hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcraft18

Reaction score
OK so I did my first batch 2 weeks ago and just put it into the secondary. I don't think I am stupid but I feel like an idiot reading my hydrometer. I didn't understand it when I put it into the fermentation bucket and didn't write down a reading...now I put the brew into the secondary... is it possible that the measurement is almost the same as before...could there be now alcohol in my beer? Now I feel stupid :(

OK so I did my first batch 2 weeks ago and just put it into the secondary. I don't think I am stupid but I feel like an idiot reading my hydrometer. I didn't understand it when I put it into the fermentation bucket and didn't write down a reading...now I put the brew into the secondary... is it possible that the measurement is almost the same as before...could there be now alcohol in my beer? Now I feel stupid :(

Can you sanitize a turkey baster or a wine thief or something, and then put the sample in a test jar and float the hydrometer in it? It sounds like when you took the reading that the hydrometer wasn't floating freely. If you take a sample now, and put it in the test jar with the hydrometer and post a photo, we can take a look at your reading and see what's going on.

When you take a gravity reading, suck up a sample with a wine thief or turkey baster and put it in a hydrometer jar, then take the reading.
Putting the hydrometer directly into the fermenter doesn't work well because you need to get your face right down at the beer level to dead it correctly.
You need to take an original gravity, and a ending gravity to verify a couple of things:
Original gravity reading will tell you if you have the correct volumes and sugars.
Ending gravity will tell you if your fermentation is complete, and what the alcohol by volume is.
What is the gravity reading now?

First off, rather than putting it in the fermenter directly, you generally want to have use a sample of the wort in a measuring tube (a tall, thin cylinder just a bit wider and taller than the hydrometer itself). This makes it easier to read, and means you don't need to sterilize the hydrometer (just don't pour the sample back into the fermenter).

As for the measurement, if there's been any fermentation, then it is safe to say that the reading ought to be lower than before fermentation. Alcohol has a lower density than water, which in turn has a lower density than the wort sugars. How long did you have it in the primary before racking it to the secondary? You generally want at least a week, though really the best way is to take a sample and do a hydrometer test - if it remains the same for more than 3-5 days, then you can (depending on the style you are brewing and how long you want to age it) either rack to secondary or proceed to bottling.

My advice is to stop off at your LHBS and pick up a hydrometer measuring tube and a winethief (a special device that can be used to safely take samples of the beer without much risk of contamination). The measuring tube is probably about $2-3, and the winethief $3-8 depending on the model. If you can afford it, consider getting a refractometer - while it cannot give accurate readings of the fermented beer without knowing the original gravity, it can be used to check whether the gravity has stabilized, and uses a much smaller sample than the hydrometer does (and it is a lot easier to read, for most people anyway).

ForumRunner_20130324_190316.png

ForumRunner_20130324_190327.png

So does that mean I should bottle it now or leave it in the secondary for a little. I just put it in there today

So does that mean I should bottle it now or leave it in the secondary for a little. I just put it in there today

Normally, you'd take another reading in a few days and bottle it if the reading is the same. I don't use a clearing vessel ("secondary") too often, but normally you don't rack to the clearing vessel until the time that you've taken a couple of readings that are the same. At that point it can be bottled, or moved to the clearing vessel if desired.

I normally just leave it in the fermenter until the fermentation is over, and the beer is clearing, and bottle it.

I always secondary to help clear the beer. The added time also prevents diacytel. NEVER rush a beer. It's worth the wait.

Back