Hydrometer/wine noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_bygolly

Reaction score
Alright my cranberry wine I made 30 days ago has just been racked into secondary. I checked the sg and it measured out to 0.950. I just got this thing and don't know much about it, didn't even have it at the time I first made the wine so this is the first reading.

Does the reading go up or down as it ferments?
Cause when I racked it today it was still active (I was seeing a bubble about every 50 seconds or so) and it's not far away from the last number on my hydrometer, which is .999 and I'm guessing is the same on everyone else's. It was also SUPER strong while my blackberry wine I racked last week was really weak tasting. The blackberry reading last week went straight to the bottom of the bucket (I didn't think to put it in a "tube" or whatever it was called, it may be called a wine thief) but once I added about 2 cups of sugar to get more alcohol in it it rose up to 1.022. I know I messed up by not taking readings when I first made the wines. I am not concerned with knowing the percentage of alcohol. It's just cheap homemade wine. I am asking for help because I want to be able to have a steady reading for when it is time to bottle.

Alright my cranberry wine I made 30 days ago has just been racked into secondary. I checked the sg and it measured out to 0.950. I just got this thing and don't know much about it, didn't even have it at the time I first made the wine so this is the first reading.

Does the reading go up or down as it ferments?
Cause when I racked it today it was still active (I was seeing a bubble about every 50 seconds or so) and it's not far away from the last number on my hydrometer, which is .999 and I'm guessing is the same on everyone else's. It was also SUPER strong while my blackberry wine I racked last week was really weak tasting. The blackberry reading last week went straight to the bottom of the bucket (I didn't think to put it in a "tube" or whatever it was called, it may be called a wine thief) but once I added about 2 cups of sugar to get more alcohol in it it rose up to 1.022. I know I messed up by not taking readings when I first made the wines. I am not concerned with knowing the percentage of alcohol. It's just cheap homemade wine. I am asking for help because I want to be able to have a steady reading for when it is time to bottle.

Your reading is NOT .950. Perhaps you mean .995? Most hydrometers go to .990.

Adding two cups of sugar to get more alcohol may work, if the yeast isn't pooped out but it may taste like rocket fuel if it ferments down to .990 after this.

I probably did mean that. The funny thing is I double checked the hydrometer to make sure the number was right haha. Adding sugar definitely worked cause the blackberry wine is looking active again. And I don't mind rocket fuel that's how we like it in the south

Back