I Brew For A Cause

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channel66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im just curious as to whether or not this could take off here. (moderators if this is out of place please dont hesitate to remove it, I apologize).

My family has been greatly affected by cancer in multiple forms, my mother has lost 2 sisters, her father, 4 uncles, an aunt and 2 cousins to to the nasty disease. Cancer research has come a long ways mostly thanks to generous donations. Spreading awareness seems to be the best way to get people on board. So I thought up this little project. (still entirely in the starting phases) I was wondering if this would be something that you guys would be interested in?

I have created a label with a barcode on it(just a rough draft right now I can make it fancier if you guys are interested) linking to https://www.cancer.org/involved/donate/donateonlinenow/index which is the donation page for American Cancer Society. All one would have to do to participate is print out the label and use it as a back label on your homebrew, its pretty simple, you are just donating a bit of paper, ink and time to spread awareness. If you are interested in participating but dont want to donate that much label space I can make the barcode available separately you can use it how you see fit.

This is a quick, easy, cheap way to allow friends and family to know that you are making an attempt to make life better for someone else, and that if they are able to, a quick, easy way for them to donate whatever they are able to, to do the same. The American Cancer Society allows the donator to choose what sort of cancer research their donation funds, allowing people to personalize their donation a bit.

Personally I am going to make a series of labels for my next few batches of brew containing this barcode, and information pertaining to the program, they wont all be this plain jane, but I figure as a universal back label simple is best.

Thoughts?

Rough draft of the label...

Ibrewforacause.jpg

I like it. It would be cool if you could figure out a way to auto donate a set dollar amount when scanned. Then you wouldn't have to fill out the form online. Sort of like those "text to donate" charities that show up on your cell phone bill.

I like it. It would be cool if you could figure out a way to auto donate a set dollar amount when scanned. Then you wouldn't have to fill out the form online. Sort of like those "text to donate" charities that show up on your cell phone bill.

I wouldnt know much about doing that. I feel as if people are more apt to donate if they can follow the link directly to a secure trusted donation based group, such as the american cancer society

On another note, Im not even sure that this would be legal, are there any federal laws that prohibit soliciting donations on alcoholic beverages? even if it is entirely up to the individual if they wanted to donate or not?

i like the idea - but i label with a silver sharpie. My 2 year old son was diagnosed last may with ATRT (brain cancer) and succumbed to his disease in september. we miss him every single day and know there are a lot of people going through what we did. we also were blessed enough to have very many people support us: spiritually, emotionally, financially- everywhere we sagged, someone stepped in to hold us up. i would encourage anyone to do what you are doing - that is create a new way in your way to wake people up to something that is killing our people and we are a very long way from figuring out... i would even start labeling- i don't think i would worry about the legality of this- it's no different than sending someone to a website that sells shoes. the amercian cancer society is selling hope- until the science catches up, i do believe that hope is the strongest thing we have to fight a terrible terrible monster...

I mostly keg but its a great idea. Maybe send and email to some craft brewerys with your idea.

i like the idea - but i label with a silver sharpie. My 2 year old son was diagnosed last may with ATRT (brain cancer) and succumbed to his disease in september. we miss him every single day and know there are a lot of people going through what we did. we also were blessed enough to have very many people support us: spiritually, emotionally, financially- everywhere we sagged, someone stepped in to hold us up. i would encourage anyone to do what you are doing - that is create a new way in your way to wake people up to something that is killing our people and we are a very long way from figuring out... i would even start labeling- i don't think i would worry about the legality of this- it's no different than sending someone to a website that sells shoes. the amercian cancer society is selling hope- until the science catches up, i do believe that hope is the strongest thing we have to fight a terrible terrible monster...

Im really sorry to hear that man. Im not sure if you are familiar but Northern Brewer has a all grain (extract too) kit called Emmas Ale, 100% of the profits go to childhood cancer research.

I have thought about contacting a few craft brewers, I have a few local to me that I think would be a good start, (shipyard, grittys, allagash) maybe contact the bigger guys too, we will see how well received the idea is locally first. I will draft something up tonight when I am out of work.

Im open to ideas and thoughts on the label design as well, want to make something that people wouldnt mind printing on their own, I figure something with only minimal color, and mostly text to save on ink etc. but If you guys would prefer a more detailed label I would be open to drawing something up in photoshop.

I fully support this. I don't label now, but I sure will be incorporating this into my upcoming brews.

My dad has cancer and while the technology is extremely advanced compared to 23 years ago when my grandfather died of the same disease, it is still not cured. The chemo has degraded his kidneys so much (they're working at 30% of normal) that he can only hope to enjoy one of my home brews in the distant future.

I brew for a cause!

:mug:

Once I get brewing I will do it, my grandmother, mother, aunt all died from some form of cancer. I have an aunt Who is a surviver and a grandmother with skin cancer. Once I'm cleared to ride a motorcycle again I'm going to do a iron butt ride from Maine to Florida for cancer and autism( my son has autism) raise some dough.

This is a great idea. I will be sure to do it when I bottle. My mother in law is fighting stage four brain cancer right now. She'd be so happy to see something like this take off.

Hats off to Channel66.

I label and I would be honored to put this on my bottles. Ive lost a godfather, two grandparents, and a close friend to cancer. If you have a file or something I can edit the soze of email it to me. I will put this on the 20 gallon batch Im doing for a party down in North Carolina. I love this idea. [email protected]

Spearko, I am so sorry. I have an almost 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. I can not imagine. Its incredible that you can share your story. Stay strong.

I label and I would be honored to put this on my bottles. Ive lost a godfather, two grandparents, and a close friend to cancer. If you have a file or something I can edit the soze of email it to me. I will put this on the 20 gallon batch Im doing for a party down in North Carolina. I love this idea. [email protected]

Spearko, I am so sorry. I have an almost 4 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. I can not imagine. Its incredible that you can share your story. Stay strong.

What file type works best for you?

i haven't labeled since my fourth batch (a christmas beer for my dad) like 15 years ago. i guess i like surprises, but this is certainly worthy enough to get a bunch of the colorform ones made up for...- channel66 - i really do think this is a great idea. thank you guys for the kindness about my boy - he was pretty amazing for a two year old...

Have you posted this in the labels forum? If not, you should. I got the email with the attachments. Thanks a lot. I am going to print a few dozen today so I have them when I need them.

I'm going to figure out a way to incorporate this into my brewing. I'll probably get a small sign printed up for brew fests.

I lost my brother 2 years ago to colon cancer (28 years old). I can't even begin to acknowledge everyone that helped out our family during his illness. Everything from paying for flights for family to come in, to getting the farming done for my father while he was dealing. I've tried to do whatever I could manage to raise awareness and funds for cancer research. But this will be away to incorporate my hobby and passion into raising funds.

Will you please email me the file to [email protected] as well.

Thanks for posting this.

Back