Hydrometer in Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinsteg

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering... Instead of having to pull some small samples out of the primary to measure gravity, why couldn't one just put a sterilized hydrometer in at the start of fermentation and leave it there till bottling? Would it make it easier or are there problems with doing that I have not thought about?

kevinsteg said:
This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering... Instead of having to pull some small samples out of the primary to measure gravity, why couldn't one just put a sterilized hydrometer in at the start of fermentation and leave it there till bottling? Would it make it easier or are there problems with doing that I have not thought about?

It might get very crusty looking and hard to read. Pull a sample, taste a sample...:D

And the crusties will weight it down & give you false readings, which you won't be able to read.

You could just pull a sample and set the hydrometer tube next to the fermenter. That way you can clean the hydrometer as necessary. I do this some of the time. For whatever reason, the wort in the tube ferments faster than the bulk.

And, if you bump your fermenter, you could break your hydrometer in the beer! Then you'd have to through away 5 gallons of beer wtih glass shards. It's easy to use a sanitized turkey baster or wine thief to take whatever samples you need. I usually only check the sg after about 10 days or so, to see if fermentation is done, and/or at bottling.

it'd be very hard to remove that hydrometer without breaking it...they're just so fragile.

and you can't tie anything to it as the minor change in weight would throw off the readings.

Freaking hydrometers... I break at least 4 a year.

I'd recommend taking samples for the very reason that Yooper mentioned. One wrong move and you could have shards of glass in your beer. NOT GOOD!

when you take samples with a turkey baster, make sure you know how much you need in your test jar for the hydrometer to work because I ended up having to crack my barrel like 3 times last night in order to get a large enough sample....i know i'm a moron..

I had the same Idea and left my hydrometer in my carboy, but like everyone said it got a little crusty. But If you do and need to get your hydrometer out of your carboy just fill it with water.

I used to do this. There is an obvious risk of breakage, but I've not had a problem(out of maybe 20 times).
You definitely have to wait until the krausen falls and everything starts to settle.

Back