Hydrometer help...with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
So I just learned that I should be reading my hydrometer at the bottom of the beer that creeps up the side, which makes it a little more difficult for my eyes.

This sample was taken on Tuesday.

ForumRunner_20121012_175539.jpg

This sample was taken today.

ForumRunner_20121012_175628.jpg

It is odd but it seems like today's sample doesn't creep up as much. What do y'all think? What are the readings? It looks to me like I'm not ready to go to secondary tomorrow for dryhopping.

It's difficult to compare these two photos because of the different angles, but it looks like you are at 1.015 in pic1 and 1.014 in pic2. How long has this been been fermenting?

Top of meniscus or base of meniscus, that is the question. I'm sure there is a scientifically correct method. But for now, just read it the same way each time for consistency. To me, it looks like it dropped slightly on the second reading.

dickproenneke said:
It's difficult to compare these two photos because of the different angles, but it looks like you are at 1.015 in pic1 and 1.014 in pic2. How long has this been been fermenting?

Three weeks tomorrow. 1.062 SG. Really want to get this in secondary for dryhopping so I can get something else started.

woody34 said:
Top of meniscus or base of meniscus, that is the question. I'm sure there is a scientifically correct method. But for now, just read it the same way each time for consistency. To me, it looks like it dropped slightly on the second reading.

I also was thinking that if you are consistent with how you are reading it shouldn't matter if you go off the top or bottom.

woody34 said:
Go ahead and transfer.

That's what I was thinking. Target is 1.012 - 1.018 and I hit 1.018 about a week ago. It is pretty dry so I don't think it would go much further.

As long as you are always reading the same way, your error will cancel out. Want ABV? It's the difference in the readings that matter. Want to know if fermentation is done? You're looking for a change.

Always the bottom of the meniscus... learned that (and actually remembered it) in 7th grade science.

Yup,7th grade life science class here. You read through the base of the meniscus. So the 2nd pic is a hair below 1.016. Glas I got my new seamless trifocals...easier to read now.

How does the scale on the hydrometer work? How do your read it and tell what it says?

Scratch that, just realized that was a video up top. Thanks for posting it, very helpful.

I kept getting confused on 1.1 vs 1.01 etc...got it now.

1.000 mark is gravity of water at 66F. Then you see 10,20l,30,40,etc. these read 1.010,1.020,1.030,etc. The small markings in between the numbers are 2,4,6,8. Read for example as 1.018,1.024,etc. And always read through the meniscus,not at the top of it. That's where the beer curves up the side of the hydrometer.

That's what I was thinking. Target is 1.012 - 1.018 and I hit 1.018 about a week ago. It is pretty dry so I don't think it would go much further.

Since you're going to secondary, it should be ok. But when bottling, it is essential that gravity is stable - not just in the target range. Not stable = bottle bombs. It is stable if the gravity is the same on readings 2 or 3 days apart.

Latest posts

Back