Hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just bought a Hydrometer, i can not find a trail jar anywhere. Is there anything else i can use instead? as what is the best way of using this? do i just get my sterilzed vessel (again what can i use instead of trial jar) and dip it in fermenting bin to get some beer and then put Hydrometer in?

Many thanks gang

Chris

Hi Chris,

Did your hydrometer come in a clear plastic container that can hold the wort? You can always use that. I've heard of using a water bottle, but that's a lot of wort to remove. I use a sterilized dedicated turkey baster to get my sample into the container.

Good luck.

Yep, you can use the plastic cylinder that the hydrometer is packaged in. If for some reason you don't have one of those, then you can buy a cylinder jar from many home brew sites online. www.austinhomebrew.com has one I know. You just need a tall narrow clear tube, just wide enough so that the hydrometer fits, taht way you waste as little beer as possible. I'd also get like a turkey baster like gaelone said to college your sample.

I use my Thief. It's pretty easy since I use the Thief to get a sample to start with. After you withdraw the Thief, full of a beer sample, just drop the hydrometer in through the top of it.

Chris, I grab my sample for the hydrometer with a 60 cc syringe... very easy to sterilize. Make sure you don't put the sample back in the wort... use your hydrometer as an "unsanitized" tool, and discard or drink the sample.

Back