I am now hooked on batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copbrew133

Reaction score
I brewed a Jai Alai IPA clone yesterday and tried batch sparging for the first time. Could not be happier. No disrespect to fly spargers, as I did it since I started all grain a few years ago, but I am not doing it again. Saved me some time off my brew day & my efficiency went up by 11 percent. Granted I changed the gap setting on my mill from .039 to .035 and wet milled the grain for the first time. These probably effectively had a positive result, but the ease of batch as well as getting positive results has converted me. Cheers!

Batch sparging is what got me back into brewing after a 5 year hiatus. So much easier and more RDWHAB. I haven't tried wet milling yet, that will be the next batch :)

Wait until you go to no-sparge. Right crush can still get you efficiencies in the mid-70's, and you save even more time.

But batch sparging is cool, too.

I batch sparge and just tried BIAB for the first time three weeks ago and am equally impressed with the results.

Copbrew133 said:
I brewed a Jai Alai IPA clone yesterday and tried batch sparging for the first time. Could not be happier. No disrespect to fly spargers, as I did it since I started all grain a few years ago, but I am not doing it again. Saved me some time off my brew day & my efficiency went up by 11 percent. Granted I changed the gap setting on my mill from .039 to .035 and wet milled the grain for the first time. These probably effectively had a positive result, but the ease of batch as well as getting positive results has converted me. Cheers!

You'll have to let us know how it turns out and post the recipe. I didn't bring nearly as much Jai Alai back to Virginia last month as I should've. Cigar City did do a great job of lifting my spirits after watching the Caps lose to the Bolts.

What is our recipe for the Jai Alai clone? I have the real Jai Alai on tap at my house, but have always thought of making a clone of it.

Wish I could take credit for the recipe, but I got the recipe here on the forums, Jai Alai clone recipe posted by Cercueil, which called for aging over cedar. I like the regular Jai Alai without any wood aging like Cigar City does in their humidor series. To each their own. I'm just not adding the cedar or oak. I also went ahead and used the full pound of Caramel 60, a full pound of Caramunich I, and a half lbs. of Victory because I had those amounts exactly on hand and wanted to use them up. Kept the hops sched the same. Looks good in primary. I will definitely have to check out no sparge for the future.

If your tun is setup right, batch sparging can definitely give you better efficiency. Im a big fan of the simplicity and speed

Latest posts

Back