I accidentally switched the hops ***urgent***

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigemags05

Reaction score
I'm brewing an amber ale. Recipe called for an oz of cascades at the beginning of the boil and an oz of saaz with 15 left. I accidentally poured the saaz at the beginning. What is the best solution here? Do I pour the cascades at the 15 mark? Will this make my beer taste different?

Did I ruin it?

I'm brewing an amber ale. Recipe called for an oz of cascades at the beginning of the boil and an oz of saaz with 15 left. I accidentally poured the saaz at the beginning. What is the best solution here? Do I pour the cascades at the 15 mark? Will this make my beer taste different?

Did I ruin it?

Cascade, in this case was the bittering hop. Saaz is mostly for aroma, hence the 15 minute mark. You're gonna need some more bittering hops boiled longer. If that's all you have, I'd put the cascade in for as long as possible.

No,it isn't ruined. But the bittering & flavor will be a bit different. I think the bittering will be a bit lower. And the flavor a bit more citrusy. Not a bad thing at all.

Unless you pee in it, it's very hard to ruin beer.

Cascade has slightly higher alpha acid than Saaz, so you'll probably be a bit lower than your target IBU.

Both are used as aroma hops, so there's no problem adding the Cascade at the end of the boil. If you still have time, I'd add 1/3 of the cascade now, and the remaining amount for the last 15 min, per the original recipe.

You'll still have beer, and it'll have a little different hop profile than the recipe, but part of the fun of doing this is to experiment with changing around the hops a bit to get slightly different flavor and bitterness profiles.

RDWHAHB. :mug:

Ok I added the cascades.

It's not fun to do in the middle of a brew, but what was the AA% for each of your hops? What was the IBU estimate for that recipe? Do you have any hops to add at 15 mins or less? How long did you boil the saaz before adding the cascade? It's gonna be different, but I wouldn't say you ruined it.

As for saaz was 3%
Cascades was 6.3%
Ibu for recipe was 18

I added about half the cascades right after I realized the error. The rest about 15 minutes later. I don't have any more hops. But i do have more malt to add per the recipe

As for saaz was 3%
Cascades was 6.3%
Ibu for recipe was 18

I added about half the cascades right after I realized the error. The rest about 15 minutes later. I don't have any more hops. But i do have more malt to add per the recipe

It'll be bittered enough for sure. Aroma might be a little flat, but that's no show stopper. I would bet it will be fine.

I used a hops thats usually used for arom and boilied two oz for 60 minutes and during taste and smell test there was nothing to worry about b/c it smelled and tasted great! It might be different but not in a bad way. Its all a guessing game anyway. Take all these puzzle piece and put them together to make a perfect picture :) Dont worry i screwed up so bad the first time i brewed i didnt know what to do but everything worked itself out :mug:

just make the beer and keep track of your additions. keep a bottle or two for a long storage and brew it again the correct way.

side by side taste test will be a good indication of how they are different

Back