I did it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabber

Reaction score
Well Saturday I brewed for the first time. I brewed the Irish Red Ale from Midwest Supplies. The whole 1st process went great. I can now see why boil overs happen!:D I luckily didn't have one! I got everything done and put it to bed. The next morning (6:00am ) it was bubbling a little out the airlock. Within the next hour it started going good. It was still going pretty good this morning. This was alot of fun and Look forward to the next process and the start of another brew!

dabber

Congrats. Remember brew often and always remember to RDWHAHB (well in about 5 or 6 weeks anyways)!

Came home at lunch time and the bubbling has stopped. Will it hurt to let it sit for the seven days?

dabber

It started Sunday morning(6:00am) and was going crazy all day and night. Then this morning it had slowed, but was still going. At lunch today(Monday) I didn't notice any activity. Any thoughts?

dabber

I can appreciate your enthusiasm. I can still remember my first batch fermenting away fifteen years ago. Even to this day, there's something magical about watching an airlock bubbling away and knowing there's going to be beer in there. I almost hate to say it; but I wasn't as excited when my SWMBO was pregnant with our daughter. Oh I knew there was a baby "in there", but there was a lot of apprehension too. At least with a beer, if it's not the best batch you can still enjoy it, and if it's a terrible batch, you can just dump it down the drain and brew another one...not the same with a kid. Of course I'm just kidding. My wife and I were blessed with the greatest daughter ever and it was the perfect excuse to brew up a batch of celebratory beer.

erbiumyag said:
I can appreciate your enthusiasm. I can still remember my first batch fermenting away fifteen years ago. Even to this day, there's something magical about watching an airlock bubbling away and knowing there's going to be beer in there. I almost hate to say it; but I wasn't as excited when my SWMBO was pregnant with our daughter. Oh I knew there was a baby "in there", but there was a lot of apprhension too. At least with a beer, if it's not the best batch you can still enjoy it, and if it's a terrible batch, you can just dump it down the drain and brew another one...not the same with a kid. Of course I'm just kidding. My wife and I were blessed with the greatest daughter ever and it was the perfect excuse to brew up a batch of celebratory beer.

That is a most excellent post! I am off of work today and am enjoying NB's scottish ale. It's been bottle conditioning for about 4 days now, so it's just got the tiniest hint of carbonation (my last batch was fully carbed in 5 days, and then stayed perfectly carbed for the 2 months it lasted without turning into a gusher).

dabber said:
It started Sunday morning(6:00am) and was going crazy all day and night. Then this morning it had slowed, but was still going. At lunch today(Monday) I didn't notice any activity. Any thoughts?

dabber

First of all, congrats! Your first brew is always exciting, especially if everything goes as planned.

It's possible that you got a very quick & healthy fermentation and that it is near completion. Questions:

What kind of primary fermenter are you using?
What is the ambient temperature of the room where is it being stored?
What kind of yeast did you use (dry, liquid, etc.)?

If it is a plastic bucket, check to make sure the seal is good and tight. Also, take a count of the airlock bubbles and see how often they bubble. I typically wait until the bubbles are every 45-60 seconds before I do anything.

You could always take a gravity reading to be certain.

I used a plastic bucket fermentor(ALE PALE).
The temp is staying between 70-72 degrees.
It is stored behind a closet door where it is dark.
I used the dry yeast that came with the kit(muntens?) I rehydrated the yeast before pitching.
I'm pretty sure the lid is sealed tight.

Like I said the thing was going crazy all day yesterday.

dabber

If it was really active it may be pretty much done by now. Just let it set until the weekend, no problems with that, and rack to your secondary. Congrats on your first brew.

My first two batchs I actually never saw ferment. I always saw bubbles clinging to the side of the airlock but never any bobbing up and down inside the airlock. My first two fermented over night and i ended up with great beer.

I am sure you beer will be great. And yes, you can just leave it in the primary for the next week and you will be fine!

Sounds like you've done everything correctly. You probably got a quick ferment since the ambient temp. was 70oF-72oF. The wort ferments a little warmer than the ambient temperture. If at all possible, I recommend keeping your ferment temp under 70oF unless we're talking about some wheat beers/weizens. Less chance for off or 'fruity' flavors that way.

Let us know how it progresses. My guess is it'll be great!
:mug:

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to post some pics of my progress.

dabber:mug:

Back