Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonogle38

Reaction score
I got a 4 gal. batch I'm working on and I just got my hydrometer. I'm looking and it's reading potential alcohol by volume 6.5 percent from the cider itself which is perfect. Every thing I read on here says add sugar. Thoughts?

No reason why you have to add sugar. My dad has done the Apfelwien, but I myself have done cider without the sugar. If you think that 6.5% is your perfect ABV then leave it just where it is. More sugar will only bump up the ABV.

If your expected abv is 6.5% it means you had good ripe apples, which should give a very tasty cider, no need for sugar.

I got a 4 gal. batch I'm working on and I just got my hydrometer. I'm looking and it's reading potential alcohol by volume 6.5 percent from the cider itself which is perfect. Every thing I read on here says add sugar. Thoughts?

Really? There are tons of posts on here that suggest sugar is unnecessary.

The less things I can add to my cider, the better.

If you want more than 6-7% then add sugar. Otherwise leave it and let nature take its course.

If it's been fermenting for a while already, you can't use the potential alcohol scale. To use that, you need to sample it before pitching yeast. If your cider has been fermenting for more than a day or two, it's useless.

If you have any of the same juice leftover, you can take a reading off that though.

Back