I fell into running boil kettle (photos)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ Please don't change the subject here to suit some unrelated agenda of yours. Start a new thread, or post in a related one.

Oh, no agenda. I'm just fooling around. Plus, I posted a Dancing Banana. That's HBT's equivalent of Diplomatic Immunity. It's cool. I promise.

Now that I'm thinking on this, perhaps you may have overlooked the Dancing Banana. Maybe the sun's glare on your poolside seating could have obscured the amusing humanoid fruit from your vision. If that's the case, then I truly apologize, and I will try to find a more visible way to deliver sarcasm/humor.

Thank you for your guidance. My eyes are now open.

Edit: :ban:

Crap! I just brewed last weekend wearing crocs and almost fell on my butt when I hit a wet spot. You have made me reconsider the consequences of doing that next to my boiling pot!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to change the shoes I wear and maybe put down a no skid mat. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Holy Hell! Glad to hear you're on the mend, and I will definitely be more careful around my boil kettle...

If I were to guess, I'd say the subcutaneous layer of the skin and subdural layer was not destroyed. I'd guess that skin could regenerate. That burn is bad but I think it's a first degree. Don't get me wrong many of the 7 layers of skin were damaged and I'm sure it's as painful as it gets.

What makes it worse is wort is not boiling water, it is boiling sugar water and that STICKS and keeps on burning...

Best first aid is ice cold water as long as you can handle it, cool it off or the skin keeps destroying itself... I laid a knuckle on the edge of a stainless pot last night, measured temp was 350 degrees. I can barely see the spot today because I froze it immediately with a shot from an upside down air duster can...

I can barely see the spot today because I froze it immediately with a shot from an upside down air duster can...

I can't tell if that's brilliant or idiotic! Haha
What I can tell you is that my inner pyro wants to test it out...

What makes it worse is wort is not boiling water, it is boiling sugar water and that STICKS and keeps on burning...

Best first aid is ice cold water as long as you can handle it, cool it off or the skin keeps destroying itself... I laid a knuckle on the edge of a stainless pot last night, measured temp was 350 degrees. I can barely see the spot today because I froze it immediately with a shot from an upside down air duster can...

That is around the temp of the sealing heads on the packing machine at work. I have slipped while wiping them down or what not and hit them and I run cold wate or grab an ice pack from my lunch. His burns needed more than an ice pack....to put that arm in an ice bath would have felt just as great as the burn.

This is actually useful info if this happens to anyone, so I'll share it: I did hit it with cold water right afterwards up until I hightailed it to the ER. Kept it under the sink for about 5 minutes. I can't prove it but I think it probably helped a little bit in the long run but not much. At the ER, the hospital staff didn't quite know exactly what to do either, so they called a burn center. Their advice was to wrap my arm and hand up in a towel and keep my arm/hand/towel under cool running water (not cold) for an hour. So that's what we did right there at the ER. Even on an IV drip of Dilaudid and Ativan, that was the one thing that gave me more relief than anything, including the drugs. For whatever reason, it was preferable to either cold water, or direct water contact. Healing is going pretty well so far. I think I have another couple weeks of having a mummy arm. My friends are loving the beer name ideas.

With a burn the skin destruction can continue for up to 30 minutes after for really bad ones. That is why the cool/cold water. Faster you cool it the less the deep tissue damage.

Let's see new pics? You healing up?
Thanks for asking, yes I'm starting to heal up a bit. At this pace I think it's gonna be about 2 more weeks to heal, with at least half of that time continuing to be bandaged up. It's still painful enough to be rotating through pain meds, but they do work, which is a good thing, because the docs told me that I need to be moving and stretching my arm and hand before it starts to heal. I wouldn't be able to do that if I didn't have the pain under control. It's also starting to itch something fierce. Recent pics of arm, hand and side (I don't think I mentioned that I burned my left side too, about the size of my hand).

Qpkjyty.jpg

W8UGQkP.jpg

ZBz3YbK.jpg

Looks like you have at least a month or so to go? Mine's finally looking nearly healed after all the raw, blistery couple layers of skin gone look. It's been a long haul since February. Mine kept reinfecting here & there. And as it dries up, it will definitely itch to drive you nuts. Mine still does, but thank God, no more Ace bandages! Those, & the cast padding wrap over all those pads drove me nuts! So it'll itch for some time until it heals more completely, growing baby skin under the blistered stuff. It feels good when Dr Eldridge uses that long gram-spoon looking thing to peel it a bit...

Hi everyone, new brewer here but have been lurking on the site for a while. All the post I read over on the homebrew thread on Reddit said that flesh additions should be made no later than 30 minutes into the boil, or else the skin oils will impact head retention. I was thinking of subbing flesh extract, but my LHBS is out. Planning on brewing it this weekend and racking on some fruit in secondary, so can someone please clarify when is it best to add the skin? Thx.

:ban:

Accidents happen, just glad for you that it wasn't worse that what it turned out to be. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

And BTW, how has no one suggested "Flesh Squeezed Lager" yet? Slackers.....:cool:

Hi everyone, new brewer here but have been lurking on the site for a while. All the post I read over on the homebrew thread on Reddit said that flesh additions should be made no later than 30 minutes into the boil, or else the skin oils will impact head retention. I was thinking of subbing flesh extract, but my LHBS is out. Planning on brewing it this weekend and racking on some fruit in secondary, so can someone please clarify when is it best to add the skin? Thx.

:ban:

Accidents happen, just glad for you that it wasn't worse that what it turned out to be. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

And BTW, how has no one suggested "Flesh Squeezed Lager" yet? Slackers.....:cool:

It has to be during the boil. The effect is just not the same. That being said, you can certainly wait to the last minute.

True, cooling the burned area is good to slow/stop the burning, but one should be careful of not causing damage with ice as well. That is why a layer of cloth between ice pack and skin is reccomended and be left on no longer that 20 mins. Of course 2nd and third degree burns need more attention.

When ever I touch something too hot in the kitchen I run cold water at the sink and do some self healing thoughts/meditation/hypnosis.

Glad OP is going to be okay, and appreciate the cautionary tale.

Thanks for asking, yes I'm starting to heal up a bit. At this pace I think it's gonna be about 2 more weeks to heal, with at least half of that time continuing to be bandaged up. It's still painful enough to be rotating through pain meds, but they do work, which is a good thing, because the docs told me that I need to be moving and stretching my arm and hand before it starts to heal. I wouldn't be able to do that if I didn't have the pain under control. It's also starting to itch something fierce. Recent pics of arm, hand and side (I don't think I mentioned that I burned my left side too, about the size of my hand).

Qpkjyty.jpg

W8UGQkP.jpg

ZBz3YbK.jpg
Nice new skin you are growing there.... Be well!

Wow! That looks horrible! I'm sorry that happens to you and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Since you broke you foot too I would call it :
HAND FOOT AND LAGER

Ouch!

Get well soon. Burns are some of the most painful injuries you can have. I feel for you. Do whatever the doc says!

The worst I've had so far was a 2nd degree burn across my chest and stomach from the tubing on an immersion chiller bursting and spraying me with boiling water.

Back