I can't take it anymore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
I am 7 days in on 1st AG -- krausen is thin thin thin - shiny and almost greasy looking?? but nonetheless I gotta test/sample it -- it killin' me. Can I just sanitize the whole baster with my starsan and then go for it?? I have seen videos of Iodine? I would assume any sanitizer is ok?? Any mistakes to avoid in what Im probably making out to be a big deal?? thanks, doc

Just curious... What is tasting it at this point going to do for you? I'm just sayin'...

It will give you an idea of how your beer progresses. It won't taste good or done or anything, but it'll keep him from obsessing. Eventually, he'll get the idea that he can just leave it alone, but for new people it can be tough.

carnevoodoo is right -- I am not expecting this to be the finished deal -- as I newbie it is beyond tough to not get in it!!! I cant even say its gonna satisfy my obsessions. It will however give me the knowledge of progression that I dont possess and let me know my FG which is what I am really freakin out about anyway.. Im goin in and will let you know either way -- thanks, doc

Every taste of an incomplete beer is another notch on your education of how beer is made. If I only wanted to taste perfect finished beer I wouldn't brew my own!

If I only wanted to taste perfect finished beer I wouldn't brew my own!

I'm sorry, this reminds me of the line from National Lampoon's Vacation. "You may hate it now, but wait until you drive it".

I understand why we taste the hydrometer samples. The OP was wanting to taste the wort apparently due to worry. I was just suggesting that he would perhaps be better off relaxing. While it may be interesting to see how the flavor changes over time and through the various stages, if your wort doesn't taste good a few days into fermentation, there is little IMHO one is going to gain from the information to help it next time. Not at the risk of infecting the fermenting wort.

carnevoodoo hit it on the head.

Heck yeah pull a sample but pull one big enough to check a gravity so you know where you stand. Depending on the beer you may be close to done at day 7.

Ok, all of the above are true. I DID IT!!! Took psycho precautions with sterilization -- took hydro samle -- checked it with temp adjust and then drank it. First, I guess I am indeed freaking but also know enough to say the following. My SG reading which is freaking me was only 1.022 -- does it continue or am I STUCK? Second, at least prior to tonights sample I am not infected -- tasted quite normal. Only issue that shocked me was how "thin" it was. I say that meaning almost watery or like real thin/weak(not etoh) tasting tea. Understand that it was warm and not carbed yet but does this change over time or was my fementable yield low and it is what it is?? Did have nice hop taste though. I am very excited so far but just dont understand the natural progression etc.. doc

Take another sample in a couple days and see if it moved any. What was the OG? If it doesn't you may have a stall. Whats the temps? If the temps are cool you can really slow things down. You can give the fermenter a little rock back and forth to stir up a little yeast action. Depending on the style, it can taste thin and watery. Carbonation adds the mouth feel.

smurfe

You are the only one left responding -- appreciate the input. Now I am really confused -- did the agitation thing and now have new co2 blow off action. Know I exposed to o2 with sampling but also of note -- have been in about upper 60 fermentation range since pitching yeast which company says has 68-73 degree range activity - yet now at about low 70s - wander if I am having some post 7 day flare of activity?? just wandering thanks doc

Don't worry about the O2 exposure. You probably had some CO2 over the surface. The agitation mixes the yeast up out of the trub some into the beer ad gets fermenting again. Just check it again in a couple days to see if the gravity drops more.

smurfe

thanks for the input -- Im in Alexandria, Louisiana - grew up in the big BR -- Gonzales is some of my ole stompin ground. doc

I too have this obsession, but have sampled all of my worts at all of the stages. To be honest you can get a pretty good idea of what the beer will taste like from the beginning. What you cannot predict is how the flavors will mellow and turn over time ultimately resulting in a totally different flavor.

I am not speaking from any vast amount of experience, only five brews to my name, but it helps me understand it all a bit better.

Ultimately it is your brew, do what you want. Trying to save it till it has aged has been the biggest difficulty for me. Once I learn to do that, or get enough supply built up, I will be a happy man :)

When you're taking a sample, how do you sanitize the sample-taking device? With my first all-in-one kit I got a 'Thief' and I've used it to sample. I have some Star San mixed in a spray bottle & I just spray the Thief thoroughly on the outside. Does that seem like enough sanitization?

I submerge the whole thing in star-san, but mine's the kind that comes apart into 3 pieces so I can do that in a small bowl of sanitizer.

I have plenty of brews under my belt... but I still can't help being obsessive. Guess it's just my personality. I really like to see how my beer progresses over time!

Back