I am an idiot, please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CStang67

Reaction score
Ok so I am a special kind of stupid. For the first time I have 3 beers fermenting and apparently that’s to many to keep up with. I brewed an barleywine yesterday and I thought to hit it with some extra oxygen. Problem is I messed up and added oxygen to my strong ale that is at day 3 and the Krausen has fallen. Obviously fermentation isn’t 100% complete, but how bad did I just screw up this beer? And is there anything that can be done to mitigate the side effects? Thanks all!

As long as there's some fermentation taking place the yeast might consume the O2 you added and day 3 isn't too bad. You could always add some DME or sugar to boost the fermentation to keep it going a bit longer.

Yes add sugar or dme is your next hope. Do it quickly. Then drink it fast before any oxidation sets in.

On day 3 might not be too bad, depending on the OG, and where the gravity was when the oxygen was added it may have actually been beneficial.

A little oxidation in an old ale is acceptable and expected. You might have found a new preferred method.

So I added some molasses. Fermentation took off so fingers crossed. How long do you all think I have. I was hoping to age it a bit as it is a 8% beer

So I added some molasses. Fermentation took off so fingers crossed. How long do you all think I have. I was hoping to age it a bit as it is a 8% beer
I made a Strong Ale earlier this year. I packaged a bunch of it for aging but when I start drinking the bottles I'm calling it an Old Ale. Pretty similar in a lot of ways except that an Old Ale has a distinct aged characteristic.

On day 3 might not be too bad, depending on the OG, and where the gravity was when the oxygen was added it may have actually been beneficial.

OG was 1.065 and the gravity when I add oxygen was 1.035

Back