Hydrometer troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarvisg

Reaction score
So I did a all grain Stout recipe out of The Joy of Home Brewing book. Its the Dusty Mud Irish Stout Recipe. I am doing it as a two gallon batch. So this is my 5th batch and I ran into some problems. I think the mash and boils went well. So here is the problem:
The recipe OG is 1.038-1.040 and the FG is 1.006-1.008 in the book.
This is the first time I have actually used the Hydrometer.
My OG I did before pitching the yeast as I was told. The Hydrometer just dropped to the bottom of the bucket. Since it did this I guesstimated a feel of a breaking point which was estimated at 1.145, I am sure is totally inaccurate.
Now when I went to go check on the Gravity to see if it was staying consistent I got 1.022 two days in a row. So my question is what did I do wrong and why is my FG so much different than the recipes? Should I let it sit till it gets to the 1.006-1.008 range or is that even a possibility at this point. I just hope I didn't completely waste a batch.

Thanks

:drunk:

How long has it been, If less that 2 weeks let it go another then check again. You may try swirling the wort gently to stir some yeast back into solution and raise the temperature a few degrees to try to restart the fermentation.

Post the recipe and someone can calculate what the OG should have been. 1.145 seems highly unlikely.
Also post your brewing procedure and temperatures.

I brewed on 10/10 adn fermentation was done by 10/13.
2.28lb American 2 row pale malt
.4lb english crystal malt
.28lb roasted barley
.2lb black malt
.1 oz 1st gold hops 2hbu
.2 oz kent goldings hops 2hbu
.2 oz willamette hops 3hbu
.1 tsp Irish moss
Irish Ale Liquid Yeats (Y-Labs)
Mash in 133 degrees for 30 minutes
Add water to mash, raised to 155 degrees for 45
raise to 167 dg, Lauter Tun Sparte with 170 dg water
Boil 60 minutes
Drop temp to 70 dg, pitch yeast, split in 2, 1 gallon jugs.
I think that is all. I know that when I added water to the mash after the 30 minutes it got a bit hotter than it was supposed to and I brought the temp back down for the remaining cook time.
I am not doing a Iodine test to check for conversion, Should I?

Thanks for all help!!

I did another 2 gallon batch of brown ale this time. I paid very close attention to keeping the temps right on target. Last time things were getting heated too much and I would have to wait things to cool down. In the end I got the og that was put on the recipe, much happier!!

Back