I Can't Wait to Drink These Doritos!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdharris99

Reaction score
For my third brew I decided to dry a small AG Irish Red. I was nervous beforehand about the mashing/sparging, having never done it before, but that part went well.

I had never done a full boil before. Turns out my stove was not hot enough to get a solid rolling boil on so much wort and my sink ice bath made for an excruciatingly long post boil chill. Gravity readings were close to predicted, yeast went fast and furious, tasted my gravity sampke at 1.5 weeks and it tastes like Corn Nuts. DMS, I assume? As I understand it there isn't much to be done, but I'm going to see it through. If for no other reason than because I don't want Revvy to yell at me. :D

Just let it sit for a good while on the yeast. Best thing you can do now. If you had healthy yeast they'll clean it up.

I thought DMS was a big deal with lager malts, but no much with ale malts. What's the deal with that?

I thought DMS was a big deal with lager malts, but no much with ale malts. What's the deal with that?

As I understand it, the lighter the malt the more potential for DMS. The base malt I used was 2 row pale, and I did jyst about everything I could have done to make the DMS come out (short of covering the pot during the "boil.") I'm still a new brewer, and honestly only found out about DMS after tasting the sampke and researching it. I suppose it could be sonething else, but my immediate reaction was to get on here and search for "my beer tastes like corn" and it almost always points to DMS.

My understanding, which may not be accurate, is it's a concern with lager malts, though maybe I'm thinking of the difference between mashing and extracts.

Back