Hydrometer sticks to sides

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleinen

Reaction score
I kept having an issue with my hydrometer sticking to the side of the tube. I have now drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the lid of my tube so the hydrometer can float through that and keep it from sticking to the sides. Any issues with doing this?:tank:

I kept having an issue with my hydrometer sticking to the side of the tube. I have now drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the lid of my tube so the hydrometer can float through that and keep it from sticking to the sides. Any issues with doing this?:tank:

Your test tube has a lid? Huh, I've never heard of that before. In any case, as long as everything is clean the hydrometer shouldn't actually stick to the sides. It might bump it or touch it, but that shouldn't significantly affect your readings.

From the way you describe it, I think I had a similar issue. I use a thief to hold my hydrometer. My original hydrometer was so wide that it would rub against the sides while it equilabrated. I was always concerned it would throw-off the reading. Not sure if that is what you are talking about but the only way I fixed it was when I broke my hydrometer and had to buy a new one. Is this the same issue???

Seems like a good idea if it's not preventing the reading from being accurate. I just try to find the magical spot on my counter that let's it float freely.

I am using the tube it comes in and I also use sanstar. So I think when I pour the sample from my baster there is still some sanstar in it so I get alittle bit of foam on the surface of my sample. It seems to be just enough where it causes my hydrometer to stick to the side slightly so I figured if i can center the hydrometer in the sample it would cure the issue.

I give my hydrometer a spin and read it when it stops. If it sticks to the side then, it won't matter because it has already reached equilibrium.

Don't try to read the hydrometer immediately after putting it in the sample. Little air or CO2 bubbles, particulates and friction with the side of the tube can give an inaccurate reading. I always give it a spin or two then wait 5-10 or more minutes before I read it.

I have this same problem, and I was starting to wonder if it's due to using the plastic tube that the hydrometer came in?

It is *really* annoying and extremely hard to read. I fill the plastic tube with beer and give my hydrometer a little spin. It always ends up tilting and getting stuck the the side. I think part of the problem is that the plastic tube it comes in doesn't have a stand, so i have try and hold it steady on the counter. And I don't think it being plastic helps...

Does anyone have similar problems with the higher quality hydrometer tubes? Any tips to getting this to work better?

Definitely have this same issue. Honestly, the weights in the bottom of the hydrometer look visibly unequal so I don't know.. but it definitely does not only touch the sides by actually stick to them.

Glue the tube to an old cd or similar flat object. Then you have a stand, and you can spin the hydrometer, walk away for a few minutes, and then come back and read it. I found the plastic endcap from a roll of plastic wrap in the warehouse I work in. It had a hole through it that just fit the hydrometer tube, and is wide and tall enough to sit solidly on the counter.

Buy a hydrometer test tube, it will work much better as it is about 1.75" in diameter.
Breakdown Test Jar - Hydrometers & Refractometers - Testing & Measuring - Equipment - Brewing : Northern Brewer
The tube the hydrometer comes in is meant for storage and was never intended for use as a hydrometer test tube.

Every one of these that I've found seem to get mediocre reviews. Anybody know of a solid glass tube with a glass bottom, or something plastic that is worthy?

Every one of these that I've found seem to get mediocre reviews. Anybody know of a solid glass tube with a glass bottom, or something plastic that is worthy?

I have had great results with the one linked to in the post. I don't see any reason for a glass version, as it will probably get broken twice as often as a hydrometer.

Anyone checking the surface on which the tube sits? If its slightly off level, then the hydrometer will not sit plumb inside and stick to the side.

I was actually told by my LHBS owner that you were supposed to use the plastic packaging tube. I haven't had a problem so far and definitely can see no reason to go buy something else, when this works quite well.

I've went through a couple hydrometers and they've all stuck to the side even with the proper tube and a big spin, usually throws the reading off by three or four points, I just use a pencil or something else to push it off of the sides. Definitely annoying though

I use a Fisherbrand CAT#08-555D graduated cylinder as a hydrometer sample jar. It is, by a large margin, the ultimate hydrometer jar, and you should buy one, because it is just that awesome.

I use a Fisherbrand CAT#08-555D graduated cylinder as a hydrometer sample jar. It is, by a large margin, the ultimate hydrometer jar, and you should buy one, because it is just that awesome.

Hell yeah!

C675-01~wl.jpg

Well, before I went with the refractometer, I did this. Kind of what you're looking for? It's a milk cap.

Hydro.jpg

Latest posts

Back