually its just blood, sweat, and tears, now you really put some skin in the game.

sorry to hear about your arm, now I really need to put the no-slip (textured) paint on my garage floor.

OMG!!! I don't have much to add seeing your injuries, except it could have been much worse, thinking about it.

Get well soon, and with full recovery!

Dude!!!! Hope you are better soon, but that might be the best beer you ever brewed. Mexican One Arm Lager...

Naming contest?

cerveza brazo izquierdo (with apologies to the OP and actual Spanish speakers... That came from google translate.)

Get well man. :(

Thanks all for the well wishes. Let the naming contest begin. I'm not feeling particularly clever at the moment so I need a good name. Oh I also broke my foot somehow while I was burning my arm, so that was fun. Hardly seems to matter... A beer got brewed so on balance it was a good day.
l1CVcRq

There are few things in this world I hate more than burns of any kind. I am so sorry to hear about this and am cringing for you man. I can't even imagine what that had to feel like.

As for the name, I mean its all encompassing but if you ever want to open up shop you can call yourself "The Broken Brewer"?

As for this beer, how about "AYE! DIOS MIO!"

Probably name it "Brazo de Plata" (Silver arm)

There were a trio of Mexican fighters named "Los Brazos" (The arms), the left handed one was dubbed "Brazo de Plata", the right handed one was "Brazo de Oro" (Golden arm)

Hope you're doing better!

hqdefault.jpg

It's a good reminder to be careful out there and don't get too drunk while brewing..(which I can be really guilty of... not saying this was the case here). Get well soon.

2035483.jpg

Holy crap, this is almost as bad as some of those radically gruesome carboy injuries. Yikes! :eek:

A mega-excuse for stepping up your annual brewing volume to the max (and then some ;)): amortizing all the deductibles and co-pays.

Get better soon...

Well, I told my wife about this. She said "Oh, too bad. I hope the beer isn't ruined!"
I fractured my shoulder this spring. Called my next APA "Fugitive Pale Ale" because the One Armed Man did it. I stuck a knife through 1.5 fingers (side to side) last year. You still win. I can pick up a five gallon batch in the kettle by running a rope through the handles and lifting with one arm. Just in case you don't use pumps.
Feel better. Don't mix meds, but use strong liquor as needed.

2tfm_zps779d22f2.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

How about Boiled Alive ...

I feel for ya! Take care of it dude, we dont want to see any "Is this Infected?" Pictures/threads on this.

I can only imagine how painful that was/is. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, or at least pain reducing to a tolerable level soon. Hopefully they gave you some decent pain killers!

This is often on the back of my mind when brewing. That's a lot of hot liquid that could very seriously injure me or others. I won't even plug the kettle in until my kids are in bed. And I never crack a beer until I am chilling wort, as a celebration.

Get well soon fellow brewer!

Skinny Dip Lager
Last Dunk
Bare Arms
ARMistice
Summer Simmer
!Hace Calor!

Hope you have a quick recovery buddy!

Those are some gnarly burns!
Too bad Left Hand Brewery is already taken. Get well!

Working around boiling water is always a serious danger. About two years ago, I had the outflow tube on my immersion chiller kink and pop off shortly after starting the flow of water. It sprayed on my thigh and waist (inches away from being a LOT worse, fellow men). Compared to your accident, I got off VERY lightly, but I still have some scars to show for it.
Learning safety the hard way is never fun. I'm glad you posted about your accident, it might help some fellow brewers think harder about keeping their brew areas safer.

Back