I Could Use Your Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andvari7

Reaction score
Good evening,

As certain as I am that what I am asking has been addressed, I need an answer more readily available. With that, my question:

I need to chill my wort, in order to properly ferment anything that isn't French or Steam Beer. My current living situation does not permit a fermentation box, and there is no way I can adjust the room or refrigerator temperature in my basement. Searching the Northern Brewer shop, I found an electric fermentation heater or two. That got me to thinking: is there a chilling option, similar to the Brew Belt, for example? If not, what kind of an option will work for me?

Thank you.

I have the brew bag and it works pretty well. You just freeze some 2 liter bottles filled with water and just swap them in and out every 24 hours. I haven't tried to go below 66, but I'm sure it would if you threw enough frozen bottles in there.

It doesn't bring the 5 gallons of wort down very quickly, but it keeps it at whatever temperature you need. For example, I put a 77 degree carboy in there and it took about a day to get down to 68.

Back