Hydrometer vs Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it only takes a drop or two. how long would that take to cool off? it seems like putting it in ice water would make it too cold?

Ok, I brewed yesterday and used the new refractometer. I cooled all samples to 68f as I was checking everything against the hydrometer anyways. My preboil was 1.035 with the refractometer, and 1.036 with the hydro. Finished wort was 1.046 with the refractometer and 1.047 with 3 different hydrometers. I did get some wacky readings if I didn't chill the samples, I guess the only advantage is you don't have to draw a large sample to chill, I just put an ounce in a plastic shot glass and put that in a glass of ice water.

_

Not even a shot glass. Like I was saying, the tiny ml in the pipette cools off really quickly in a ice bath.

But how do you know when it's "cool enough". I did try that and it gave me some strange readings.

_

Back