I did something stupid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHumanSwing

Reaction score
Ok... So I was doing my first batch of five gallon all grain, and everything was going great. Until I ran out of time. I had to go to work, do after I achieved my cold break I decided to cover my brew pot in Saran wrap and put it in my fridge until I got back from work. When I opened the new package of Saran wrap and pulled out the sheet, the roll itself popped out and half of it dipped in my wort. I pulled it out, cursed, and covered it as i planned. Is my beer ruined? What do I do? Re-boil it? Pour it out? Go ahead as planned?

Heck no. I think this sanitize everything in sight might be a little overkill.

I wonder how every little thing has to be spic and span, but what about the grinder that grinds your grain??? That doesn't get sanitized each time the LHBS grinds the grain.

I wonder how every little thing has to be spic and span, but what about the grinder that grinds your grain??? That doesn't get sanitized each time the LHBS grinds the grain.

Sanitation is not a worry hot side (all the way up until you turn out the flame on your burner).

That's one of the points of the boil to bring the wort to temps that will pasteurize it. In theory you could blow a big bugger into your mash tun and as long as you boil the beer you will be fine.

I don't sanitize anything that is used up to and during the boil. Everything used post knock out is sanitized like it's going into open heart surgery.

True, but that grain is used in a mash, wort is drawn from it and subequently boiled. Pre-boil spic and span and sanitized is overkill. Post boil spic and span and sanitized is the norm.

Having said that, I think the OP is good to proceed. Just get the yeast pitched soon so it out grows any other bugs.

Having said that, I think the OP is good to proceed. Just get the yeast pitched soon so it out grows any other bugs.

Agreed.

The yeast will lower the pH.. to the point where not much can grow in the fermenting wort. Sanitizing is proactive prevention. It helps but it doesnt guarantee.

Brewing beer is supposed to be therapeutic, not the reason why we need therapy. Just re-boil and go as planned.

TheHumanSwing said:
Ok... So I was doing my first batch of five gallon all grain, and everything was going great. Until I ran out of time. I had to go to work, do after I achieved my cold break I decided to cover my brew pot in Saran wrap and put it in my fridge until I got back from work. When I opened the new package of Saran wrap and pulled out the sheet, the roll itself popped out and half of it dipped in my wort. I pulled it out, cursed, and covered it as i planned. Is my beer ruined? What do I do? Re-boil it? Pour it out? Go ahead as planned?

You will be fine, just proceed as normal.

If your beer doesn't turn out good or it gets infected we're going to blame the cursing. :cross:

Back