Hydrometer reading,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff20578

Reaction score
Just brewed a wet hop and too the gravity reading. Is this saying 1.031? If so, is this leaning towards a weak abv final?
Thx

Attachments

• BDBAA058-593F-4744-8CE3-D832AC5B3046.jpeg
    BDBAA058-593F-4744-8CE3-D832AC5B3046.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
That's between 1.028 and 1.030... what was the wort temp when you took the measurement? Most hydrometers are calibrated for 60-68F, requiring an adjustment for hot wort...

Depending on the yeast you're using, you'll likely wind up right around 2.25% ABV.
On my hydrometer I believe the adjustment for 71.5F is + .004 so, not much help there.
What was your recipe/process?

If you did partial boil extract with post-boil top-up, then you could have an anomalously low reading due to wort stratification. You really need to mix aggressively to homogenize the wort after top-up in order to get an accurate OG reading.

Brew on :mug:

That’s not good.
7.5 gallon
Mash 60 min @ 150
.05 cascade pellets 60
7 oz wet hop cascade 10
7 oz wet crystal 5
8 oz we cascade whirlpool for 20.

so I filled the carboy and pitched. I forgot to take the og inthe carboy prior to pitching, so I grabbed the sample from the supply line and the little that was left in kettle.

Last edited:
10lb 2 row
.5 Crystal/caramel
.5 carapils
.5 Munich
11.5 lb total

QUOTE="dawn_kiebawls, post: 8978595, member: 242941"]
What was the grain bill? How finely was your grain crushed?
[/QUOTE]

i'm just wondering why there's so much foam? is it done fermenting? if you're taking a sample while it's activly fermenting the bubbles will push the hydro higher.....

Is it possible your sample was diluted?
I'd take a new sample from the fermenter. Make sure to give it a good stir first.
Use good sanitation!

OTOH, as @bracconiere mentioned, the sample in the picture looks like fermenting or fermented beer.

i'm just wondering why there's so much foam? is it done fermenting? if you're taking a sample while it's activly fermenting the bubbles will push the hydro higher.....
I circulate the wart through a chiller plate to cool. It goes back into the wart with a hose and tends to splash and cause foam.

At this point I’d just hope that it’s a bad OG reading, let it ferment out and take a FG with both a refractoneter and a hydrometer. You can play with one of the online calculators with both values to get an approximation if the actual OG and final ABV.

Latest posts

Back