I can't believe this!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lusch

Reaction score
Hey folks just bottled my first Canadian red tonight and low and behold the capper that I borrowed from my brew shop capped all the bottles and a bunch of them are loose, I'm using corona majority as well as 15-20 screw-ons, never had a problem before using another type of capper but sure enough as soon as I change I get burned...My question is will the beers that are loose spoil overnight before I get to my buddys and get his capper to recap the beers?
Thanks
Andy

You should be okay for a day. Your beer may be a little less carbonated, but there's no reason for it to get contaminated. Be careful what kind of bottles you use... some brands are smaller than the "standard" caps. Clear bottles are your absolute worst bet for storing beer anyhow. UV will destroy your beer and make it skunky. If you buy corona in a 12 pack, it's boxed up nicely, but in 6s, the bottles are exposed. 12 pack corona and 6 pack corona never taste the same. 6 is always acidic and skunky, and you need the lime to cover the fact that you've got spoiled beer.

corona bottle user here. butterfly cappers in my experience (i dunno why) have a prob with the corona bottle. get a bench capper and you'll save yourself headaches in the future.

as far as the whole clear bottle thing - as long as you keep your bottles in a dark cool place - preferably in boxes. never had a problem here.

Back